Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Granny Smith

ManaMinori

Surprisingly, she hasn’t really gotten too many episodes that are her own. The Golden Girls was an episode with Rainbow Dash. And a group of elder ponies. The real last episode that was all hers seemed to be Family Appreciation day, where, sadly, a lot of her mannerisms were either openly mocked by school fillies or played for laughter to embarrass a confused and ignorant Apple Bloom. 

As the kids who grew up with MLP have entered adulthood or teenage years, some could’ve found themselves with the responsibility of caring for aging parents. The adults who have latched onto this show from the beginning may also have found themselves in similar situations. 

As someone who has a family member recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, it would be a breath of fresh air to see just how the Apple family might take it when Granny Smith’s mental health starts deteriorating at a faster rate than what we’ve been shown. How each family member might deal with the stress and new challenges as Granny might start forgetting who they are or wandering off in the middle of the night, and how it affects their own mental health, social lives, and work. 

• Brohoof 2

I get what you're after here and while it might be interesting and even therapeutic if done right, I still have to slightly disagree here. While there are cases when cartoons have been able to address and pull off things like this successfully, I guess that our colorful ponies might not be up to this particular task. I mostly watch FiM as an "escape" from the everyday life, something cute and harmless. I watch this specific cartoon when I don't want to think about my death relatives, family members with memory disorders etc. (But that's just me of course)

If Granny would get severe dementia and started to forget names of her loved ones, it would feel little out of place, especially given that the show is about to end. I feel that this kind of matter should have more screentime than one or two episodes squeezed between other themes. Picture this: there's one bittersweet episode where Applebloom understands that her grandmother won't be there for her forever, but the previous and following episodes are about Pinkie eating too much cotton candy and Twi losing her marbles because of a missing library card... Idk, I just feel like some other show could address this important topic better than mlp.  But you're right, we could use more Granny Smith episodes

And sorry to hear about your family member :(

2 hours ago, Divine plywood said:

I get what you're after here and while it might be interesting and even therapeutic if done right, I still have to slightly disagree here. While there are cases when cartoons have been able to address and pull off things like this successfully, I guess that our colorful ponies might not be up to this particular task. I mostly watch FiM as an "escape" from the everyday life, something cute and harmless. I watch this specific cartoon when I don't want to think about my death relatives, family members with memory disorders etc. (But that's just me of course)

If Granny would get severe dementia and started to forget names of her loved ones, it would feel little out of place, especially given that the show is about to end. I feel that this kind of matter should have more screentime than one or two episodes squeezed between other themes. Picture this: there's one bittersweet episode where Applebloom understands that her grandmother won't be there for her forever, but the previous and following episodes are about Pinkie eating too much cotton candy and Twi losing her marbles because of a missing library card... Idk, I just feel like some other show could address this important topic better than mlp.  But you're right, we could use more Granny Smith episodes

And sorry to hear about your family member :(

How is that much different than shoving an emotionally heavy episode like The Perfect Pear in between Discordant Harmony and Fame and Misfortune- which were silly Discord shenanigans and a bunch of horse face memes? 

What comes before or after said episode wasn't my point. All I'm saying is that family fighting against dementia could be maybe little too hardcore for this show

I don't see how an episode where character turns into a husk of her former self and forgets her grandchildren's names could fit in this cartoon. That is if we're talking about proper memory disorder and not just some cute memory loss gimmick.

• Brohoof 2

On 4/2/2019 at 11:37 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

As someone who has a family member recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, it would be a breath of fresh air to see just how the Apple family might take it when Granny Smith’s mental health starts deteriorating at a faster rate than what we’ve been shown. How each family member might deal with the stress and new challenges as Granny might start forgetting who they are or wandering off in the middle of the night, and how it affects their own mental health, social lives, and work.

This is never going to happen on a dang kids show. These shows are loved because they teach and make you feel good. Not because they bum you out. If people wanted that they would grab the nearest grey/brown FPS game and dive into whatever generic dystopia they came up with this time.