Altastrofae

Are Funerals Pointless?

Are funerals pointless?   

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think?

    • Yes
      8
    • No
      28
    • I have a mixed opinion
      20


Recommended Posts

Here's my opinion before you start backhanding me.

If I died, I don't won't to see people crying about it. Have a Bon Voyage party, make a Death Day Cake, make an altar in my memory, be happy about it. Just the thought of my departure causing so much ill-will upsets me. I don't want the people around me to just stop being happy after I'm gone, is all. Imagine being at your funeral and just seeing people crying about it like a bunch of wet noodles :/ I wouldn't want that

I've always hated funerals for that reason. I get so confused when people get pissed at me for not crying at funeral. I just don't see a reason to stop being happy. We're all gonna die at some point, and I'm not gonna mope about it every time it happens.

It really kills my mood, and I find that counterintuitive. Are you not trying to get over the loss? I think a celebration would be more fitting :/

But what's your opinion? Are funerals pointless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nightmare Terror said:

No! Well it depends if your a Christian or not...

Not.

I'm Wiccan, and have extremely controversial opinions. If you need to start an argument fast, I'm your guy ¦D

 

sweetydeath.jpg.3fba6785d6a07fd150ba987a77f8929f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not really seen as a "happy thing" in most cultures when death happens. Ask anyone who has lost someone close if they felt like throwing them a "Bon Voyage" party. Funerals aren't always for the elderly either; they could be for children too, people who died from disease at a relatively young age or suffered a horrible fate from their own hands or another. It may not have been their time yet, and didn't have to end the way it did. I can't see very much light in it.

However, having a wee bit of Christian faith (can't say I am one however), death was never very intimidating to me since I considered there to be an afterlife where one can live peacefully eternally, so perhaps you could appreciate death as a passage to a peaceful next chapter if you know that is what is coming for them. Regardless, it's mostly still nothing to celebrate and be jolly about, at least, that's how I see it.

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 2
  • teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

2 minutes ago, WWolf said:

It's not really seen as a "happy thing" in most cultures when death happens. Ask anyone who has lost someone close if they felt like throwing them a "Bon Voyage" party. Funerals aren't always for the elderly either; they could be for children too, people who died from disease at a relatively young age or suffered a horrible fate from their own hands or another. It may not have been their time yet, and didn't have to end the way it did. I can't see very much light in it.

However, having a wee bit of Christian faith (can't say I am one however), death was never very intimidating to me since I considered there to be an afterlife where one can live peacefully eternally, so perhaps you could appreciate death as a passage to a peaceful next chapter if you know that is what is coming for them. Regardless, it's mostly still nothing to celebrate and be jolly about, at least, that's how I see it.

I’m not intimidated. I’m a Christian (not gonna start an argument,and I’m leaving this thread)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WWolf said:

It's not really seen as a "happy thing" in most cultures when death happens. Ask anyone who has lost someone close if they felt like throwing them a "Bon Voyage" party. Funerals aren't always for the elderly either; they could be for children too, people who died from disease at a relatively young age or suffered a horrible fate from their own hands or another. It may not have been their time yet, and didn't have to end the way it did. I can't see very much light in it.

However, having a wee bit of Christian faith (can't say I am one however), death was never very intimidating to me since I considered there to be an afterlife where one can live peacefully eternally, so perhaps you could appreciate death as a passage to a peaceful next chapter if you know that is what is coming for them. Regardless, it's mostly still nothing to celebrate and be jolly about.

Of course, an untimely death would be very upsetting, but I think that if I live a full life, die, and people are upset, then I'd be upset that they're getting all, y'know, upset about it D¦

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we know how the ponies handle this, that would be my way !

I bet they are not religious in any way, more than that they like and love their Princesses. So ok that´s a "kind" of religion :ooh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Altastrofae said:

Of course, an untimely death would be very upsetting, but I think that if I live a full life, die, and people are upset, then I'd be upset that they're getting all, y'know, upset about it D¦

I suppose yea you're right :wacko: . I'm pretty pessimistic, but I'm sure people who've dealt with it managed to see the bright side of things; appreciating what they had with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Though I can't exactly say I'd want a funeral myself, I understand that they have a purpose as I strongly believe in respect for the dead. I'd personally want my loved ones to feel that my passing has had an impact on them, even if I wouldn't want them to have to sit through a long, boring service or be depressed after I was gone. I'd just want them to honor me in their own way, then find comfort in my soul being at peace. :kindness:

  • Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

12 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Though I can't exactly say I'd want a funeral myself, I understand that they have a purpose as I strongly believe in respect for the dead. I'd personally want my loved ones to feel that my passing has had an impact on them, even if I wouldn't want them to have to sit through a long, boring service or be depressed after I was gone. I'd just want them to honor me in their own way, then find comfort in my soul being at peace. :kindness:

Holy Fudge-Crackers, that made the most sense of anything anyone has thrown at me!

Holy Banana-Balls, I just had an epiffany!

Holy Pizza-Doughnuts, I coulda had a V8

(Yes, I did just say that) :derp:

In all seriousness though, that does make alot o' sense

Edited by Altastrofae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me personally I would never want a funeral, mostly for the reasons you stated. I don't want to stage an event which primarily makes people sad, and as such I don't see a benefit from them.

However I'm aware this is a sensitive subject so it's certainly fine to disagree - funerals likely are very important to others which I respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I don't think they're entirely pointless. But they are definitely overpriced and too much is done for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Depends. Do you think of questions like why do we even exist, then funerals may be ok. Like i always look at animals and wonder why some are good and bad. So i dunno, i don't mind it but i am sort of selfish like i only think it matters if i know that person. Though i think dying in general just sucks

Edited by Cadancerules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cadancerules said:

Depends. Do you think of questions like why do we even exist, then funerals may be ok. Like i always look at animals and wonder why some are good and bad. So i dunno, i don't mind it but i am sort of selfish like i only think it matters if i know that person. Though i think dying in general just sucks

What do you mean by "good and bad animals"? O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Altastrofae said:

What do you mean by "good and bad animals"? O.o

Well when you pat a cat, what do you think? To me i think of life in general and think of that. Friends, family, nature. Like why we even exist. I dunno, animals just overall helps me value stuff i feel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cadancerules said:

Well when you pat a cat, what do you think? To me i think of life in general and think of that. Friends, family, nature. Like why we even exist. I dunno, animals just overall helps me value stuff i feel.

 

And some animals give you bad feelings? O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funerals are somewhat pointless. They just spend a lot of money on something that isn't necessary. However, just because they are pointless doesn't mean they shouldn't happen, because a funeral will allow many people to get over the grief for their loss. The practice itself is pointless but the meaning behind it is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

8 minutes ago, Nightfall Thunder said:

Funerals are somewhat pointless. They just spend a lot of money on something that isn't necessary. However, just because they are pointless doesn't mean they shouldn't happen, because a funeral will allow many people to get over the grief for their loss. The practice itself is pointless but the meaning behind it is not.

I guess I have different views on death :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I hate about funerals the most is that they are a business. "Care about the person you lost? Show it by spending all your money on a service...or don't, if you don't care."

When I'm gone I don't want people spending lots of money on me. I'd prefer the money before I'm dead to be honest. I also don't want people moaning and crying. Celebrate my life instead. Through a party. Don't become a victim of emotional blackmail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 minute ago, Flutterstep said:

When I'm gone I don't want people spending lots of money on me. I'd prefer the money before I'm dead to be honest. I also don't want people moaning and crying. Celebrate my life instead. Through a party. Don't become a victim of emotional blackmail.

The thing with that is, some people want to grieve in that way. I would find it strange to throw a party after someone's death. Of course you can celebrate their life afterwards, but saying that people who participate in funerals have succumbed to emotion blackmail is a bit much. I am sure that's the case for some people, but probably not most. I can see where you're coming from with the party thing, but many people would find that weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

3 minutes ago, Nightfall Thunder said:

The thing with that is, some people want to grieve in that way. I would find it strange to throw a party after someone's death. Of course you can celebrate their life afterwards, but saying that people who participate in funerals have succumbed to emotion blackmail is a bit much. I am sure that's the case for some people, but probably not most. I can see where you're coming from with the party thing, but many people would find that weird.

Mexicans do that. Dia de los Muertos is all about celebrating everyone you've lost over the years, your anscestors, etc. They don't do funerals, really. They acknowledge the death, but really, they just live with it. They see death as being a release from the troubles of life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Altastrofae said:

Mexicans do that. Dia de los Muertos is all about celebrating everyone you've lost over the years, your anscestors, etc. They don't do funerals, really. They acknowledge the death, but really, they just live with it. They see death as being a release from the troubles of life

Oh, I forgot about that. That's a little bit different though, as their culture is just massively different. I still find that weird, but I understand it. On the other hand, I'm sure that mexican people who celebrate Dia de Los Muertos would say that grieving is weird. It really just depends on where you're from and how you grew up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I dont really like funerals i personally dont feel that I or anyone there really accomplishes anything by just going there and being there. It feels more like they need to prove or justify someone that they cared or somethign like that. I dont really want to buy into that I mean you dont have to prove anything to anyone and I dont really feel that it is worth all the money you need to sink into it.

My dad was a funeral photographer and people are willing to pay surprisingly large amounts of cash for some pictures and I personally wouldn't call them very aestethic pictures either. It is almost if like what they are spending on embodies the person who they lost to them. And while that can be a way handle it I personally dont see myself practicing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I'm not gonna say that they're pointless. Crying is a natural reaction to someone's death. It's not what a person do by will (and well I never see anyone does this to show others. If there are such persons then shame on them to fake their feelings to a dead person). Just thinking about that someone close to me will leave me forever some day, makes me feel so sad and upset. 

Funneral is one of the last right of the passed away person and in no way pointless. But spending too much over a funneral is definitely pointless. That's my opinion at this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

A funeral, like many things in life, is quite relative. It is truly as pointless or meaningful as you choose to make it. You may find it unnecessarily emotional, but for many, it is the last time they can connect to a relative, friend or loved one through tangibly, at least outside the supernatural. 

Mind you a funeral doesn't have to be a somber affair. It can very much be a time of meaningful remembrance, commemoration and celebration of a person's life. Our popular culture has just ingrained this notion that funerals must be sad affairs. We choose to make of them what they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.