Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If TV never existed ...

Reiki Knight 13

If TV  never existed and ALL MLP series from G1 to G4 were strictly radio or book would it still have succeeded and would you listen to it?

Oh, to clarify NO video type of any kind exists so no there won't be "web videos" either.

• Brohoof 1

ooh, good question. I think that maybe G3 and G5 would have been better suited to that? G3 read as a whimsical bedtime story for foals and G5 more is more like a standard kiddie book (I mean its creator is a kiddie author :P ). G1 was trying to ape toy-show content for TV at the time, I think. It needs its voice acting and animation is definitely needed to handle so many characters. Largely the same for G4, although ofc Twi and the gang pop well and Faust's world is very storyable... doubt it'd ever have got so big without animation though.

• Brohoof 1

If it was only a book or radio thing, I imagine I would still be interested in it, though this is coming from a perspective of my life as it is now. If TV never existed, the world would be drastically different and my upbringing as a child would have been completely different as well. It's likely I would not be anywhere near the same person I am today. 

But a "Book or Radio" form for MLP only has interesting implications. Fandoms and stuff around it would be far more small and localized, if TV never existed, than perhaps the internet too would not also exist, which would create a different landscape for the world completely. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh absolutely not.

Think of it like this. The Lord of the Rings has a very dedicated fan base, and while the books have a lot of detail, they're dense. If more effort is required to get into something, then there's a good chunk of people who'll find that off-putting.

Radio plays, audio books, and theatre portrayals will help immensely, but there's no denying how much the Peter Jackson trilogy brought out the fans from decades prior, while providing an ease of access for a whole new generation.

Without the visual medium, Fandom would be nothing like they are today, and the nerds would never have risen to a mainstream status in society.

Spoiler

For the record, I've never read the books nor seen all of the movies, but I'm aware of their cultural impact.

If television was of not... I am sure there will be more fit and productive people. Less you forget that the television or any entertainment  medium, is a weapon of the demon:griiin:.

Although without the telly im sure technology would be slower. The telly is needed in a lot of our technology. 

And saying the telly didnt exist pretty much shows how low the intellect of that world or how slow the technology moves. Because no matter what you do, if technology increases, it is inevitable that the telly would exist. And if radio was made, which is used to expoilt one's ear.... Then why wouldn't anyone exploit the eyes the ear and the mind?

Also there'll be less eye glasses and more hearing aids on that world.

When I was a kid, I sometimes listened to audio performances (where there are multiple actors who play characters, not just one narrator telling a story), either on the radio or from a cassette. If there was no TV, I probably would be more into them. 

I do not know if I would listen to MLP G4 though, as I was attracted to the cute characters first. Not seeing them probably would have reduced my interest. If there was no TV I probably would read more books, but, again, I do not know if I would buy a MLP book as when I read a lot of book, I always was looking for Science Fiction or Detective stories and MLP is neither.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I've never listened to any real radio performances or stories I do find them to be kind of interesting. Fallout 3's radio has its own sort of radio performance dramas, involving a character named Herbert "Daring" Dashwood (sounds like an MLP name :wacko:) and his partner, a ghoul named Argyle. They would play every so often in game which I guess has been my only introduction and experience with them. It reminds me of theater kind of, but obviously a lot of audio focused with sound effects and different storytelling. A very interesting media format for sure.

I think MLP in that format would be interesting to experience and listen to. Assuming I come across this hypothetical MLP radio show at the same age I came across FiM I'd probably end up listening to it. If I came across it as an adult, probably not? I just dont think there would as many opportunities to hear about the show as an adult without the internet.

Yes, I think the series would have succeeded and thrived.

When TV and visual media (excluding live performances) didn’t exist, people used whatever was available. Before TV and internet, there were thousands of radio shows and millions of books. People didn’t need the shortcut of a visual medium to enjoy a good, well-told story; they were used to getting their entertainment via the means available at the time. No one thinks about some as-yet-unknown form of future entertainment when enjoying what's available today. As long as it’s done well, it would be successful if properly distributed to audiences.

I listen to old radio shows and they’re just like any other entertainment; when you’re listening, you’re not thinking about what you can’t see on a screen. It’s just like a book; the mind creates its own pictures, and they’re often better than the movies and shows you see today because there are no restrictions on imagination.

A good example is ‘The Cinnamon Bear,’ a Christmas fantasy story presented on radio in 26 parts beginning on Thanksgiving 1937 and running until Christmas. It was elaborate, intricate, musical and humorous, and so enjoyable that it’s been repeated every single year on radio stations until this very day. This is a perfect example of great entertainment transcending the barriers of media format with perfect storytelling. I don’t see why our ponies wouldn’t likewise thrive in that or any other medium.

• Hugs 1