Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Snips and Snails

Tupin86

well personally... I hate them because they're lame yet have more time in the show than any other male pony... If they were just a little clumsy like Derpy it would be fine, but no... They have to take their lameness to a whole new level

You know I can hear you, right? ...Wait, what was I doing?

well personally... I love them because they're awesome and deserving of more time in the show than any other male pony... If they were only as awesome as Rainbow Dash they would still be great... But they take their awesomeness to a whole new level

You know I can hear you, right? ...Wait, what was I doing?

I'm so glad! You guys are the best!

:ph34r:

I don't 'hate' Snips and Snails, as a brony should never 'hate' :wub:

But I do dislike them very much. They're just plain retarded. And not in the derpy-who-is-awesome-and-funny 'retarded' but they're just plain stupid! :angry:

• 2 years later...

enjoy the characters of snips and snails simply for their comic relief. I never saw these two as characters to lead a lasting emotional impact . 

But then they had that scene in  flight to the finish  where they suggest that they could be the ones to carry the ponyville flag and everyone gave them looks that say "Are you serious? I mean...seriously...you guys?" and they smiled nervously and said "it could happen."

I don't know about anyone one else but when I was in my younger years people would laugh at the idea me being part of a big sports competition and for a good time in my life it really didn't bother me. But as time went own I began feeling useless. Other students in my life were either athletes,artists or ever exam-passing material and I didn't know where I fit in. I was just a face in the crowd. So one day when the schools annual swimming gala came round I decided to participate to prove those doubtful faces that  I was very much capable of competition.

I lost by a huge margin. :(

When the annual sports competition arrived and I wanted to  compete, the coach ,who had been supporting me at the swimming gala, suggested that it would be better if I just cheered from sidelines like I had always done.

I don't believe the writers would give these two such a story arc but if they did I would have even more of reason to love these two. For now I love them due to how I can relate to that scene. :proud:

(edited)

In a show full of characters that defy stereotypes and build emotional connections with the audience, Snips and Snails are entirely out of place. They enforce some of the most overused stereotypes in any form of storytelling and are unfortunately nothing more than that.

Them being high among the short roster of male recurring characters does not make matters any better, either. Even their names invoke an old rhyme that only served to propagate gender socialization, specifically negative views of boys among girls. If anyone sees this as an example of how MLP treats its male characters, it's unfortunately walking them back into the misandry debate. As a male fan of the show and someone who respects the crew of the show immensely, this is not the impression I would want anyone to get about male representation in MLP, even with positive examples such as Big Mac and Shining Armor, etc. Further sexism is implied in that these two stay around and even get prominent roles in Equestria Girls even after Derpy gets censored.

I don't believe any of this is intended, but for such obviously throwaway characters to stay around and heavily imply what they do is just unfortunate for the show and I think it would be for the best if they just called it quits for these two.

Edited by Wind Chaser

Oh, Snips and Snails...

Tweedledee and Tweedledipshit. Let's start with the fact that they fail as comedy. They, cumulatively, are equivalent to the worst portrayals of Season 4 Pinkie. The 'look at me, i'm trying to be funny" method of humor is forced, annoying and pointless. It also generates its humor by showcasing how dumb they can be and absolutely nothing else. With Pinkie, she has her low points, but with Snips and Snails, it's their entire character! In short, whenever you see them on screen, you can be sure they're going to take up our time and give us nothing in return.

They also fail as characters. While I won't go into the things Wind Chaser mentioned, because redundancy, but there's also additional things to add to the list. When they're contributing to a story, it's not as independent characters. They're an obvious plot device with little to no depth in and of themselves. They could be replaced by any other character or have their personality replaced, and no one would notice. Look at Boast Busters and Equestria girls to see exactly what I mean; Hasbro cares so little about them they re-wrote their entire personality just to fit them into the movie(Before, they were just fan boys who screwed up , now they're bullies).

Snails is also offensive, more so than Derpy. I mentioned this in another post, but the main issue with Derpy was her clumsy attitude and odd appearance led people to believe she was mentally deficient, even before she could speak. Snails is all the negatives associated with Derpy, personified. In fact, this one video sums it up; it speaks more of mental deficiency than anything Derpy has done. Let's have a moment of insight from Snails, shall we? 

How about another nugget of brilliance? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2R96sSmdY

And how about those cutie marks? People keep saying that it's because of the nursery rhyme, but there are problems with that. First, there's no character with a puppy dog tail cutie mark to complete the phrasing. Second, having a cutie mark that personifies the fact that you're a boy is pointless, it's akin to being named "junior", only you can't grow out of it. Finally, of all the colts we've seen in the show(Featherweight and Pips comes to mind), none of them act so mind mindbogglingly childish and stupid. If I could cite a reason for their cutie marks, it would be "sharp as scissors" and "slow as a snail", phrases that refers to Snips habit of providing the insight and Snails' habit of... yeah.

So yes, dumb, pointless, and borderline offensive, Snips and Snails is one of the few things that MLP:FIM could do without.
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really like them, they're a bit stupid, I don't like their voices and they're not very interesting characters... :(

EDIT: They have nothing to do with Derpy in my opinion, I don't know why. :wau:

Edited by Blobulle

• 1 month later...

Oh, Snips and Snails...

Tweedledee and Tweedledipshit. Let's start with the fact that they fail as comedy. They, cumulatively, are equivalent to the worst portrayals of Season 4 Pinkie. The 'look at me, i'm trying to be funny" method of humor is forced, annoying and pointless. It also generates its humor by showcasing how dumb they can be and absolutely nothing else. With Pinkie, she has her low points, but with Snips and Snails, it's their entire character! In short, whenever you see them on screen, you can be sure they're going to take up our time and give us nothing in return.

They also fail as characters. While I won't go into the things Wind Chaser mentioned, because redundancy, but there's also additional things to add to the list. When they're contributing to a story, it's not as independent characters. They're an obvious plot device with little to no depth in and of themselves. They could be replaced by any other character or have their personality replaced, and no one would notice. Look at Boast Busters and Equestria girls to see exactly what I mean; Hasbro cares so little about them they re-wrote their entire personality just to fit them into the movie(Before, they were just fan boys who screwed up , now they're bullies).

Snails is also offensive, more so than Derpy. I mentioned this in another post, but the main issue with Derpy was her clumsy attitude and odd appearance led people to believe she was mentally deficient, even before she could speak. Snails is all the negatives associated with Derpy, personified. In fact, this one video sums it up; it speaks more of mental deficiency than anything Derpy has done. Let's have a moment of insight from Snails, shall we? 

How about another nugget of brilliance? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2R96sSmdY

And how about those cutie marks? People keep saying that it's because of the nursery rhyme, but there are problems with that. First, there's no character with a puppy dog tail cutie mark to complete the phrasing. Second, having a cutie mark that personifies the fact that you're a boy is pointless, it's akin to being named "junior", only you can't grow out of it. Finally, of all the colts we've seen in the show(Featherweight and Pips comes to mind), none of them act so mind mindbogglingly childish and stupid. If I could cite a reason for their cutie marks, it would be "sharp as scissors" and "slow as a snail", phrases that refers to Snips habit of providing the insight and Snails' habit of... yeah.

So yes, dumb, pointless, and borderline offensive, Snips and Snails is one of the few things that MLP:FIM could do without.

I don't think a character can be offensive.And  having a mental slowness could actually make for interesting stories

Their fault Trixie was almost killed and the rest of Ponyville they should of left the town instead of getting those wicked 'staches

The idea is that they learned a lesson they humbly went down to accept their punishment.The CMC cause all kinds incidents yet there never told to clean up while snips and snails had to clean.

Honestly if they didn't have those voices they wouldn't get nearly as much hate.  I bet if they took the exact same dialogue and made them sound like they had the right amount of chromosomes they might even have fans.

• 8 years later...

Phew.. So after looking at all the disliking comments (which are a lot) 

First off i might be one of the few persons who actually likes them? Just for the simple reason of them being a little more different looking from the other ponies (and are really goofy to draw, that's what made them good enough for me) 

But yeah i can understand that coming from a show like mlp, having one dimensional characters like them isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea, personally i would have liked to see a little arc of them just one tiny eenie one so they would get a little more love 

Still think that the most close thing we have of a little more likable moment is Equestria Girls accountabilibuddies, warmed me uo a little to see the two friends caring for each other

Yeah mlp and EG are different stuff but yeah that's what headcanons are for yeah? I like to imagine stuff to give them a little deeper role in my mind