Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

We should give kudos to Tara Strong for bringing back Twilight's adorkable nature when they enter the restricted section of the library.

• Brohoof 5

2 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Forgotten Friendship only did 78k

Yeah at this point I think anyone who used DF in the past are just giving up on it now.

They are watching it through online streams and the other usual places.

7 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

They are watching it through online streams and the other usual places.

Yes but that is still a significant decrease over the season 7 premiere of even a few s7 episodes.

Would also love to know what sites people use now, kimcartoon and dailymotion don't have much views, and it isn't on kisscartoon for whatever reason 

Edited by Ryanmahaffe

5 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Yes but that is still a significant decrease over the season 7 premiere of even a few s7 episodes.

Would also love to know what sites people use now, kimcartoon and dailymotion don't have much views, and it isn't on kisscartoon for whatever reason 

It sounds like Discovery Family isn't too keen on MLP these days though it shouldn't come as a surprise considering their track record. Unfortunately, for your second question, I'm not obligated to say on account that doing so would go against the rules of the forums. All I can say is that you might want to consider looking it up and finding out the truth for yourself though it won't be easy.

18 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It sounds like Discovery Family isn't too keen on MLP these days though it shouldn't come as a surprise considering their track record. Unfortunately, for your second question, I'm not obligated to say on account that doing so would go against the rules of the forums. All I can say is that you might want to consider looking it up and finding out the truth for yourself though it won't be easy.

Remember, the record only keeps track of TV ratings. In an editorial on Equestria Daily, Hasbro is fully aware on the situation as they knew viewers watch cartoons on live streams. Big Jim did say the low TV ratings are nothing to worry about as the shows' biggest strength are the toy sales. Despite this, Forgotten Friendship was still a great special to watch.

• Brohoof 1

27 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting an answer on that, was just me stating my curiosity. 
DF takes MLP seriously, it gets the most attention out of all their content. I think the reason why ratings have dropped so rapidly was
1.) Leaks made even more people just use streaming websites
2.) Discovery Family doesn't have any good currently running content other than MLP, where as the Hub had Transformers Prime, LPS, Pound Puppies, Dan vs, and Strawberry Shortcake, these weren't all good or even decent, but they were at least watchable while DF just airs reruns of most of these.
3.) Lack of promotion during seasons 5, and 6, less people wanted to tune into DF because sites like EQD would give better alternative leaks.
4.) Being on like, the most expensive cable plan, this was always an issue, but like I said, lack of any other quality content makes it not worth the asking price at all.
5.) Lack of external advertisement, DF only advertises new episodes on their Channel, or their Social media platforms, CN can have ads all over the place.

In short, Discovery Family sucks and are the prime reason for low ratings.

But back to topic, I like how we both have selfie pics of the special, it was truly...special!

Just now, Photon Jet said:

Remember, the record only keeps track of TV ratings. In an editorial on Equestria Daily, Hasbro is fully aware on the situation as they knew viewers watch cartoons on live streams. Big Jim did say the low TV ratings are nothing to worry about as the shows' biggest strength are the toy sales. Despite this, Forgotten Friendship was still a great special to watch.

Yes yes ratings aren't important, but I do like keeping track of them.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Yes yes ratings aren't important, but I do like keeping track of them.

All Hasbro cares about are the toy sales given their business. As for Discovery Family... Perhaps it's time for MLP to move to another network though it might be too late given how far it has come since the start and has been synonymous with the channel for the last several years.

11 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

Again, toy sales are what Hasbro care about the most.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

All Hasbro cares about are the toy sales given their business. As for Discovery Family... Perhaps it's time for MLP to move to another network though it might be too late given how far it has come since the start and has been synonymous with the channel for the last several years.

Again, toy sales are what Hasbro care about the most.

Hasbro is probably contractually obligated to keep G4 on Discovery Family anyway.

Silver Quill's review. Always nice to get multiple viewpoints. :)

• Brohoof 2

As I recall when I first saw Equestria Girls on DF and then bought to blue ray some time later I realized that they had cut some of EQ and then some of RainBow Rocks.  I expect they've cut some of this special too.  Once people figure that out the move to streaming service of sometime is bound to happen.  I don't watch Dr. Who on BBC America because they stuff the show so full of commercials I find it too tiresome.

6 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Hasbro is probably contractually obligated to keep G4 on Discovery Family anyway.

Though they do have the right to sever said contract if they feel it necessary

4 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

Silver Quill's review. Always nice to get multiple viewpoints. :)

Someday, he will do that Friendship Games review.

14 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Though they do have the right to sever said contract if they feel it necessary

Someday, he will do that Friendship Games review.

Well, I am sure they could, but it would likely be a process they don't feel necessary, though I do wish Hasbro would have their own basic cable network with Hanazuki, MLP, a new Transformers series, LPS, and other original cartoons. Hasbro only cares about toys so they probably don't see a point in moving MLP to a new network because it would take time. Which MLP might not have much left anyway.

Overall, I think this special is great.  I like its themes, and I was invested in the story throughout.  Having a significant portion take place back in Equestria with Sunset reconciling with Celestia blew my mind even more than that time she met Starlight.  I actually hadn't considered that the reason why Wallflower was forgotten is because she meddled with people's memories of her, but after considering that I find that interesting too.  Oh, and clearly the greatest ponies in Equestrian history aren't as bright when it comes to deciding how to dispose of magic artifacts or deal with threats.  Using the human world as Equestria's dumping ground is a terrible idea yet it has happened more than once.  Overall, great special.

I already posted this in another thread, but this seems to be the main thread for this discussion, so here: 

"It may sound strange, but I actually think I prefer the book, though only slightly.  I think Celestia's method for securing the restricted section in the book is much more secure, and there are quite a few instances where minor dialogue differences and Sunset's inner monologues in the book add a little bit to their respective scenes.  Still, I do like that we got two more songs out of this special, and it just shows how faithful an adaptation the book really is (since I'm assuming the special was planned first even though it ended up releasing later).  Plus, I'm glad the book doesn't try to include the songs this time and/or try to change up lyrics when simple dialogue and monologues work better in a book, unless songs are actually meant to be songs, such as when the Rainbooms perform.

Maybe my opinion has been slightly affected by the order in which I checked out both versions of the story.  I've always watched the films/specials before reading the book as the books are obviously adaptations.  Earlier on I didn't even know there were novelizations but even if I had, I like to check out the original source material first.  I've even held off on reading the books the last couple times when they released slightly before their respective films/shorts for that reason.  I bought the book this time months ago but it got backlogged until a few days before the special aired.  I still decided to check it out first though as that's the order most fans have experienced the story up until now, plus it was a good chance to see things the other way (not that I don't get my fill of that with other franchises).

Overall, I'm glad I checked out both the book and the special, and the latter does have more appeal for those who would rather watch something than read and/or only think of animated specials as canon."

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Well, I am sure they could, but it would likely be a process they don't feel necessary, though I do wish Hasbro would have their own basic cable network with Hanazuki, MLP, a new Transformers series, LPS, and other original cartoons. Hasbro only cares about toys so they probably don't see a point in moving MLP to a new network because it would take time. Which MLP might not have much left anyway.

I'm surprised that Hasbro doesn't have their own network given how many brands they have.

Just now, Ganondorf8 said:

I'm surprised that Hasbro doesn't have their own network given how many brands they have.

I could see it doing very well if it wasn't on an expensive plan like DF, I would definitely support it.

47 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I could see it doing very well if it wasn't on an expensive plan like DF, I would definitely support it.

Make it available to the masses and they've got a real winner.

On another note, many background characters from both worlds could be seen.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of people say Celestia was just putting on a show to troll Sunset during them reuniting, and I don't agree with that, Celestia knows Sunset is different, but I think Celestia wanted to hear Sunset apologise herself, so Celestia could see that she has truly changed, instead of just hearing it.

44 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Discovery owns most of the channel, your picture proves nothing. He meant a network owned entirely by Hasbro for Hasbro brands.

I don't think such a channel would last. One of the reasons The Hub failed is that they had trouble getting advertisers due to being co-owned by a toy company. If anything, it would only be a bigger issue for a channel Hasbro owns entirely.

Edited by PinkiePie97

12 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I don't think such a channel would last. One of the reasons The Hub failed is that they had trouble getting advertisers due to being co-owned by a toy company. If anything, it would only be a bigger issue for a channel Hasbro owns entirely.

I suppose, but I can dream.

Edited by Ryanmahaffe

5 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

One thing I noticed is that a lot of people say Celestia was just putting on a show to troll Sunset during them reuniting, and I don't agree with that, Celestia knows Sunset is different, but I think Celestia wanted to hear Sunset apologise herself, so Celestia could see that she has truly changed, instead of just hearing it.

Never underestimate Celestia at any time. She may not look like it but deep down she is always thinking about best to deal with a situation that most could never hope to comprehend. I think she actually trolled when Sunset commented that Twilight had been a very good teacher. Their initial encounter after so long was genuine.

• Brohoof 1