What the difference between real taco and fake taco

SDP40F amtrak

If it’s a matter of authenticity, let’s just say I’ve been to Mexico and had ‘real’ tacos from a very authentic source, and they weren’t even close to being as yummy as the ‘fake’ American fast food counterparts. Maybe it’s a matter of my upbringing, and my love for highly processed food with lots of additives and preservatives, but flavor is flavor, and the authentic ones I had lacked it. Otherwise, whether they’re soft or crispy makes no difference to me, nor do the toppings. Any good taco is ‘official’ in my book.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

Are they in a small tortilla? Doesn't matter if it's soft or hard, or corn or flour. If it's a small tortilla, and is vaguely taco shaped, then it's a taco

Now the difference in quality depends on where you get it. Now I'm not a snob or anything, I'm down for Taco Bell or Del Taco if I'm ever in the mood, but the best tacos are the ones you can get from some guy off the street, that's the good stuff.

Also, always try "birria" tacos, those are the absolute best

• Brohoof 1

A weak taco you can chew and still talk.
A taco with strength you chew.
The meat just absorbs all the space
and all the air possible all in your throat
to the point that if you wanted to start talkin'
Nothin' but mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm is comin' out
word.

(edit) HA! I made the exact same joke like 6 years ago on the other page, I have changed so much and so little in that time it seems :Pip-giggle:

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

beans

(edited)

As a mexican I say: Real tacos are the one made with real soft tortilla, it has been a tradition for hundreds of years, the hard shell tacos is well... american, am not saying they are bad or anything but they are not mexican, they can be delicious but they can never be authentic mexican food and is kinda upsetting seeing people around the world that tries the hard shell taco and say is mexican food when is not mexican and top of all to think there's people thinking we mexican only eat hard shell tacos and nothing else is... hilariously offensive xD.

I always thought that the hard shell taco is the equivalent of adding pineapple on a italian pizza but don't get me wrong I dont hate the american tacos, at the end of the day they are also made of corn, they have meat and vegetables yes and they can be very delicious but it lacks.... soul if you know what I mean, authentisity. Is like taking an anime from Japan and Netflix adapt it with western animators and for modern audiences and spread it around the world... heh heh too extreme the comparison I know but is kinda the same, one product of a country altered and spread through the world.

In conclusion I wouldn't say the american hard shell tacos are "fake" per se but they are.... wannabe tacos

Edited by Rethajni
  • Brohoof 2

if it looks like a taco and tastes like a taco then it's a real taco
ur not the authority on what counts as authentic mexican food, nobody is, so swallow ur pride and have some taco bell, it's yummy.