Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starlight un-equalised the changelings

Ninjaed

So I was chatting with a friend who said they like nicknaming Chrysalis either "Cheeselegs" or "Snugglebug". Showed him a gif of Chrysalis abusing Starlight to tell him he'd better not call her either in front of her, and looking at the gif, I saw a few changelings acting a bit shocked/surprised at Chrysalis's display of gratuitous violence.

I then remembered it was during Starlight's "there's another way for you" speech. It was showing a gradual shift in the changelings, as they were one after the other starting to question their old ways. After a bit more thinking though, I suddenly hit upon a realisation:

Starlight un-equalised the changelings!

Think about it. The changelings were all drones to Chrysalis. No names were given, same appearance, same abilities, same way of thinking, same everything. Only Thorax and Chrysalis were different.

Enters Starlight accompanied with crystal-winged Thorax. The changelings get to know of another way to live, a better one. Once they do change, they don't share the same appearance anymore to symbolise their newfound individuality (some didn't even have horns - animation overlook?).

But what makes this stand as intended and not coincidental is the fact Starlight highlights how Chrysalis's situation echoes her own.

Both were rulers adored by their subjects, ruled over "equal" subjects (who were all in need of something) while utterly despising "traitors". Both were proceeding as planned in their agenda...until some outsiders begin their meddling.

They then "equalised" the outsiders with an artefact, preventing them from using their special talents. All would have been over there and then had it not been for a "traitor". Said traitor helps them and eventually, they reveal to all those subjects that they can change.

Both rulers are then overthrown by their very own people (who are the ones saving the day), their artefact of sameness destroyed and are forced to flee from their own village/kingdom, beaten and alone with a heart in pain and despair yet dead set on revenge.

Starlight does try to prevent Chrysalis from walking the exact same path she has by extending her hoof, but just like Starlight did, Chrysalis didn't listen (need a "BUT I DIDN'T LISTEN" pic with Chrysalis now).

The bottom-line of this all is that Starlight broke a perfectly equal system, giving the changelings the chance to find their individuality. They're the ones who changed and saved the day though, Starlight was merely the catalyst. Still, it shows how far she's come since, and that she's starting to understand and learn from her past mistakes - telling Thorax to share his love being another such proof.

With this, the finale has reached a whole new level of genius for me and has become my favourite. What are your thoughts on this? :grin:

Bonus: here's the gif, feast your eyes upon this display of pony abuse, you sadists! But notice how the changeling to Thorax's left (so your right) has his eyes cast downwards then is acting shocked/surprised, and how the 2 changelings react when Starlight hits the wall.

1279656__safe_screencap_animated_queen+c

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 9

Starlight's choice of words resonated with some of the Changelings and their reactions indicated that they were starting to see that perhaps Chrysalis didn't have their best interests in mind. They've never once questioned her actions given her authority as queen made that an impossibility, yet Starlight gave them some much needed confidence and an incentive to question what they've been taught for as long as they can remember. Yet, they needed one of their own to take the initiative and that's where Thorax comes into the picture.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Starlight's choice of words resonated with some of the Changelings and their reactions indicated that they were starting to see that perhaps Chrysalis didn't have their best interests in mind. They've never once questioned her actions given her authority as queen made that an impossibility, yet Starlight gave them some much needed confidence and an incentive to question what they've been taught for as long as they can remember. Yet, they needed one of their own to take the initiative and that's where Thorax comes into the picture.

Huh, you're right. That's another similarity. Thorax for Chrysalis and for Starlight, Party Favor (I think?) wiped her fake equal mark. In both cases, it was one of their own who took the initiative and things snowballed from there.

:ooh:  :ooh:  :ooh:  :ooh:  :ooh:  :ooh:  :ooh:

MY MIND IS OFFICIALLY BLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great observation! I completely and fully agree with you.

Haha, ours were completely blown as well, trust me! :lol:

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 1

Huh, you're right. That's another similarity. Thorax for Chrysalis and for Starlight, Party Favor (I think?) wiped her fake equal mark. In both cases, it was one of their own who took the initiative and things snowballed from there.

And it was Fluttershy who took the initiative although her effort didn't turn out the way she wanted until Party Favour was able to fix the mistake.

• Brohoof 1

This finale was already my favorite before this realization, and it only became even more my favorite because of it. It feels like such a great way to bring things full circle, with Starlight effectively doing the same thing Twilight and friends did to her. That she dismantled not just another dictatorship, but another "Equal" one is brilliant.

As much as I'm kind of sick of the Starlight/Sunset comparisons, as whenever they're brought up people tend to ignore the differences, this does feel similar to the ending of Sunset's redemption arc in the Friendship Games. Both ending with the two helping to stop a situation incredibly similar to their own, though I feel this one is even more of a reflection than that was.

Now, I wonder if they'll continue down the path of similarities between Chrysalis/Starlight with another return and redemption, or if they'll differ from it? I could see it going both ways.

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Holy shit. o_o I never made this connection and how much it connects to Starlight's first appearance. This finale was already top tier to me but this makes it even better. :3 Brilliant post. Take a brohoof! And more if I could. XD

• Brohoof 2

If they could spare us more 6 seconds to show how hestitate the changeling are before they blast their queen, that would be better, oh well...

The parallels between Starlight and Chrysalis are brilliant. In Cutie Map/Cutie Remark, Twilight (hero) and Starlight (villain) are completely opposite side, Twilight is not a dictator and Starlight doesnt have friends, I dont think Twilight really put herself on Starlight shoes, she just know becoming a dictator because of losing a friend isnt right IN COMMON SENSE. However, right here, in this finale, Starlight (hero) who share the similarities with Chrysalis (villain), and Starlight is the perfect rival of Chrysalis (only a conman can con a conman :D), a mutual understanding must be formed, in short, they are the perfect match.

If Chrysalis will be defeated again, and reformed (I hope not), Starlight is the ONLY ONE to fit for the job.

If Chrysalis and Starlight become soul friends in the end... if it done right... I will shit myself...

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I thought this was pretty obvious to most viewers. Starlight was once leader of a bunch of equalized drones. Chrysalis is also a leader of a bunch of equalized drones. Starlight realizes how her leadership is flawed and relinquishes it, she sees the same issue with Chrysalis and her hive.

Bee hives and ant farms work a lot like communist nations. In fact communism only works with bees, ants and maybe robots, just not with humans and other mammals.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, absolutely right!

Starlight forced regular ponies to become equalized drones. Yet she rendered the changelings different by showing them that sharing love is the way. Those two changelings who witnessed Starlight being slammed into a wall saw it and a spec of compassion showed.

• Brohoof 1

Nice catch Ninjaed. You might be on to something there. If it was not intended, it sure was a lot of happy coincidences all lining up nicely. Kinda surprising no one has caught on to this idea before. Will be interesting to see how it goes from here though... and what new ideas can flow from it.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, absolutely right!

Starlight forced regular ponies to become equalized drones. Yet she rendered the changelings different by showing them that sharing love is the way. Those two changelings who witnessed Starlight being slammed into a wall saw it and a spec of compassion showed.

You may just be making a really good point, here. The changelings were not only in doubt, but were starting to feel empathy toward Starlight. She was telling them of another, better way and here's Chryssy slamming her right and...right. So they start feeling like "hey, stop...if she's saying the truth, no need to get violent with her".

Nice catch Ninjaed. You might be on to something there. If it was not intended, it sure was a lot of happy coincidences all lining up nicely. Kinda surprising no one has caught on to this idea before. Will be interesting to see how it goes from here though... and what new ideas can flow from it.

That's so many happy coincidences I simply can't view that as not intended. Regardless, it definitely is mind-blowing - especially how it's sooo obvious like cider float said that you can't help but wonder "how did I not catch that before?". Looking forward to what can come from this. :twi: