Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

46 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

This seemed implied to me, and I think it should have been explored more fully. Wallflower Blush using the memory stone to erase small things like awkward greetings and the like, most likely caused her 'invisibility" problem. It felt like she got carried away a while ago, and not just when she specifically erased memories of Sunset.  It would explain nobody even remembering her name.

When someone acquires a great power, they tend to wind up losing complete control of themselves on account of becoming corrupted by it. They may have good intentions but all roads end up going to the same place resulting in their own destruction unless they can be saved.

I've also been thinking about Wallflower in terms of her actions. When you think about it, she should have sought revenge against the entire student body for being 'invisible' and not just Sunset on account of her being popular. I think she wanted to single out Sunset because of this one aspect. 

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

When someone acquires a great power, they tend to wind up losing complete control of themselves on account of becoming corrupted by it. They may have good intentions but all roads end up going to the same place resulting in their own destruction unless they can be saved.

I've also been thinking about Wallflower in terms of her actions. When you think about it, she should have sought revenge against the entire student body for being 'invisible' and not just Sunset on account of her being popular. I think she wanted to single out Sunset because of this one aspect. 

Except the one thing that set Sunset apart from the rest of the school is that she was a horrible person that everyone hated and feared. Then, next thing you know, she’s ‘changed’ and everyone loves her. But for Wallflower, nothing really changed about her, Sunset ignores her as much now as she used to. So she resents the idea that people love Sunset and give her all sorts of positive attention because she’s such a better person, when Wallflower doesn’t believe the change is real.

Wallflower is very similar to Luna and Starlight, all three bottled up their hate and resentment and projected it onto something else. For Luna, it was her sister, for Starlight, it was Cutie marks, and for Wallflower it was Sunset.

Edited by ShootingStar159

I watched it this morning and a few things stood out for me.  First was that they can still have some fun with their own mythos.  "I've been here halfway through the song." Wallflower's first appearence.  Sunset trying to steal the rock and interrupting the song and finally Pinkie interrupting Twilight at the end.

I didn't think of the beach scene as fan service.  When you look at what is regularly worn on beaches this stuff was very conservative.  It does remind me though of when Annette Funicello started to make the beach movies with Frankie Avalon and Walt Disney asked her only to wear a one piece and she never wore a bikini in those movies.

They still haven't put a new statue on the portal?  What's the hold up there?  

Sunset re-adusted to her original body more quickly this time, but I think Equestria really isn't her home anymore.  Everyone referred to the CHS world as 'her' world.  So what ever happens after graduation I don't think she's returning to Equestria.  I do wonder what she'll do, but I think she'd make a good teacher at CHS.

Go Trixie!  

One thought that belatedly occurs to me is that if they had called Sunset a "Blue Meanie" instead of a "Big Meanie" they then could have done a nice Yellow Submarine style song :)  Twilight in the Sky with Diamonds?  

Edited by Skytower

10 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

This seemed implied to me, and I think it should have been explored more fully. Wallflower Blush using the memory stone to erase small things like awkward greetings and the like, most likely caused her 'invisibility" problem. It felt like she got carried away a while ago, and not just when she specifically erased memories of Sunset.  It would explain nobody even remembering her name.

10 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

That was my thinking as well. In the end her feeling of invisibility is partially due to her own doing with the stone. Her attempt to fix the problem only made it worse for her in the end. 

To add on to both of you are saying, @Captain Clark and I discussed a really big problem in the blame game associated with this special last night. Nobody notices Wallflower, but she only goes after Sunset and scapegoats her for her extreme introversion. Secondly, while both Sunny and Trixie were locked inside the computer lab, the episode takes a very weird turn by making Sunset share some of the blame for Wallflower turning evil, as if the story semi-excuses Wallflower. (Using the phrase "carried away" gives that implication, when she was actually being crazy.)

What Wallflower went through is a very complex case. She's so ashamed of her introversion and fears everything she does will make people either turn her away or make fun of her. Erasing those memories via that stone gives her a clean slate. Unfortunately, that part of the conflict is way too simplified.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

I don't ship Sunlight, but those people are going to totally love this special, also I hope we get to see more of that library in the show, and not just to even further show how canon EQG is, but to see what great stuff is hidden in those walls.

31 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Alright, this was great. Some parts were a bit cringy, but that's totally okay overall. Especially Trixies character here, Sunset meating Celestia and Twilights freakout. :dash:

Sunset's apology to and reconciliation with Celestia is something the fandom have been wanting for a long time, so it is nice to see it finally arrive; was also nice to see her willing to stand on her own hooves than let Twilight sugar-coat their meeting, and her obvious concern for her EqG friends overriding any other concerns regarding the meeting and/or any consideration of her resettling ponyside.

Twi was *incredibly* adorkable; "DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM MEEEEE!" :)

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts during the first 5 minutes: "Oh, finally a relatable character in EG. Aaaaand she's a villan. I guess the reveal will surprise some of the 4-year-olds watching this".

It was rather unusual to have some Equestria world builing in Equestria Girls, but I'm glad that we saw more ponies during the hiatus. And I'm happy for all those people who were hoping to see Sunset and Celestia interacting. Although Luna shaming did not amuse me.

Other notable things: movie's self-awareness, Trixie's weird magic that worked specifically for the plot, and forgettable songs that, I'm sure, will have some good fan-made covers.

All in all, Forgotten Friendship was much better than the previous two movies, IMO.

I love how they poked fun at themselves with being self aware of the songs/interrupting them- though Wallflower's song actually sounded pretty good. I also loved Trixie in this too, I think its pretty neat that Sunset considers her to be an actual friend now. Also Trixie's magic scene with them switching to different sides of the locked door gave me a good chuckle too.

Obviously the best part of the movie/special was seeing the mane 6 in their swimsuits on the beach- I wouldn't mind seeing more of that :bedeyes:  

• Brohoof 2

Pretty good movie! And it shows a bit of life in between season 7 and 8 of the show! :D I really liked that the villain in this wasn’t someone who found some magical artifact AND ended up as some sort of monster. Overall, I enjoyed this movie. :pinkie: Or is it not classified as a movie? :P 

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Except the one thing that set Sunset apart from the rest of the school is that she was a horrible person that everyone hated and feared. Then, next thing you know, she’s ‘changed’ and everyone loves her. But for Wallflower, nothing really changed about her, Sunset ignores her as much now as she used to. So she resents the idea that people love Sunset and give her all sorts of positive attention because she’s such a better person, when Wallflower doesn’t believe the change is real.

Wallflower is very similar to Luna and Starlight, all three bottled up their hate and resentment and projected it onto something else. For Luna, it was her sister, for Starlight, it was Cutie marks, and for Wallflower it was Sunset.

When you put it that way, what you say does make sense. Had Wallflower or Sunset acknowledged the other in a meaningful way, this whole situation could've been avoided.

To add to all the talk of the extra six minutes.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/02/wallflowers-song-from-forgotten.html?m=1

While I doubt this song is going to be six minutes long, that's probably where some of the time is. Now it makes sense for Trixie's comment on her song being long and wanting to fast forward through it.

Edited by KH7672

I saw this special yesterday, and I was very impressed by it.

First thing on the list, we see the Mane Six in their new outfits seen in the stuff that's been posted online. Then we are introduced to a new student in Wallflower Blush, a student whom Sunset or the others should recognize from a previous grade. However, when Sunset brings up her past regarding when she was the school bully before turning over a new leaf thanks to Princess Twilight, things seem to be going good for her. She does not notice a strange event that night when strange magic swirls through the air before gathering in the woods behind the school.

However, the next day, when she arrives on the beach, none of the Rainbooms recognize her, with the Humane Five thinking she's still the school bully and Twilight only remembering when Sunset yelled at her at the Friendship Games.

Concerned, she decides to contact Princess Twilight, and returns to Equestria to speak to her in person. Unable to solve it herself, Twilight takes Sunset to Canterlot to meet with the Royal Sisters, despite Sunset's worry about how Celestia will react to seeing her again. Once Sunset pleads her case to Celestia and explains that she's changed for the better since they last saw each other, Celestia shows she's not angry with Sunset, just happy to see her again after so long, and the former student and teacher reunite at long last. Shortly thereafter, Celestia and Luna take Sunset and Twilight to the Canterlot Library to access the Restricted Section, knowing something there would help them. They soon find information from Clover the Clever regarding the Memory Stone, a device that can erase memories, with the only way to reverse it being to shatter the stone. Imbued with that knowledge, Sunset returns to the human world to try again with the Rainbooms to get them to remember her, then loses her temper with Trixie when she believes Trixie used it to get back at her for not putting her in the Yearbook. When Trixie sees Sunset is in trouble, she agrees to help her out. They soon find that they've checked all of the Wondercolts, who also have had any good memories of Sunset removed like the Rainbooms, save for Wallflower, who reveals how she came across the Memory Stone when working on the school garden on her own as the only member of the gardening club, and wanted revenge on Sunset for being ignored and invisible to everyone.

Sunset's attempts to grab the stone fail when Wallflower uses it to escape from her and Trixie, but thanks to following the tips of how Clover pursued the original sorceress who acquired it, she is able to remember it is Wallflower and chase her down, confronting her outside in front of the Rainbooms. Still incensed with Sunset, Wallflower prepares to erase the Rainbooms' entire memory of high school, which would destroy their friendship completely, but Sunset takes the hit meant for them, willing to sacrifice her own memories she has of them to protect them. Horrified and touched by Sunset's sacrifice, the Rainbooms come to her aid, calling her their friend, invoking the magic of their geodes, allowing them to pony up into new outfits, which I like compared to the Crystal Guardian ones from Legend of Everfree, and shatter the Memory Stone just in time, restoring all the memories Wallflower took with it.

After the Humane Seven reunite, Wallflower apologizes for her actions, too blinded by her bitterness to see what she was doing was wrong, and Sunset also apologizes for ignoring her, allowing Wallflower a fresh start with making friends with the Rainbooms, and encouraging the students to join Wallflower in the gardening club, earning her a spot in the Yearbook with signatures from her new friends.

Very great special, with my favorite part being Sunset and Celestia finally reuniting after so long. Definitely a 10/10 from me.

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

One thing I also liked was how they acknowledged the fact that they break out into song so often.

But does it matter? The songs from this special were fantastic. :pinkie:

Edited by Hierok

I'm still confused and terrified by the fact that there's a book called the "Canterlot Cannibals" in the restricted library. I was freaking out so much the first time I heard that.

The jokes about the songs in the special cracked me up, though.

So... It was cool, I guess.

I wasn't disappointed but as expected, it was an okay special. It has its moments from Sunset and Celestia reunion to Trixie's ego to the max, but it didn't really made itself to be spectacular.

The antagonist (who I forgot), was okay. She has believable intentions and fits the theme of the story, but I felt like they simplify her too much that she didn't really leave any impact on this special. And she didn't plan it through her scheme, making it hard to actually believe she really wanted Sunset to be out of the mane 6's life.

Overall, it was an okay special. Nothing to spectacular but it did made some moments shine. It's just that it felt too simplified and underwhelming at times.  

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I had almost lost any real desire in the series, but they made EqG content that kept my interest and entertained me. The visit to Equestria, Sunset and Trixie, and the sacrifice Sunset makes are highlights for me. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Wannabrony said:

I'm still confused and terrified by the fact that there's a book called the "Canterlot Cannibals" in the restricted library. I was freaking out so much the first time I heard that.

The jokes about the songs in the special cracked me up, though.

Looks like cute cannibal horses are canon. Suddenly all these fics with cannibal ponies are more creepy  :D

• Brohoof 2

Actually liked this one, the best scenes for me IMO would be the one were Sunset returns again to Equestria, and that Twilight mentions that the only pony who might help is Princess Celestia, I was like, Holy S***! And also Sunset finding out that Celestia has a sense of humor. Though, not a Trixie fan, I did enjoy the moments with her and Sunset. Also liked the scene were Sunset took a bullet for the Mane 6 as her memories of them were being wiped clean, and after that, Sunset becomes confused and scared. Those were the feels moments right there. :o