Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Transgender Support and Discussion Topic

Dsanders

Now I'm just curious and this question is directed to all the trans people here: have you started hormones yet? If not, what steps have you taken so far to transition and feel more at home with yourself?

How do you work with your voice? As in, what all does that entail

There are ways to feminize your voice. It's all about working on your resonance, pitch, inflection, and intonation. It's like speaking more from your head than your chest (which guys do when they speak).

Then again I'm no expert :P I haven't even started. 

@, Oh wow!! Well forget what I said because the girl above me actually knows what she's talking about. 

Btw, I think you have a unique female voice! You were into character when you recorded that, right?

• Brohoof 1

@, Oh wow!! Well forget what I said because the girl above me actually knows what she's talking about. 

Btw, I think you have a unique female voice! You were into character when you recorded that, right?

Hehe, um, thanks.  :fluttershy: I was in my character in it. ^^ 

While I have thought about this many times, as I have been unsure of me being transgender and being unsure of my sexuality, I turned out to not be transgender. Though to people who are transgender, I'm very happy for you expressing your opposite side :D

• Brohoof 2

Currently, I'm still in the waiting process to get approved of in the first place.  I will be speaking with a gender therapist about it later this month, she knows much more about the process than I do.  I kind of wish this would go by quicker though, I just really want to get all of this stuff started.  I'm a bit excited just talking about it.  A few days ago, a woman at a restaurant referred to me by "accident" as a sir.  I always thought that I wouldn't be able to pass at all and it was pretty nice to be called by male pronouns for once, even if she might have considered it to be a mistake(even my mum won't refer to me by male pronouns).  

Just a bit of an update in regards to my topic about speaking with my mum about trans stuff.  I still feel as though I can't talk to her but I have mentioned wanting a ribbon shirt in the recent past and she said I should talk to somebody here about how to make my own(a few months ago she might have just asked me why I would want one in the first place) so I guess that counts as progress.  :D 

• Brohoof 3

I like to think of myself as a boy sometimes, it gives me comfort, despite liking being a female. I don't think I could go through with transitioning. But to daydream as a guy, embracing a girl, or trying on guys clothes, gives me comfort. 

I know it's weird, but I get jealous about trans guys. Especially those who pass or are transitioning. I think it's internalised transphobia, because I want to just... wake up one day and be a guy and not worry about transitioning, binding my chest, worry about passing. Any of that. 

And I still love dresses and the colour pink and stuff... but the thoughts and feelings are still there...

Rant. Over.

• Brohoof 3

First off, awesome thread!

"Transgender" is a great umbrella term, and people have many ways of thinking of themselves.

Some things caught my eye though, so gonna ask.

we want to reassure people who are suffering with gender dysphoria

Sounds like a disease when you put it that way ^^'

"Suffering with gender dysphoria"....Gender is a social construct of which behaviors belong to each sex. It's completely artificial.

I support transgenderism

What's with the "ism"?

Edited by Starlight Sky

Sounds like a disease when you put it that way ^^'   "Suffering with gender dysphoria"

It's not a disease. It's not something contagious. Trust me, I'm transgender and I didn't get it from someone else lmao.

According to the description of dysphoria here, it's much like depression or anxiety. Some people suffer from depression and others may suffer from anxiety. It may not be a disease but you can still suffer badly from it. There is a reason why 40% of trans people attempt suicide.

What's with the "ism"?

Transgenderism is a formal noun to describe the state of being transgender while the word transgender is often used as an adjective. I like the distinction. It makes the terminology less confusing :P

Hope this clears up any confusion you may have had.

I may as well poke my head in here...as embarrassing as it is for me. However it is nice to know that there are people that are supportive and friendly towards those that are not exactly comfortable in their own skin. This fandom has been excellent at making them feel welcomed and loved, as well as extremely supportive.

Now for my own little rant I guess.

I personally identify as female. I prefer being referred to as such and all that fun stuff. However I am not exactly feminine, offline. As nice as that would be. I live in an area where being transgender is not exactly accepted, so I have accepted the role that is expected of me. My parents raised me to be a gentleman, and so I have strived to be one. It is not exactly what I wanted, but it is not uncomfortable I suppose, it is just not ideal. I might just be used to it after twenty something years of being that way. It does take its toll on me however, and my depression does not help.

In any case, I wish to change it. Slowly if need be, as it is difficult and frightening to make such changes. I am just unsure of how to begin. Not to mention I lack any real support, given that no one around where I live knows or would be welcome to the thought of having a "freak" for an acquaintance.

Enough about that though! Let us carry on with the thread.

• Brohoof 3

You are so brave. <3 Don't worry about being yourself here, at all. This is definitely the place. ^^ The whole state I live in is likely the worst state for being transgender. (Utah is full of Mormons and many country folk... who all mostly hate anyone who strays from how they were born. :v ) That being said, I know how you feel there... I also know how it feels to wish to change something that I was forced to grow up as. @-@

Something that has helped me has been having the chance to be who I am online and in creative works. I'm guessing that it has been somewhat the same for you? Anyway, if you know your family won't accept you, then I guess I recommend that you try to get as much support online and find some friends IRL who you can help as well for when you decide to change more physically. People might think you are weird, but they aren't awakened enough to understand that we are only being ourselves. If some people don't want to acquaint with you for being you, then there is no harm. Just acquaint with those who understand. :wub:  Do whatever you feel is right, and make sure to take baby steps. As for where to start, you can start right here. ^^ Just connecting with other people like us can help tons, trust me.  :kindness:

Yeah, Nevada is similar in that regard, as we are not known for being very understanding.

As a matter of fact, yes. My current ponysona was not my first. When I first became a part of this fandom, I had a different one. A stallion that represented who I was. As time passed, and I grew more comfortable being who I wished I could be, it changed, and he drifted away as Leaf came to be. As silly as it may seem to be that attached to a pony, it did help me somewhat to have a mare that was me. Something I could escape into being.

On the support front, that is why I am here. Somewhat. I am not exactly the best at making friends, as I am extremely shy. It is difficult for me, but I am trying to sort of, break out of my shell a bit.

• Brohoof 1

Transgenderism = transgender (but only as a noun).

It seems weird to me to say "I support transgender" :x

So, you view it in cultural terms?

I recognize everyone has a preferred way of thinking about things, it's just rare for me to see that "ism".

Most I know say, "I support transgender people". Using it as an adjective seems more effective in the public spheres by reminding us that there are people behind the cause, and the unacquainted probably find it more approachable (since it's how other minority groups are referred to).

Both are perfectly valid. I'm just curious as to why else you might use it.

It's not a disease. It's not something contagious. Trust me, I'm transgender and I didn't get it from someone else lmao.

According to the description of dysphoria here, it's much like depression or anxiety. Some people suffer from depression and others may suffer from anxiety. It may not be a disease but you can still suffer badly from it. There is a reason why 40% of trans people attempt suicide.

Transgenderism is a formal noun to describe the state of being transgender while the word transgender is often used as an adjective. I like the distinction. It makes the terminology less confusing :P

Hope this clears up any confusion you may have had.

You make it sound like I think it was xD

Technical definitions aside, the phrase "suffering from gender dysphoria" does connote a disease. At least, to me.

That's all I'm saying :P

As for "transgenderism", I get the idea, I just tend away from the usage. In the public sphere, the adjective seems most effective. Feminism is such an "ism", but saying women's rights sparks less controversy.

I got to talk with the traditional healer that I originally started talking to on this subject yesterday.  It was nice to give her an update on how that was going.  She also told me what my spirit name and colours were, so that was pretty exciting. ^_^ 

• Brohoof 2

You make it sound like I think it was xD   Technical definitions aside, the phrase "suffering from gender dysphoria" does connote a disease. At least, to me.   That's all I'm saying     As for "transgenderism", I get the idea, I just tend away from the usage. In the public sphere, the adjective seems most effective. Feminism is such an "ism", but saying women's rights sparks less controversy.

Oh come on, does "suffering from depression" also connote a disease? If not, what makes gender dysphoria so different? :P

Also I get what you mean about the whole "transgenderism" vs "transgender" stuff.  :smug:

I got to talk with the traditional healer that I originally started talking to on this subject yesterday.

Oh cool! Why exactly did you go see a traditional healer to talk about this? Just because? Just curious.

Oh come on, does "suffering from depression" also connote a disease? If not, what makes gender dysphoria so different?

Emotion trumps logic, always xP

They're equivalent, but fewer recognize gender dysphoria for what it is than depression.

That unfamiliarity, and the phrasing, makes it sound like a disease.

I'd use it for bookkeeping, since it notes the specific cause of discontent/anxiety; in everyday discourse, I'd break it down for people. That's all.

Oh cool! Why exactly did you go see a traditional healer to talk about this? Just because? Just curious.

I felt, at the time, that she was really the best person to start talking about the topic with.  I don't really regret doing that.  In either case, she was the person that urged me to talk about it with the proper people.  She sort of helped get the ball rolling, as it were.

• Brohoof 1

Well, another one here?

Yeah I only recently had the thought that something was not right with being in this body. I mean, the fact I have a Y chromosome apparently means that I should be strong, muscular, and have no care for beauty. At first, I fancied myself as a bigender, or someone who classifies themselves as simultaneously masculine and feminine. But I think my junk was the only reason I did that. The fact I have all this unwanted testosterone in my body.  It was causing some unconscious masculine behavior, and that behavior that really is not in my true nature. It'd be difficult to explain to people who don't go through it themselves.

I have shaved my entire body at least once (I do it in segments, it takes awhile), but it's rather difficult. I get cuts all the time. Those cuts make me get a more hollow feeling inside. Every consequence of trying to make me feel right inside my own body ends up depressing me. Being in an environment that does not support people like myself makes everything tons worse. I mean, I have to always wear men's clothing, and act more masculine than I truly am *sigh*.

This is the real experience of being transgender. It is difficult. You just have to be strong to go through this. Also,  Skeptics of it should open their closed minds more.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
I have shaved my entire body at least once (I do it in segments, it takes awhile), but it's rather difficult. I get cuts all the time. Those cuts make me get a more hollow feeling inside. Every consequence of trying to make me feel right inside my own body ends up depressing me. Being in an environment that does not support people like myself makes everything tons worse. I mean, I have to always wear men's clothing, and act more masculine than I truly am *sigh*.

I know exactly how you feel girl. It's been the exact same situation for me since I discovered that I was trans. It's so hard walking every day to college and seeing all these pretty girls walk by with their beautiful hair, cute clothes, cute figures, and perfectly shaven legs. I once tried to shave my legs completely but ended up with multiple razor bumps on my right thigh. It doesn't help that I have stretch marks along both of my thighs. Ugh!! I constantly experience so much envy for those girls that get to be themselves. It's almost unhealthy but I'm afraid I can't help it anymore. I always cry a little on the inside and sometimes I have to really try not to show it.

It's a bitch and I hope this therapy I'm going through will be worth it. I want to eventually get a referral to see a endocrinologist. We'll see what happens. 

Edited by Cassandra
  • Brohoof 2