*new* Nintendo 2DS XL (no joke)

K.Rool Addict

Nintendo just released a trailer for a new iteration of the 3DS line of handhelds. I have no fucking idea why, but this trailer got me hyped af, despite my recent distaste for Nintendo's business practices (including the extremely underwhelming Switch hardware)

^This thing just looks cool af. I never thought I'd ever get a 3DS again, but this thing is very enticing for some reason. It almost reminds me of the GBA Micro in a way. It's the type of thing I'd never expect Nintendo to pull after the huge financial success of the Switch. Just really out of left field and awesome. And ofc, I love the desgin too <3

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 3

I think if my original 3DS ever needs replacing I'll pick this one up, since I never use the 3d feature anyway. I'm glad they fixed that godawful feature of the original 2DS where you couldn't fold it.

They should have released this as the original 2DS from the start 

I'm sorry but you just don't get rid of the clampshell design 

• Brohoof 2

30 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

They should have released this as the original 2DS from the start 

I'm sorry but you just don't get rid of the clampshell design 

I'm in total agreement with this.  I can't use the 3DS for health reasons (yay seizures) and I absolutely despised the size of the original 2DS.  It was pretty unwieldy for me as an adult, so I can only imagine little kids trying to use it.  Also, it was almost impossible to find non-Nintendo accessories for it like covers and cases.  Even then, Nintendo seemed so focused on clampshell design that it just didn't put much out for the 2DS.

(edited)

Idk how I feel about the speakers not being located on the upper screen portion :/

It looks kinda, weird without them (looks like a straight up iPhone lol). I hope the audio quality does not suffer due to this (still find it crazy that the original model 3DS supposedly still possesses the best quality speakers of the bunch.)

Edit:

Holy crap, possibly the coolest limited edition design yet!

tlnt8kndydrlzo2imnle.jpg

snjqzdx0zrxvtlhmz7it.jpg

z2gvjbjnzs6ry4yse060.jpg

ju8usz3w5mfvbvve0yzc.jpg

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 1

AKA What the 2DS should have been to begin with. I do really like the design for this and for the right price it could be a massive hit, plus I am glad Nintendo is still thinking of the handheld. I just wish the 2DS would have STARTED with this.

Wow, back with that design choice eh? From my experience, the clampshell design makes it absurdly easy to break (I went through 4 DS Lites... I wasn't even being that rough on them, at all...) Good thing this weren't the 2DS design to start with, or else I would completely ignore 3DS games altogether...

Edited by Nerdy Luigi

7 hours ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Wow, back with that design choice eh? From my experience, the clampshell design makes it absurdly easy to break (I went through 4 DS Lites... I wasn't even being that rough on them, at all...) Good thing this weren't the 2DS design to start with, or else I would completely ignore 3DS games altogether...

Wow really? I have never broken a handheld of mine even once. I had a DS fat, a DS lite, a original model 3DS, and a 2DS (when it comes to the DS-3DS lines). While there were certain aspects I did like about the 2DS (namely the insanely low price and the "softer" facebuttons) I didn't like the slate design at all. It just looked plain ugly and cheap to me :P 

Admittedly, I do find the clamshell design to be significantly more conducive to hand cramps after about an hour of gameplay :/ The slate was just more ergonomic, especially with those crazy big triggers (wish they weren't so loud tho lol).

On 4/28/2017 at 1:27 PM, A.V. said:

*Never uses the 3D on his normal 3DS anyway.*

Maybe I should consider this one?

I don't see why. It's not like the original 3DS forces you to play in 3D. I've never played in 3D myself. Don't let Nintendo get your money with these pointless rehashes. The original 3DS works just fine.

1 minute ago, Envy said:

I don't see why. It's not like the original 3DS forces you to play in 3D. I've never played in 3D myself. Don't let Nintendo get your money with these pointless rehashes. The original 3DS works just fine.

True, but I also like the bigger screens on the newer models.

Edited by A.V.

Just now, A.V. said:

True, but I also like the bigger screens on the newer models.

It most likely just makes the games look worse. lol.

2 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Then again, doesn't even matter anyway -- I'm most likely going to get either an Xbox One or a Switch down the road.

Yes, get a system that can actually bring you new games and new experiences.

Although I'd wait on the Switch because currently it can't really do that. BoTW and Mario Kart 8 are and will always be Wii U games.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, Nerdy Luigi said:

I've only ever had it ever happen to me with the DS Lite, as well as only heard it happen with the Lite.

Hasn't happened with the 3DS nor have I heard extensive complaints about it.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, Nerdy Luigi said:

What...what do you even do with your systems if you can break four of them? I've never even broken one. This is a $2-300 piece of hardware, not a cheap toy. You can't just throw it around.

11 hours ago, Discordian said:

What...what do you even do with your systems if you can break four of them? I've never even broken one. This is a $2-300 piece of hardware, not a cheap toy. You can't just throw it around.

I didn't XD That's why I called them flimsy... I literally did nothing to break most of them (my Dad broke one of them by slamming it into a tree, but that's his problem. He had a freaking conniption for a reason I still don't understand 10 years later... He said I was having an attitude with him, when I really wasn't. In fact he was the one having an attitude...), but just playing on them... -_- Wasn't even overly tough on them either... May have dropped it a couple of times, and was probably slightly too rough on the touch screen. Though nothing that should have caused them all to break within 2 or 3 years. I got blamed for them breaking, but I really didn't treat them too badly at all...

This and I never had a problem with any other console. I had a Game Boy Color that worked fine for 10 years, and I probably have a Gameboy Advanced somewhere that works perfectly fine as of now, with no issues... Didn't do anything different with them, not even a little bit more careful. They were just designed better, without the freaking clampshell design that to me seems like it basically breaks itself. (Yet again, might be just the Lite from what I see on the post above yours. I only had Lites.).

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

why nintendo didnt do this in the first fecking place of releasing the 2ds, we'll never know. But I'd be happy to switch to this if my 3DS gives out. 

The main reason for the fact that it didn't fold was so kids could enjoy it without the parents worrying about it getting broken so easily. Young kids who aren't going to necessarily put it down before walking around to do something, or they'll put it on the floor and it'll get stepped on easily.

Unless you mean a system without the 3D option because most of us don't even use the 3D. <__< >__>

10 minutes ago, Discordian said:

The main reason for the fact that it didn't fold was so kids could enjoy it without the parents worrying about it getting broken so easily. Young kids who aren't going to necessarily put it down before walking around to do something, or they'll put it on the floor and it'll get stepped on easily.

Unless you mean a system without the 3D option because most of us don't even use the 3D. <__< >__>

i was on about the stupid deisgn of the 2DS. the reason I love the DS series is because it folds and fits in pockets! i was so angry when 2ds came out - as i cant stand 3D anyway and was in the market for a new DS at the time - i wanted what this brand new 2DS finally is! 2 years too late nintendo >.> again