Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Of Servers, Downtime, & Finances

Twilight Sparkle ✨

After CleverKite asked us to leave with the disruption that the attacks on us have been causing to their network, I've moved us back to my VPS over at ServInt (the same one that hosts our game servers). By the way, if you happen to see this, Orien, no hard feelings! I know you lurk around the forums a bit. :)

This VPS, however, isn't nearly powerful enough to properly sustain us for much longer, so we will be moving to a much more powerful dedicated server in the coming days (at the moment, we are incredibly close to its limits, and cross past them during peak hours). The move should significantly speed things up and will be a boon for future growth. The specs on the thing are beyond awesome, and we won't be sharing it with any other customers, either.

Unfortunately, however, this dedicated server is also going to cost over $300/month. This is... a lot of money, and it doesn't even take all of our other expenses into account. With a little more pushing of donations, I imagine we should be able to cover that, though, and we have some ad income to back things up as well. If anyone is interested in buying hosting services from me, that will definitely help, too.

I am considering removing the option of opting into ads for non-donors, although this is something I'd prefer not to do (those of you who hate ads will likely use an ad blocker anyway - I'm not going to go into that debate now).

The thing is, we're going to need more money to be able to get and keep this dedicated server. What will help the most is if you can make a recurring donation every month, because a single donation isn't going to help much when it is spent and the next server bill comes in.

• Brohoof 18

(edited)

Hm....will non-donors be able to change our titles..? ;)

Kidding, hope we can really get all we can get out of this opportunity. :)

Edited by NASCARFAN160

Starting Next Month, I will be starting a recurring Donation of 12 Dollars each month.

I hope it helps.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

When a forum gets this large, I think finding more creative ways to earn money other than the obvious routes (donations and advertising) is ideal. You simply can't try and satisfy everybody in a community of hundreds of people. I don't seem to see that here. However, I'm not here to nitpick. I'll try to donate when I can. ;)

Edited by tvguy347
  • Brohoof 1

-_- Really wish I could donate, as I'd like a custom title as well as the chance to support, but don't have a PayPal and there's no other way so xD;

Starting Next Month, I will be starting a recurring Donation of 12 Dollars each month.

I hope it helps.

Thanks! Recurring donations are most beneficial. :)

When a forum gets this large, I think finding more creative ways to earn money other than the obvious routes (donations and advertising) is ideal; I don't seem to see that here. However, I'm not here to nitpick. I'll try to donate when I can. ;)

We are actively looking into other ways to monetize the site besides donations, but don't have anything to announce at this time. Opt-in advertising is something that we do which is slightly different than the norm (most places, you have to donate to remove the ads). I am all ears if you have any ideas yourself. :)

-_- Really wish I could donate, as I'd like a custom title as well as the chance to support, but don't have a PayPal and there's no other way so xD;

If you have access to a credit card, you can donate without opening a PayPal account.

paypal.png

• Brohoof 1

Thanks! Recurring donations are most beneficial. :)

We are actively looking into other ways to monetize the site besides donations, but don't have anything to announce at this time. Opt-in advertising is something that we do which is slightly different than the norm (most places, you have to donate to remove the ads). I am all ears if you have any ideas yourself. :)

If you have access to a credit card, you can donate without opening a PayPal account.

Not at the moment, no. I guess I'll see what I can do. Anyway, server crap has been in my face on numerous forums I go on, so this is nothing new. Hope donations aren't a problem. They shouldn't be~

Hang on, the donation status bar on the home page has turned from yellow to green. :blink: Is that a good sign, or a coincidence, or what?!

Hang on, the donation status bar on the home page has turned from yellow to green. :blink: Is that a good sign, or a coincidence, or what?!

It just turns green when it reaches 75%. It doesn't really mean anything - it's purely cosmetic.

I'll need to readjust that donation goal anyway. I may choose to use month-to-month goals instead of a massive annual one.

• Brohoof 2

I hate ads and see them as the most useless thing since paper-mache fire doors.

And I still opted to have them.

(Yes, the AdBlock is turned off.)

So, do the same or I have the right to call you a bad person.

#Challenge

If this was a big site, I'd block everything. Fairs fair, right? Meaningless ad revenue for you and meaningless spam for me.

#shutupandtakemymeaninglesscents

(edited)
I doubt it would help that much, but I can start a monthly donation of a few bucks linked from my own AdSense. Edited by Ezynell

Let's get us some EqD publicity.

In my state, I'm just a few whiles short of a credit card; sadly I cannot donate (or order anything off amazon...) But I'd hope to think that any pony-community; no matter who it's run by, what it's about, or when it started; would hate to see another die. This is my last hope for humanity, and yes, it is ponies.

I'm running the opt-in ads, and click the ones I have an interest in. I shamelessly promote these forums on random communities I'm on, pony or not. I may not be contributing much, but it's all I can do for now. :(

It just turns green when it reaches 75%. It doesn't really mean anything - it's purely cosmetic.

I'll need to readjust that donation goal anyway. I may choose to use month-to-month goals instead of a massive annual one.

Please do month to month :]

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Several things I've done in the past is going straight to the heart of whatever the site's focal point is. In this case, MLP:FiM is the fandom. Opening some sort of online store selling MLP-related merchandise, as well as MLP Forums branded paraphernalia may be expensive to start up, but would ultimately have a positive affect on the site. IP.Nexus is easy; the merchandise half is where expenses would be rather high.

Other possible solutions might be offering some sort of service. You have server space, correct? Why not incorporate that into the MLP Forums brand? Work it in as a feature to the site, where a user might be able to purchase a "room" of some sort where they may do what they please. The possibilities there are endless. They could upload past avatars, use it as a sort of editor. You could even open your own sort of panel, where users can create signatures, avatars, easily design graphics, etc. On other forums, I've run something called "Teams" which is a site-wide roleplay where users join teams and battle for control of specified forums. It's really fun and gives users a more intimate feel for the site, but also plays into monetization; the teams rely heavily on financial support, and buying some sort of currency gets them weapons, forum space, etc.

Whether it be some sort of forum-integrated approach, a store, a service, or something else, donations won't support us for long, and advertisements still don't seem worth it. Just my opinions.

Edited by tvguy347
  • Brohoof 1

Sorry Feld0 I can't donate right now, but I'm checking out my finances to see when I get a job I can take out a portion (maybe a little more so I would be able to donate more) from my paycheck so I could help keep these forums up. Life is dull without this forum, sorry to say. :3

Several things I've done in the past is going straight to the heart of whatever the site's focal point is. In this case, MLP:FiM is the fandom. Opening some sort of online store selling MLP-related merchandise, as well as MLP Forums branded paraphernalia may be expensive to start up, but would ultimately have a positive affect on the site.

Other possible solutions might be offering some sort of solution. You have server space, correct? Why not incorporate that into the MLP Forums brand? Work it in as a feature to the site, where a user might be able to purchase a "room" of some sort where they may do what they please. The possibilities there are endless. On other forums, I've run something called "Teams" which is a site-wide roleplay where users join teams and battle for control of specified forums. It's really fun and gives users a more intimate feel for the site, but also plays into monetization; the teams rely heavily on financial support, and buying some sort of currency gets them weapons, forum space, etc.

Whether it be some sort of forum-integrated approach, a store, a service, or something else, donations won't support us for long, and advertisements still don't seem worth it. Just my opinions.

Incidentally, I've been developing both of those ideas. Great minds think alike. :D

IPS have an add-on called IP.Nexus which is essentially the ultimate site monetization tool. It can do everything from managing an inventory of physical items, keeping track of shipments, and selling ad space to automating the sale of hosting accounts, a support ticket system, and a heck of a lot more. You can check out the full feature list here: http://www.invisionp...products/nexus/

Selling MLP Forums t-shirts has been suggested in the feedback forum before, and it could feasibly be done with the help of an artist or two. It would be really cool to create a marketplace for pony merchandise in general as well (although I'm not sure what legal formalities may be involved with that - I might need to seek a license from Hasbro, for all I know).

Hosting is something I already provide, albeit it's a rather low-key service with very few (but very satisfied) clients, two of whom are members of this forum. The idea of growing some kind of fully-fledged hosting operation out of MLP Forums is one I have been turning over for quite a while. With IP.Nexus, it could be integrated directly into the forums.

Let's get us some EqD publicity.

In my state, I'm just a few whiles short of a credit card; sadly I cannot donate (or order anything off amazon...) But I'd hope to think that any pony-community; no matter who it's run by, what it's about, or when it started; would hate to see another die. This is my last hope for humanity, and yes, it is ponies.

I'm running the opt-in ads, and click the ones I have an interest in. I shamelessly promote these forums on random communities I'm on, pony or not. I may not be contributing much, but it's all I can do for now. :(

Don't get the wrong idea - we're not "dying". Not even close to it. But this particular server move is a proactive measure we are taking now to make sure our hosting doesn't buckle under the stress it will no doubt receive in the coming months. Those of you who joined last year may remember how many times we crashed the past servers we had been on, and it wasn't fun for anyone. With this new dedicated server, resource issues will be a thing of the past.

I really appreciate what you're doing, Fghik, to actively contribute to the community and try to keep new members coming to it. Having ads on helps as well. You might not think that just your opting into ads makes much of a difference; but it's something else when hundreds of members do.

While you are not making a direct monetary donation to the site, you are very much supporting it in other ways that are not necessarily any less important. Thank you. :)

• Brohoof 1

Incidentally, I've been developing both of those ideas. Great minds think alike. :D

IPS have an add-on called IP.Nexus which is essentially the ultimate site monetization tool. It can do everything from managing an inventory of physical items, keeping track of shipments, and selling ad space to automating the sale of hosting accounts, a support ticket system, and a heck of a lot more. You can check out the full feature list here: http://www.invisionp...products/nexus/

Selling MLP Forums t-shirts has been suggested in the feedback forum before, and it could feasibly be done with the help of an artist or two. It would be really cool to create a marketplace for pony merchandise in general as well (although I'm not sure what legal formalities may be involved with that - I might need to seek a license from Hasbro, for all I know).

Hosting is something I already provide, albeit it's a rather low-key service with very few (but very satisfied) clients, two of whom are members of this forum. The idea of growing some kind of fully-fledged hosting operation out of MLP Forums is one I have been turning over for quite a while. With IP.Nexus, it could be integrated directly into the forums.

Realized IPS had that feature just after I posted. ^_^

Does the "Donors" rank have any sort of special privileges with it? Or is it more of a political type of thing?

Realized IPS had that feature just after I posted. ^_^

Does the "Donors" rank have any sort of special privileges with it? Or is it more of a political type of thing?

Get to change your custom member title, have more PM space, among some other things :3

Get to change your custom member title, have more PM space, among some other things :3

Are those the most enticing?

Here, straight from the page itself:

Do I get anything for donating?

Yes! Donors are promoted to the special Donors group, which offers them the following perks:

• • 150x200 avatars
  • • space for 500 private messages
  • • the ability to change your member title
  • • a golden username

Enable ads, I say.

Just try to stay classy, my friend.

Handling one website is enough, but juggling three -- holy cow!

On top of that it's not as if you have nothing to do other than worry about forum sites... Education is very important as well.

Do your best to keep monetary worries from seeping into your life!

If that means introducing ads to make some money for the site, so be it.

Ultimately, the decision lies with you ("you" meaning Feld0)

I'll support either decision, but I lean toward the ad-side more because it eliminates the stress of collecting "the dough".

(I cannot donate at the moment, as things are tight enough for meh family as it is.)

Here, straight from the page itself:

Do I get anything for donating?

Yes! Donors are promoted to the special Donors group, which offers them the following perks:

• • 150x200 avatars
  • • space for 500 private messages
  • • the ability to change your member title
  • • a golden username
Also you get double the amount of username changes. 3 every 15 days instead of 30. I only realised it when Feld0 said it himself in a topic. I don't know why this isn't mentioned in the list though as this would be a big instinctive for a lot of people.

I'm trying to think of anything else that could be added as a bonus for donators but I haven't come up with anything yet.

I'm quite lucky because I can afford to donate from time to time, it just depends on if I end up spending the money on games or not :P

Also you get double the amount of username changes. 3 every 15 days instead of 30. I only realised it when Feld0 said it himself in a topic. I don't know why this isn't mentioned in the list though as this would be a big instinctive for a lot of people.

I'm trying to think of anything else that could be added as a bonus for donators but I haven't come up with anything yet.

I'm quite lucky because I can afford to donate from time to time, it just depends on if I end up spending the money on games or not :P

Probably isn't in there because the list probably hasn't been updated for a while :P Maybe a staff will do so soon. And yeah, again, I want to donate (wantcustommembertitle) but I need to get access to a credit card first .3.

Are those the most enticing?

To be frank, all members already get a plethora of abilities and features that would be considered "premium" material on many other sites. Space for 250 PM's, unlimited attachment uploads (with a very generous per-file size limit), the option to have an ad-free experience, free access to every part of the site (I understand that some people simply aren't able to donate, and I don't believe in restricting any content from them because it), and three name changes per month (honestly, this is an extremely generous limit).

When we rule out donor-exclusive content, "premium" site features are something I also want to make available to everyone, so I'm honestly not sure what else I could add to the donor incentives to make it more enticing to give money for the site. Then again, people should be donating to maintain the site, not to get personal account upgrades, anyway.

Probably isn't in there because the list probably hasn't been updated for a while :P Maybe a staff will do so soon. And yeah, again, I want to donate (wantcustommembertitle) but I need to get access to a credit card first .3.

I'll get that list updated. :)

I've scheduled the upgrade for 2:00 AM PST. There may be downtime for up to 30 minutes sometime around then.

• Brohoof 2