TheAnimationFanatic

What are two or more episodes with similar themes, focus on similar characters, or tackle similar issues so well that they go together almost perfectly as companion pieces?

Ex: "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" and "A Royal Problem".  OR "Parental Glideance" and "The Parent Map".

• Brohoof 1

43 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Dragon Quest and Gauntlet of Fire (and The Times They are a Changeling, arguably), Fall Weather Friends and Non-Compete Clause, and A Hearth's Warming Eve and A Hearth's Warming Tail. 

I'd argue that "Fall Weather Friends" and "Buckball Season" work better together since the latter is actually good unlike "Non-Compete Clause".

1 minute ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

"Wonderbolts Academy" and "The Washouts" for obvious reasons.

For "The Washouts" I would have gone with "Flight to the Finish" as a companion piece episode as they both focus on Scootaloo's inability to fly and how that affects her day to day life.

• Brohoof 1

"Slice of Life" and "Amending Fences" because both involve multiple background ponies in prominent roles, and both are among my all-time favorite episodes!

11 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

That too.

I actually considered The Washouts with Sleepless In Ponyville, with Scootaloo asking RD to take her under her wing, with The Washouts being about RD trying to grow into that role

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

I actually considered The Washouts with Sleepless In Ponyville, with Scootaloo asking RD to take her under her wing, with The Washouts being about RD trying to grow into that role

It does feel like a follow up to "Sleepless In Ponyville" and "Flight To The Finish", in the same vein of "Sisterhooves Social", "For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils", and "Forever Filly".

I think "Look Before You Sleep" and "The End in Friend" has the exact same same topic and a lesson.

"Winter Wrap Up" and "A Rockhoof and a Hard Place" has a same topic. It's about an outsider struggling to fit, and eventually their unique talent helps others. But one does not simply try to commit suicide.

"The Hooffields and McColts" and "Sounds of Silence" are in the same vein but only the residents were dealing the problem the exact opposite way.

"Grannies Gone Wild" feels similar to "Applejack's Day Off" since the characters follow Applejack's dumb instructions only to find out it was actually dumb.

"Inspiration Manifestation" is the Rarity version of "Too Many Pinkie Pies". And it is also the exact counterpart for "Secret of My Excess".

"Putting Your Hoof Down" is similar to "Fake ot Til You Make It". Fluttershy uses the similar method to fix the similar issue. But it feels less resolved in the lattrer one.

"The Saddle Row Review" and "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" are different episodes, but feels like it was diredted by the same person (of course, most all the seasons are directed by the same people but these two especially shares a similar style snd tone).

• Brohoof 1

"Sleepless in Ponyville" "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls" and "Bloom and Gloom" for Luna helping the CMC through their dreams.

"Gauntlet of Fire" and "Times They Are a Changeling" for Good Spike Episodes of him befriending a Dragon and a Changeling.

Part 2 of "To Where and Back Again" and "To Change a Changeling" features the Changeling Kingdom

• Brohoof 1