Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

(edited)

It was a good little series I thought even if the memory stone taking all memories of Sunset being nice should have left huge chunks of "Where did Sunset go during this period?". Still I think my favorite part has to be Twilght's reaction to finding out about a restricted section full of historical books she hasn't read "DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM MEEEEE!" or "I've always been good to you LIBRARY!" so adorable. Although so were human Twilight "Go Sports' and Spike's jelousy of the selfie taker. Nice to see a powerful ruler who is willing to forgive in Celestia too. Poor Rainbow though she'll never close that yearbook again.

I believe Sunset was reset to when she first came through the portal she doesn't remember any highschool memories and she took over the school before the first Equestria GIrls so this was a Sunset who didn't even remember stealing the element of magic hence why she was on all fours and calling out for Celestia as well as panicking over the monster she'd turned into. It's when she first stumbled through the mirror to the human world she probably even stil thought of Celestia as her teacher and mentor.

@ R.D.Dash

Also no it's not just you I heard Canterlot Canibals as well along with Twilight saying volume 31 is when it got good.

Edited by Senko

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

Really good.  Enjoyed it.  I love EG, and the best part of it for me is that I don't over-analyze it or think too hard (which I do constantly for FIM).  I just enjoy it for what it is.  My one and only gripe about EG is that I would really like it if they could get through one, just one, just ONE SINGLE movie/special without joining hands, rising up into the air, doing a wardrobe transformation, and shouting

Spoiler

THE MAGIC OF FRIENDSHIP!!!

before blasting the baddie with rainbows.  Can't they just once solve things with more....conventional means?  I would have preferred it if they had just smashed the stone with a hammer.  But whatevs.  Still love it.  I do appreciate that they had self-awareness and sense a humor about it.  Y'know, "Yeah, yeah, we get it, now let's light her up!"

Also, when Trixie kept asking who Wallflower was while they were talking to her, did anyone else think of this:

Spoiler

The whole special made me think of this, really.

One last thing.  Of course I didn't really think that Sunset was going to call Trixie a manipulative b*tch....but just for a second there....yeah....I kinda did....:laugh:

Edited by Justin_Case001

I actually loved this one,and not just because of trixie's powerfull greatness.the quality of the writing vastly improved and even the vilain was great for a change,(not just someone turning demon again.yay :yay:) and the entirety of the pony-world scenes was flawless(the library geeking out reminded me so much of the old twilight:P.good times) overal, its the best EqG for me easily surpassing even rainbow rocks,which was the only decent one until now,(again,just for my tastes, you can love them all i won't judge you)

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lord Valtasar said:

I actually loved this one,and not just because of trixie's powerfull greatness.the quality of the writing vastly improved and even the vilain was great for a change,(not just someone turning demon again.yay :yay:) and the entirety of the pony-world scenes was flawless(the library geeking out reminded me so much of the old twilight:P.good times) overal, its the best EqG for me easily surpassing even rainbow rocks,which was the only decent one until now,(again,just for my tastes, you can love them all i won't judge you)

I said it before but I love Twilights "I've always been good to you library" in this one.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I had more fun with this the second time through. After the first 10 minutes, it mostly stops being obnoxious and unfunny, and stuff like Twilight in the library and Trixie helping Sunset is every bit as charming as ever. More than that, I started to get the emotional core a little more, even if I think it's incredibly rudimentary - losing all your memories sure would be a horrible thing to have happen, after all, even if this is dramatically a bit unoriginal and thematically rather simplistic.  

My problem remains that I don't find Wallflower Blush sympathetic at all. Is the implication that she began erasing literally every interaction she ever had, simply because it didn't go her way? That's potentially sympathetic, but it doesn't seem like a good reason to lash out at Sunset. And if that's not the case, she still seems awfully entitled. If Wallflower wanted to make friends, maybe she should have tried reaching out a little. Even then, though, she's incredibly proactive throughout this, and we only see her being an actual wallflower in flashback. And then there's the simple fact that I just don't believe that the mane six would continually forget about her like that to begin with. I just don't believe Sunset owes her anything. A lot of this is hinges on the dynamic between Wallflower and Sunset, but I don't buy it at all, and I do think that's indicative of the simplistic way this approaches its themes. 

Also, the reunion with Celestia is a horrible disappointment. Not sure how anyone can be satisfied with that. 

Score:
Entertainment: 7/10
Characters: 6/10
Themes: 7/10
Story: 4/10
Overall: 60/100

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

• The topic was unpinned
  • 7 months later...

Well, I finally managed to watch this tonight. I had already seen a sizable amount of it thanks to YouTube clips, but I never really had the time to see it in full. I really enjoyed this special for many reasons - my favourite character being the focus was one, but I'll leave my bias out of this.

Sunset's situation of everyone forgetting that she changed and therefore rejecting her and giving her the cold shoulder, is something that really hits close to home for me. I empathised with her misfortune throughout and I think it made me love her even more than I did prior, as I just wanted to hug her. Trixie being an integral character of the plot, made things a lot more humorous and enjoyable than I had imagined. This special probably had some of the best gags in the whole of Equestria Girls thus far. I did enjoy the greater emphasis of the background characters from Canterlot High, as it gives them a lot more depth, especially compared to the earlier films. 

I liked how they linked the plot into Sunset returning to Equestria, which allowed us to finally see her meet Princess Celestia again, after such a long period of time. Twilight freaking out in an adorable way was a bonus too. Wallflower Blush herself, was pretty "meh" villain. She had motive, though I still believe that she targeted Sunset only because she was the most convenient person to blame - I've been in her situation don't get me wrong, but still felt overly petty to me. Aside from that, I could relate to Wallflower fairly well, so that added some appeal to her character for me. Overall, Forgotten Friendship was well worth the time and I'm sad I didn't see it sooner.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

New pony content! Even though they have legs :P  

The name's Wallflower Blush and I look like a bush.

image.png.94a29f32c18314ee16feef13ede4be0f.png

I was not prepared for human ponies in swimsuits. 

Ooh Sunset's memory power came in useful! I may have erased large parts of Camp Everfree from my memory :P Also ouch Rarity is savage with her "don't hurry back"?

image.thumb.png.c27999ce1294fe84dcef234eb5578952.png

"I was trying to hug you like Lyra, or a dinosaur, or an Equestria girl."

image.png.c7b404859c301c800bdb2bd14b0f0f97.png

"I come before you a changed pony..." Awkward silence. 

*Honk* Celestia replies.

image.png.4bc1e4922504e959803a0b28f1bfbe83.png

Equestria Girls is really just a radioactive waste dump for Equestrian magic :P 

image.png.e17ba502a9f17ac686104e82ada9bf52.png

"My not tan can't be uneven." Pure white Rarity trying to get a tan shouldn't be as funny as it is :P

image.png.aa61fe632fefbf1e532ddc6976e07ed1.png

"You really want to do this here? In the hallway?" *Trixie Wink*

image.png.fb61baa30edd81444ac5563cd8182499.png

"I'm a singing girl, a singing girl! This plot makes no seeense. Like how could I read ancient Ponish? And why does Twi hate Sunset?" 

I mean would Twi and Sunset even have met? Why doesn't memory-stripped Sunset have memories of being evil and entering the mirror?

image.png.ea6226543d90637be7c4b718daf35788.png

The wise and moralising Trixie :D

image.png.7a359ef782bd8fdb096a5ee50e2619b8.png

Pony Glimmer in Human world :D 

image.png.1307374d48ec972aeb4af2450af00479.png

D'aww :) that Twi/Sunset reunion

image.png.a41a5e976f5ded23a9d3ce1c051bbd23.png

"Everyone's forgiven instantly Wallflower. No matter what you do. I destroyed the school and it was basically group hugs instantly. So what you did is nothing."

image.thumb.png.0a4cc56035013ee5a9b27f97cc13266b.png

Awwww :3 should this make my eyes glisten? 

image.png.35f25143f3dab297a90d4dc5cfd64641.png

It's only magical terrorists that get to be remembered in the yearbook. Unless you try to destroy people then really who are you? 

image.png.61fa98b71cd602e88951139bf01c4848.png

Ahh it's about a yearbook and forcibly being forgotten. I geddit :P silly EQG

Welp that was fun. Not as good as the movies obv. Best bits had ponies in them :3 Here is Pinkflower Blushpie. Nopony knows her either. She is so small and quiet.

image.png

• 5 months later...
Spoiler

First of all i have to say that i didnt expected so much Pony in this one. I was so happy to see Sunset Shimmer in her Pony form again, i really miss her in the main show, since they should be the main 8 at this Point but i am happy that she and celestia finally settled their issues, so it felt a bit like a closure to her story arc.

Also i enjoyed the songs again, like its usually in the Equestria Girls franchise and the story was fine too. I also liked the new bulit friendship between Trixie and Sunset and that Trixie has become more than just a single line throwback joke, like it was in the first Equestria Girls installment )

All in all, very enjoyable. :squee:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned