Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Huge plot holes and disappointment?

iloveeverything

I just saw the movie and it was okey. Though it feels kind of rushed with songs barely or not really doing anything for the plot. And also where is Discord? I assume they excluded him because he could just make the entire movie plot irrelevant by defeating the villian instantly but that's just lazy just removing him aswell as starlight Glimmer and my favorite, the Cutie Mark crusaders. I thought with more popularity they would add more depth to things and not less, with only twilight showing having some sort of character development. And there were no friendship lessons or anything to draw emotion as there was not enough focus on character development to get people emotionally envolved. The despute in the mane 6 should have had more focus, with a proper lesson and wrapup aswell.

I can't say i enjoyed the movie more than any episode and only the Sia song moved me. They should have made the Tirek battle episodes the movie, as it was 100 times better and would have recieved better reception.

Anyone else feels this way? Or am i wrong?

I think you’re VERY wrong on the “friendship lesson” thing. It’s a big theatrical release with a big adventure focus. They’re not going to have everyone gather around at the end and focus on Twilight going “and today I learned...” That would have been extremely stupid, and your average moviegoers would have found it gag worthy.

There was a lesson: Don’t loose your faith in the goodness of the world and people in it. Twilight lost sight of that, afraid that others would just betray or let her down, and that she had to be underhanded to save Equestria.

But you don’t want to beat the audience over the head with that. People in general can pick up on things like that.

And I’m totally fine with Discord not being there. He canonically runs off for weeks at a time to do his own thing and then pops in when he gets bored. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if like a week after the events of the movie, he pops into Fluttershy’s house for tea, and she offhandedly tells him about what happened, and he’s like, “HOLY CRAP AND I FRICKIN MISSED IT??”

Also we have a very large cast of characters by movie standards. You really CAN’T put focus on every single one of the Mane Six and Spike, AND introduce all the new characters, AND all the new locations, AND resolve the conflict in the span of an hour and 40 minutes. And then you want them to also try and focus on side characters like the CMC and Starlight? It just ain’t going to happen. You’ve got to decide the key plot to want to tell and then keep it from getting cluttered.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

No, I don't think you're entirely wrong. I thought the story was very contrived and artificial, and forced the characters into quite disingenuous acts. The most obvious example of the sloppy storytelling was using the sonic rainboom as a show off event that gets them all in trouble. Definitely targeted for an exclusively young audience.

I agree with @ShadOBabe that movie plots need to be heavily focus on a small group of characters, preferably 2 mains, and 2-4 supports.  

• Brohoof 1

It was a fun spectacle while watching, but afterwards I couldn't help thinking it was like a Superman movie where Superman just kind of...forgets...he can fly. The plot required Twilight not to be as competent, powerful, and emotionally intelligent as she is in show continuity - because otherwise she'd have the confidence to remember how to solve everything without lies or panic - so she arbitrarily just wasn't. 

• Brohoof 1

This movie cant decide whether they want to appeal the new audiences or the old fans of the show, because they failed both of them. Many things in this movie are just overwhelming the new audiences because they cant just stuff every established world-building of 7 seasons into 20 minute introductions (who is Celestia? why she can control the sun? Who is Luna? Who is Cadance? Equestria?), some prefereces that the only old fan can understand. They have to make main characters look like their early season counter-part for newer audiences and disappointed the old fan who have watched 6+ seasons and tell them this movie is sequel to S7 (the script was written during S5, so the inconsistents are expected). The mane 6 can just find the element of Harmony or the Pillar (again they pretend S7 finale didnt exists) to blast villain away and they are EASIER TO FIND THAN THE RANDOM MACGUFFIN OUTSIDE EQUESTRIA, jesus, they didnt even introduce elements of Harmony, how can they introduce to the new audience the element of harmony in the 2nd movie, and dont tell me they are gonna watch the show after this, Another sin of this movie is that new audiences need comics to understand the new characters or else they are just flat characters, which they werent, the comics fleshed out their character really great. The new audiences dont know about the show and wont read the comics, why you introduce the new franchise to them this way??? Come on, just pick one, mass new audiences or dedicated fans of the show, pick one, make the movie a standalone movie for anyone can get it or just a TRUE SEQUEL TO SEASON 7 for only-fan of the show, pick one.