Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fabric Lovers Unite!

PlzDelete

I am a fabric addict. I have collected over 20 fabrics so far. My room is a fabric store almost. XD I have pieces ranging from faux furs to fleece to minky-ish stuff! What about you? Do you sew? What is your favorite color/pattern of fabric? Tell us about your fabric love!!! 

20170625_124730.thumb.jpg.7b9fd1d5784628b41ef7ec47d37282c4.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I would love to sew again~!  Sadly, I can never get my machine back and I would have to save up for a new one.  I like looking for fabric at the thrift shop since the fabric shops around me are expensive.  I would love to learn how to design my own patterns one day.  Though to be honest, I'm not very good with remembering which fabric is which.:blush:

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Thuja said:

I would love to sew again~!  Sadly, I can never get my machine back and I would have to save up for a new one.  I like looking for fabric at the thrift shop since the fabric shops around me are expensive.  I would love to learn how to design my own patterns one day.  Though to be honest, I'm not very good with remembering which fabric is which.:blush:

Sewing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Sewing machines are stupidly expensive most of the time so saving up is the best choice. Remembering different fabrics is hard for me too. 

• Brohoof 1

I really dislike sewing as a rule, but just the same I often find myself doing just that. I make custom plushies for my niece and one of my favorite fabrics to work with is Minky/microplush. It's so versatile and doesn't fray when it's cut. It also stretches nicely but in only one direction. I sometimes work with long faux fur but getting it with a long enough pile is getting tricky these days. The best I've found is about four inches, and getting it in the right color makes it trickier still. Luckily I came across a site online that showed me how to dye faux fur using Sharpie markers and it really worked great. There's an amazing variety of fabrics out there now; much better than the simple felt sheets I used when I was little (and I still think they're great in their own way!) :grin:

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I really dislike sewing as a rule, but just the same I often find myself doing just that. I make custom plushies for my niece and one of my favorite fabrics to work with is Minky/microplush. It's so versatile and doesn't fray when it's cut. It also stretches nicely but in only one direction. I sometimes work with long faux fur but getting it with a long enough pile is getting tricky these days. The best I've found is about four inches, and getting it in the right color makes it trickier still. Luckily I came across a site online that showed me how to dye faux fur using Sharpie markers and it really worked great. There's an amazing variety of fabrics out there now; much better than the simple felt sheets I used when I was little (and I still think they're great in their own way!) :grin:

I dislike it too yet do it as well. :D I'm working on my first mlp plush! I like Minky too (its a bit pricey for me though). I absolutely ADORE faux furs! I have over 15 colors of it in my sewing room. The prices for good faux fabrics is rising sadly. I've never knew you could dye fur! I might try it after more research!!! My first sewing project was a tail... it turned out.. ugly... BUT from that one on I improved a whole lot! :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, PuddingPonyPal said:

I've never knew you could dye fur! I might try it after more research!!! :pinkie:

http://fursuit.livejournal.com/2826105.html

Here's a link for dying with Sharpies. The pictures weren't loading when I last checked but the info is all there and it really helps. I tried a lot of different methods before I stumbled across this info and it really made a difference.

Good luck with your MLP plushy! Doing is learning! ;) 

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

http://fursuit.livejournal.com/2826105.html

Here's a link for dying with Sharpies. The pictures weren't loading when I last checked but the info is all there and it really helps. I tried a lot of different methods before I stumbled across this info and it really made a difference.

Good luck with your MLP plushy! Doing is learning! ;) 

Thank you so much! Ill put it on my "project bucket list". 

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually extremely clever with fabrics and I have a database in my head of the different fabrics I've come across. They are saved as an invisible number in my head and it's allowed me to identify different fabrics. Personally my favourite ones are the super fluffy and cuddly ones! :)

9 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

I'm actually extremely clever with fabrics and I have a database in my head of the different fabrics I've come across. They are saved as an invisible number in my head and it's allowed me to identify different fabrics. Personally my favourite ones are the super fluffy and cuddly ones! :)

OOOOooo a database in your head!? That sounds pretty cool! Cuddly fabric is the best in my opinion. 

Just now, PuddingPonyPal said:

OOOOooo a database in your head!? That sounds pretty cool! Cuddly fabric is the best in my opinion. 

It's like a very specific type of fabric might be memorised in my head as FABRIC-TYPE:8316773. It would be probably something like that if I could see the numbers in my system but because it's extremely compressed I can't actually see the numbers of the files. :) 

• Brohoof 1