Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm new to the MLP IDW comics. What should I read first?

Sepul-Coloratura

I was quite curious about the comics, but afraid to start because there were too many. I'm trying to get everything if possible, but is there more important or good series of the official MLP comics? (just like how certain Batman comics are considered classics and has more significance to the whole franchise)

There are too many MLP comics series, which is quite confusing already, but what drives me even more crazy is there are multiple series going on at the same time. So, I'm trying to read them all in a chronological order without going back and forth as less as possible (while trying to read one series at a time)

Can you kindly recommend a good way to start and what's good and what's OK to pass? I'd be thankful for your help.

• Brohoof 1

That's easy, start with the main series. :P It's simply titled "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". You don't have to ever worry about getting lost in the comics. As someone who has kept fairly up to date with the main series while only reading a handful of side series issues, I have never not understood something vital to the story and have at worst just had to look up a few minor references I didn't get initially. Unless you deliberately skip over an issue in an ongoing arc, you'll be fine following the story.   

• Brohoof 1

I'd say it depends. Typically I will always recommend the very first story arc; issues 1-4 "The Return of Queen Chrysalis." That is a story that, while flawed, still holds up to be generally good. It's canon status is pretty much in question these days, but that shouldn't wreck the enjoyment of the story.

If you want to start on more recent stories, then the "From the Shadows" arc is a decent start as it serves as a quasi-prequel to the episodes "Shadow Play."

That's just the main series though. There are plenty of side series like Friends Forever, Legends of Magic, and the currently going Nightmare Knights series, so best to do your research there. :P

• Brohoof 1