Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a zombie apocalypse survivor

Dust-Shot

Sup! Dust Shot here! So, I got writing zombie fanfiction(I have a free sample if you want), my ponysona will be used in one, and I got bored, so I made this Ask A! Survival after the outbreak was tough, and many did not survive! But you have one pony that did and he will answer to your questions! Saddle up, and be ready to ask!

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, SharpWit said:

What sort of Zombies were they? Walkers, Runners?

Did you practice Napoleonic tactics?

Did you make good use of spears and or lances?

We have both. Tough I see the walkers to be more common.

I don't, since they're kinda outdated and need a bigger group of ponies.

I don't use spears, but from what I heard I they are some good weapons. But on the sides where lances and spears would go, I have guns there, so I'm kinda out of space. And I'm not risking myself getting close to these things:okiedokieloki:

9 hours ago, Cwanky said:

What is your preferred weapon or method of killing?

I use guns and ranged weapons since they can kill quick at a distance, but I also had quite some fun with some explosives;)

7 hours ago, Dust-Shot said:

I don't, since they're kinda outdated and need a bigger group of ponies.

I don't use spears, but from what I heard I they are some good weapons. But on the sides where lances and spears would go, I have guns there, so I'm kinda out of space. And I'm not risking myself getting close to these things:okiedokieloki:

If the apocalypse goes on long enough, you'll have to resort to muskets and things like the phalanx maneuver because it's the most effective against slow moving hordes and you're limited in what you can mass produce. Spears are nice because you can always find yourself a good stick or young tree and sharpen it on a rough surface if you literally have nothing but the clothes on your back.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, SharpWit said:

If the apocalypse goes on long enough, you'll have to resort to muskets and things like the phalanx maneuver because it's the most effective against slow moving hordes and you're limited in what you can mass produce. Spears are nice because you can always find yourself a good stick or young tree and sharpen it on a rough surface if you literally have nothing but the clothes on your back.

If we're talking about weapon decay that will get me back to muskets, I got myself covered. I'm quite a good gunsmith, so I could keep some weapons up and running for years. But if I find more spare parts. At one moment if this mess doesn't stop, I will run out of spare parts, so I'll be forced at a moment to either go to a new area where I can find new things. But if things completely ran out in my town I get no garantuee that there will be anything in the next place. So, I could say that I'll need a musket sometime. But it will be a long time 'til then.

The phalanx maneuver is inaccessible for me because of my small group. Maybe somepony can do it with 4 ponies, but as far as my history goes nopony did it, and I don't plan to be the first either.

In that case a spear would be a very good weapon as you could also stay at a distance. They are good in any case! Just depends if you know how to use them. And I know nothing about using a spear.

1 hour ago, Sondash Studios said:

How ugly were they?

What weapons did you use?

Pretty nasty. It is common for them to have their bellies cut open, they usually have cuts everywhere, missing limbs and even missing eyes. And the personality doesn't compensate either.

I mainly use a rifle I made myself(neat, huh?), one pistol since they're nice to have around in case of emergency and a bat in case I run out of ammo.

1 hour ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

Is there enough food to scavenge? What will you do when the food is gone?

Well THAT is a good question. It's a pretty bad situation with food here and at least here I don't expect the food supplies to last long. Yes, we managed to last by trade with farmer merchants we find nowadays but as the demand grows they will either get themselves killed for their farm or not be able to satisfy it. What will I do? Leave this desert, go to a more fertile place and learn farming. And do my best to protect my place.

Edited by Dust-Shot

So many I lost count of them. Why? Self defense. Not proud of it, these monsters have been normal ponies someday, and the other group still were, but hey, at least the zombies didn't have to suffer anymore, but for the living one's... I got no excuse.

2 minutes ago, Dust-Shot said:

If we're talking about weapon decay that will get me back to muskets, I got myself covered. I'm quite a good gunsmith, so I could keep some weapons up and running for years. But if I find more spare parts. At one moment if this mess doesn't stop, I will run out of spare parts, so I'll be forced at a moment to either go to a new area where I can find new things. But if things completely ran out in my town I get no garantuee that there will be anything in the next place. So, I could say that I'll need a musket sometime. But it will be a long time 'til then.

I was leaning more on the issue of ammunition. There may be plenty out there but within 2 years your ability to travel far distances with ease will have gone way down, and by then you may have used up most of what's available and if you haven't, ammunition does lose potency so with every passing year you've got to ask yourself, what are the chances this will be the bullet that lodges itself for good. Making your own ammunition and casings from scratch would be very difficult especially with the precision needed, but you could try reloading your spent casings but that only removes one part to an already tedious and time consuming process that also requires materials you may not be able to get a hold of or produce yourself. Really makes you appreciate modern amenities when you think about it.

(edited)

(OOC Yeah...)

Well, I could try to adapt my gun to musket ammo which is quite easy to make, but the thing that will stay in my way would be the revolver cylinder I have on my gun. Quite a stupid move if I think about it now. So, like I said I will get to muskets or try and make a gun that uses musket ammo. Musket balls have a history of being moulded in moulds. But only if I learn mining(which I doubt I will) I would be able to get proper lead, but from my knowledge a number of other metals are useable. Kinda looks like the food question. But this kinda puts "The end is comming if the walkers aren't gone" in bold.

And I forgot to say, a musket ball made from other metal than lead can get quite weak.

Edited by Dust-Shot