Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Black Metal and mlp?

WhimsicalEngineer

I know this is a broad question but... For all those that are familiar with black metal, how do you feel about mixing black metal/depressive black metal music and elements into mlp? Like artwork, music and fanfiction integrating the two together.

I'm leaning towards thing like Pinkemena's depressive episodes being expressed through this.:nom:

Black metal aren't neccesairly depression or santa (christmas mode :mlp_icwudt:)

Look immortal.

I want to do something about this anyways, maybe one of the pie sisters :3!

Edited by Usager

It's very possible. The one thing about the lyrics it that you're going to really have to pay attention and think critically. You must show emotions and create allegorical connections with characters and certain illustrations. The point is, it will be very difficult to write the lyrics because of the emotional aspect and emotional dealing. 

As for instrumentals, don't get too carried away and end up drowning your vocals behind the rest of your instruments. 

Could be an interesting mix. Though I'd avoid focusing on the aspects of friendship and the emotions of the characters, and instead focus on the world. Places like the everfree forest, Tarturus, the crystal empire under Sombra, the changeling hive pre-Throax, or beings like NMM, Tirek & Chrysalis make great fodder for Black Metal. 

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to write a song about the Everfree and the horrors that lie within, as much of Black Metal has a focus on the eeriness of nature and pagan beliefs. 

Or you can sound like Dimmu Bogir, Behemoth, Goat Whore or Cradle Of Filth and just create something intense and bombastic. 

14 hours ago, Usager said:

Black metal aren't neccesairly depression or santa (christmas mode :mlp_icwudt:)

Look immortal.

I want to do something about this anyways, maybe one of the pie sisters :3!

Oh i know, I'm talking a more general sense. I like Immortal as well, but what i was thinking was more depressive kinds of bands like Xasthur, Darkthrone, and Make a Change... Kill Yourself.

3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Could be an interesting mix. Though I'd avoid focusing on the aspects of friendship and the emotions of the characters, and instead focus on the world. Places like the everfree forest, Tarturus, the crystal empire under Sombra, the changeling hive pre-Throax, or beings like NMM, Tirek & Chrysalis make great fodder for Black Metal. 

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to write a song about the Everfree and the horrors that lie within, as much of Black Metal has a focus on the eeriness of nature and pagan beliefs. 

Or you can sound like Dimmu Bogir, Behemoth, Goat Whore or Cradle Of Filth and just create something intense and bombastic. 

Hah, thats exactly where I want it to revolve around though. Especially Depressive Black Metal with Pinkie's depressive episodes.I'm not too much focused on Scandinavian forests and pagansim, but more on psychological problems, hence Pinkie. So bands like Xasthur, Leviathan, Angantyr, Thy Light and Make a Change... Kill Yourself IMO, would provide the best atmosphere.I kinda want to twist it up somewhat like the fanfic cupcakes.

13 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

It's very possible. The one thing about the lyrics it that you're going to really have to pay attention and think critically. You must show emotions and create allegorical connections with characters and certain illustrations. The point is, it will be very difficult to write the lyrics because of the emotional aspect and emotional dealing. 

As for instrumentals, don't get too carried away and end up drowning your vocals behind the rest of your instruments. 

Or I could make the lyrics so distorted that people cant understand one word and I don't release the lyrics haha (I'm looking at you Xasthur and Gorgoroth).

In all seriousness, thanks for the advice.

8 minutes ago, WhimsicalEngineer said:

Hah, thats exactly where I want it to revolve around though. Especially Depressive Black Metal with Pinkie's depressive episodes.I'm not too much focused on Scandinavian forests and pagansim, but more on psychological problems, hence Pinkie. So bands like Xasthur, Leviathan, Angantyr, Thy Light and Make a Change... Kill Yourself IMO, would provide the best atmosphere.I kinda want to twist it up somewhat like the fanfic cupcakes.

In that case, I'd almost go traditional death metal. They're more visceral in the way the delve into murder and psychological torment. I never found black metal to be all that great at conveying the sort of stuff that revolves around graphic horrors. 

4 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

In that case, I'd almost go traditional death metal. They're more visceral in the way the delve into murder and psychological torment. I never found black metal to be all that great at conveying the sort of stuff that revolves around graphic horrors. 

Nah not like that. Evil, psychotic, depressive, eerie, basically most of human suffering.

So something like 

and

Fucking raw shit.

8 hours ago, WhimsicalEngineer said:

Nah not like that. Evil, psychotic, depressive, eerie, basically most of human suffering.

So something like 

and

Fucking raw shit.

Eh...I think that may be pushing the envelope a little...too far for pony music don't you think?

9 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Eh...I think that may be pushing the envelope a little...too far for pony music don't you think?

Maybe, this is mlp we're talking about, a show for little girls haha. I've been skeptical about the whole thing ever since I thought about it. But in my head it works out perfectly for me. I mean, the kind of story that I'm thinking of isn't really going to focus on the aspect of what the whole show is about. I'm thinking something more on a dark side that shows that the perfect universe that they live in is far from perfect. Not a dark side that is like the show itself but close to that of what we'd see in the real world. It would be something they'd never thought to understand because it would be nothing they've ever encountered before.

34 minutes ago, WhimsicalEngineer said:

Maybe, this is mlp we're talking about, a show for little girls haha. I've been skeptical about the whole thing ever since I thought about it. But in my head it works out perfectly for me. I mean, the kind of story that I'm thinking of isn't really going to focus on the aspect of what the whole show is about. I'm thinking something more on a dark side that shows that the perfect universe that they live in is far from perfect. Not a dark side that is like the show itself but close to that of what we'd see in the real world. It would be something they'd never thought to understand because it would be nothing they've ever encountered before.

But as hard hitting and rough around the edges as Black Metal is...maybe punk metal or something a bit lighter would fit. Punk, in terms of lyrics really hones down on the realistic struggles of life and can hit the darker stuff. 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...