Are funerals pointless?   

58 users have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have a mixed opinion

(edited)

*puts in two cents*

My father once told me that "funerals are for the living, not the dead". A funeral is an opportunity for the family and community left behind to help them go through the grieving process and to have a formal way to show respect and say goodbye. I think that having a get-together or a party can help in a similar fashion. As for a traditional funeral, there can be a kind of comfort for those involved in being part of a well-established, long-lasting societal tradition.

*reads some of the posts*

is there an echo in here? (oops)

Edited by BlueBrony

I think funerals are nice because, based on the one that I've gone to for my grandfather, they serve a good conclusion for the person's life. Members of my grandfather's family went up to the microphone to talk about what he meant to them, and I learned new things about him too. Funerals to me are "This was their life, and let's collectively say goodbye," which doesn't seem very pointless to me at all.

• 2 weeks later...

i think they're pointless for the dead ones,but their friend's and family get to gather and talk about them a bit,
that said when i die i'd prefer to be given for research to some medical university or something,since its the only way i see my corpse could actually be usefull
(let them play with my corpse i'll be dead i won't care)

Funerals are a way to grieve those we lost. They are for the living not the dead. Its a time to process the fact that you wont see them again ( at least not in this life if you believe in that sort of thing ). 

So no funerals are far from pointless. 

My grandma loves making cookies for funerals she goes to. They seem to do something positive for her so I would say no they are not pointless  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm not really a fan of gathering around because of people's deaths I mean they are good for some people and on some occasions but  i dont really like going to them in general and even less if it's someone who I don't even know that well 

And it doesn't really seem like they serve much of a purpose other than gathering lot of relatives etc together to remember the person in question. Which could be done without the event also.

Another thing is that they tend to be pretty expensive considering what you are getting out of them which really isn't that much to begin with other than the gathering of relatives and stuff which I personally don't find that attractive of a situation.

• 4 months later...

I think funerals are very meaningful. I haven't lost anyone very close to me yet, but I know I will eventually. I feel like a funeral helps give closure to the people who miss the deceased and helps them make it through their mourning. I suppose someone who's actually lost a loved one might understand it better though.

I don't think so, since it's a day to have a memorial for the dead and for the living to reflect. I personality do not like to attend one since ..well. it's complicated. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think that funerals are pointless, now the word funeral is kind of a negative word to put on someone's life. I think that if we just got rid of that, and replaced it with life celebration, people might have a different outlook on it all. 

Yes, if you have people that genuinely care about you, when you pass away, they will be sad, they will mourn you. But that goes hand in hand with humans being a species that thrives on being part of groups and having close personal relationships. Is this really a bad thing? 

I think that as long as you can process the loss, and remember them how they were, rather than realize what they are now, it will help. I think that the whole view point on funerals is just a negative one, no one wants to think of their own mortality, but it's a fact of life, you live, you die. But you can make darn sure that while you are living you can make the most of it and impact those who care for you, and those around you.

(edited)

It depends on the person I guess, but personally I find them a bit pointless. Can't you just bury me without all the religious Pomp and Circumstance? :bea: I get having a little commemoration, but I think that there's a difference between that and a funeral. It doesn't really help my standpoint that I'm an agnostic atheist, I suppose.

Edited by DusksuD

Well, kind of. :dash: We put people in metal caskets, very expressive metal caskets, pump them full of chemicals and let them rot in the ground.

Well everyone deals with grief in their own way. Some people like having them so they can remember the person's life together and share stories. But they aren't for everyone; some people prefer to deal with the loss on their own, through quiet reflection. I would go to the funeral for a close friend or close family member, but if I didn't know the person as well, I'd find it a bit uncomfortable to go to the funeral and be surrounded by people I didn't know. Instead I would probably send a card/in memory donation to a favorite charity to the living relatives.

For both my mother and father, we called their funerals a "memorial service" since "funeral" has more connotations of sadness and grieving (plus connotations of having a casket, burial, etc. whereas my parents were both cremated) and we wanted to celebrate their lives and remember the positive memories of them. 

That said, I kinda like the idea of a "living funeral", where everyone celebrates your life with you before you die. So you get to have everyone you love in one place once more and hear everyone's funny stories of you :P. Seems like a nice way to go, if poking fun a bit.