Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the movie win awards?

CastletonSnob

12 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

I wouldn't hold out much hope of it getting award recognition, even if it turns out to be good enough.  The MLP movie is not in the same league as the Frozens, Kung-Fu Pandas and Shreks of the world.  This is not a mass market film, it's a film aimed not at the wider cinema-going audience, but specifically at existing fans of the franchise, the young girls (and boys) that like the cartoon and the toys, the parents that have to take them to see it, and of course us older fans as well.  Success for the MLP film will not be measured on the same scale as that of a major Disney or Dreamworks film, it's not going to break any box office records, it won't even come close.  If it makes even a quarter of what a contemporary offering from one of the big animation studios pulls in that would still be a massive success.

I'm not trying to do the film down, from the trailer I've seen it looks great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.  However, when it comes to receipts and awards I think a certain moderation of expectation is called for.  I would hope that it would at least attract a few nominations, but I doubt we'll see any any Oscars, Golden Globes or BAFTAs on display in the Canterlot Palace.

The film could still fall victim to the list of animated box office bombs due to a very low advertising budget with no TV spots found anywhere.

Geez, calm down. Even if I thought it looked good, I don't think you can reasonably predict a movie's likelihood to receive awards before anyone has actually seen it. Save these questions for after the world premiere. 

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't know, considering its size of 90 minutes I have my doubts. However It might get the best animated movie award for good visuals.

Edited by Rabit2017

• 2 years later...
On 8/2/2017 at 1:42 AM, VG_Addict said:

Do you think the movie has a chance at winning any awards? Like maybe Best Animated Feature?

Music (original songs) maybe. I don't think anything else was that impressive to win. But maybe the competition at that time was low?