Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Make show discussion hidden

DubWolf

I’ve had things spoiled in the past just by the names of certain threads. I understand you can’t just title a topic “spoiler thread 1” since you’d have a hard time searching for a certain discussion topic, and abstracting a topic isn’t always possible or practical.

What if the show discussion was hidden like life advice used to be, or perhaps add a spoilers subforum for “event critical” topics (I.e., outcomes of cliffhangers, surprising betrayals or redemptions, deaths (not very applicable here), etc)? I think anything could be considered a spoiler, and not everyone is in the same timeline as to what has been seen by most people already (i.e., everyone should know at this point that the changelings changed, and that Discord was redeemed) so it’s not so black and white. Still, a good discussion on this would be good.

• Brohoof 2

I understand you want to prevent spoilers but I don't think hiding show discussion would be the best idea. There really isn't anything you can do when a user carelessly puts together their title than have a staff member edit it. Hiding show discussion until a certain post count doesn't make too much sense. Another workaround could be hiding show discussion from the main page, but that also can lead to problems in the future.

Only thing I can think of is having the ability to hide the forum on a per user basis.

• Brohoof 1

Unlike Equestria Daily which curates it’s content since it’s a blog site, we rely on user generated content, which makes it a bit trickier to accomplish. I mean I can hide SD in the forum index block but the problem Is it’s the second most viewed area so that could impact traffic. 

That said, an argument can be made to figure a way to separate spoiler discussion on Season 9 from the general show and non spoiler discussion. The only way I can think that would work is to use the Season 9 Subforum to house episode related topics until a week after they have aired in the US. Then I could keep said Forum from showing up on the index. We have some time to think about it. 

• Brohoof 3

Well there is a "spoiler" tab and an warning within the show discussion thread. So I don't think it would be necessary to make it hidden, since it's the kind of "enter in at your own risk" thread. So if you see a spoiler tab, it's no one's fault but yours for clicking it. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:00 PM, TBD said:

Well there is a "spoiler" tab and an warning within the show discussion thread. So I don't think it would be necessary to make it hidden, since it's the kind of "enter in at your own risk" thread. So if you see a spoiler tab, it's no one's fault but yours for clicking it. 

Yes but even sometimes the title of the thread can spoil something. One instance is a thread here I saw in the forums index called "what did you think about Derpy's sacrifice?" (referring to the MLP 2017 movie). I was shocked to see this! (thankfully it wasn't super critical to the plot as Twilight could've easily been out of harms way in some other means so this event could've been thrown out). It was renamed to "what did you think about Derpy's role" to make it less..... spoilery :wacko: .

• Brohoof 1

Just now, WWolf said:

Yes but even sometimes the title of the thread can spoil something. One instance is a thread here I saw in the forums index called "what did you think about Derpy's sacrifice?" (referring to the MLP 2017 movie). I was shocked to see this! (thankfully it wasn't super critical to the plot as Twilight could've easily been out of harms way in some other means so this event could've been thrown out). It was renamed to "what did you think about Derpy's role" to make it less..... spoilery :wacko: .

I see what you mean, i guess these people who titled it wrongly should be notify that it contains spoilers. 

We’ll figure out some solution to spoilers before Season 9 rolls around. First we need to determine how long after the episode airs (in North America) that something is considered a spoiler. The shorter the duration, the easier it is to implement from a thread management perspective