Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music I made some midtempo starlight glimmer song

ztrash

I made this song to resemble some image of starlight glimmer that's in my mind. I'm not really sure what genre it is (I never think of a genre when I make music).
I like how it sounds, other than the clearly apparent mixing issues. Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

criticize me if you'd like, there's nothing wrong with learning

Edited by Zizkil

Ok.

It's an ok listen.

However, I am not getting the Starlight Glimmer vibe in this piece at all. It is more of a standard hip-hop street strut. If you want to make it more Starlight Glimmer, add more pads and speed up the piece.

Watch your bassline, you were limiting it to the tonic key of Eb minor. Instead repeating moving octaves, you could run it through 3 sets of moving octaves and end with a fast lick. Your bass sound could be a little brighter. I'd make it more of a plucked lead as well. This way, if you choose to run it through a filter, you will be able to fatten or thin it out. Fatten it for the lower end and thin it out when it is playing in the higher end. Nice depth you have on it as well.

That strummed lead sounded good. I would vary it up instead of keeping it at a double synchopatioj pattern on eighths. In fact, arpeggiating it with chords works well over the bassline. The semi-plucked sawtooth lead in the middle was a bit dry. I like the use of maxed vibrato, but a slow and deep chorus would give that lead more impact in your song.

I like that filtered fat sounding plucked saw lead you had running in the low bass. Syncing that lead would give it a descending flanger effect. If you don't know how to sync your synths, you can run a wide flanger or a phaser on that lead.

Your percussion could use more variance. Add some fills and transitions so that way you can change up your rhythms. Toms are your best friend for fills and transitions.

All in all, it's a decent track but it could use more development. I'm here if you have questions about what I said in my critique. You may PM me at anytime.

• Brohoof 1

@@Zizkil

Just letting you know I moved this to Pony Fan Music as this was MLP related.

Thanks. :)

@CThunderDash

I get you, it doesn't sound anything related to starlight at all (it's just this random image I had in my head while making the song). It's why I didn't add the song to the pony music thread. Yeah, I'd like to vary the drums a lot more and the middle does sound dry. I just got tired of working on that track. I like your advice on the bassline a lot. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for criticism, I think that'll help me on my songs for a while.

Edited by Zizkil
  • Brohoof 1

@CThunderDash

I get you, it doesn't sound anything related to starlight at all (it's just this random image I had in my head while making the song). It's why I didn't add the song to the pony music thread. Yeah, I'd like to vary the drums a lot more and the middle does sound dry. I just got tired of working on that track. I like your advice on the bassline a lot. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for criticism, I think that'll help me on my songs for a while.

No prob. If you have any questions about the terms I used, feel free to pm me anytime