Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Forums T-Shirts

LunaShy

Hey Feld0 have you ever thought about getting some T-shirts or other products printed up for the forums? I think it would be a great way to raise more money for you and i know for that i for one would buy a good amount of merch on my paychecks : )

• Brohoof 2

They'd have to be over priced to make a decent amount of profit.

if they go through a decent company they could easily make shirts for 25 plus shipping and make prob a 10 to 15 profit on each shirt. If they sold 200 shirts they would have a profit of around $2000 i know this sounds like a lot of money but Feld0 does a good job running this site and i dont believe he is making any profit at this time

Not really. Sell a lot for a small price = profit as well. x)

There would need to be a lot of interest, also remember that because of overseas shipping costing a small fortune, only North America would really see the benefit of the sale, maybe.

Not really. Sell a lot for a small price = profit as well. x)

sure but do you think feld0 wants to package and ship shirts all day? He already has to manage all of the forums...

sure but do you think feld0 wants to package and ship shirts all day? He already has to manage all of the forums...

Lol. I know that. All I was saying was that it doesn't need to be overpriced to make profit... -.-

It wouldn't be worth it if done via a custom shirt printing site like Redbubble or Spreadshirt because you need to mark up the price a ton before you get any decent size profit.

Then it also probably won't be worth it if Feld0 or any other mod seeks out a local printing company, get shirts made, then have to ship them out to forum members, considering there's a bunch who live internationally from the shirt provider.

Nice idea, but not really practical at this stage I think.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 2

This would technically be feld0 making profit off of something he didn't create. The products would likely be MLP related of course, so when its like that he's technically making money off the MLP franchise and the people who created it would get nothing. This could cause major legal problems and that is NOT something we need. Although the idea may sound good it simply would not work unless FULL permission was given from the creators of My Little Pony to do it.

• Brohoof 2

RainbroDash, I appreciate that you're looking out for me and suggesting a way for me to get something for myself out of this site. :) While I do run MLP Forums as a volunteer, I am going to need to pay for college somehow.

This would technically be feld0 making profit off of something he didn't create. The products would likely be MLP related of course, so when its like that he's technically making money off the MLP franchise and the people who created it would get nothing. This could cause major legal problems and that is NOT something we need. Although the idea may sound good it simply would not work unless FULL permission was given from the creators of My Little Pony to do it.

Say that to all the bronies who sell music, custom toys, plushies, and t-shirts already. There are some bronies who earn thousands of dollars from this fandom, and it is generally highly encouraged to buy products from them from what I've seen around the ponynet (perhaps rightly so, because some of the fan-made merch is incredible).

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a store of some kind to MLP Forums. I have actually had the idea on my mind for a while, and selling custom pony merch made by our members is something else that could possibly be done with it (though I don't know how many members we have here who do that).

There is an IPS application called IP.Nexus that would allow us to have an online store right here on the site, fully integrated with your forum account and everything. It would probably make the most sense to get the shirts printed in Vancouver and ship them out myself; I wouldn't mind doing that.

I ordered a shirt and I put mlpforums.com on the back. LIFE HACK!

Do I get a royalty for this? B)

• Brohoof 9

Personally i just don't know if it would be entirely legal. But if everyone else making money off of it isn't getting permission from hasbro first then i guess they don't really care? They probably have made enough money off of everything else that they don't even bother.

PFFFT feld0 gets royalty! But feld0, don't forget some of that royalty goes to the staff because they do the work of keeping it clean! :3

Do I get a royalty for this? B)

Me: Hmmm, hey Peter look a new member!

Feld0: Where?

Me: *Runs with shirt*

I don't know, just pictured this in mind for some reason xD

• Brohoof 1

I think this is a fun idea, but not something for a free website O;

I mean... you'd have to either know accounting or hire an accounting in order to figure out the costs because when you make and sell a product, you might just need a business license! And you would need to think about taxes, as well.

If it was for donations, like making T-shirts just to keep the site running, it'd be easier than making a profit

There is an IPS application called IP.Nexus that would allow us to have an online store right here on the site, fully integrated with your forum account and everything. It would probably make the most sense to get the shirts printed in Vancouver and ship them out myself; I wouldn't mind doing that.

Awesome!

• 6 months later...

This idea sounds awesome...

And about the legal problems :

I think that copyright problems could be easily avoided by not

using original show characters, but using some custom mlpforums characters

instead (e.g. : The Feldicorn. I do not say that Feldicorn should be used

for shirts (although it would look bad-ass imo), but as far as I know, if the

artists who made it allowed Feld0 to use and sell the picture... I can see no

legal problems there.). I think that it would kill two birds with one nuke -

you avoid legal problems, and also get absolutely original T-shirts.

Also, imagine MLPforums community attending to BroNYcon / any other

big convention in uniform like this :D

Edited by Nouth
  • Brohoof 2

I think that copyright problems could be easily avoided by not

using original show characters, but using some custom mlpforums characters

instead

Even though I wouldn't wear it around my parts, I would give my soul to see someone wearing a shirt that says "XFizzle is My Doctor" on the front. Then "Trixie is a pony whore" hidden on the collar or something.

Pretty cool, but it might cost a lot of money/time for Feld0 and the rest of the admin to print and create all those shirts. However, this would be good for conventions, as Nouth had stated.

Fun thought, though.......Now your making me want to buy one!! :P An MLP forums shirt would be cool, but I'm not sure if admin can make enough, or even sell enough. I think that maybe if we do have shirts, their only for members who have achieved something (Example: Go to at least on Bronycon) but that would be a bit unfair. Who knows? Maybe we can have shirts. But it's up to admin. ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Okay, being a bit of necromancer here, but I would like to ask if there are any

news and if Feld0 has decided whatever to bring this to existence or not ?

Oh, definitely shirts! I can imagine them with contests for shirt design. Winner gets a free shirt, and their shirt design a reality! (Profit still going to MLP Forums.)

@,

Hehe I wonder what Feld0 would say if I put up a t-shirt to buy in RedBubble with "MLP Forums" on it.

If there never will be an official t-shirt.. I'd make one for people to buy :P