Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Analysis of Bronies

Ezynell

This is kind of meant to be an article that bronies show their friends to recruit them or their parents to show them why they love MLP. I have posted it on Reddit and edited it countless times to fix bias and get facts straight. Here is my Tumblr if you want to follow it.

To kick things off were going to answer the simplest question, what is a brony? A brony is a fan of the Hasbro franchise, My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic. This phenomenon started in the /co/ or comics and cartoons section of 4chan and quickly spread throughout other sections of the website, primarily the /b/ or random section, coining the term “brony”. It is a common misconception that brony is derived from the slang “brother” and “pony”, but in actuality, it came from /b/ random section of 4chan and pony.

But why? What makes grown adults and teenagers so attracted to this show intended for 7-year-old girls? There are four simple reasons. The animation quality, the humor, the interaction, and the community. It also helps that the show is created by the mastermind Lauren Faust, the creator of the Power Puff Girls and Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, but lets start off with the animation quality. The show is animated in Flash, a type of animation more familiar to older teenagers and younger adults in the first place. It is incredible quality and made using vectors, a type of animation that has literally unlimited quality potential. The hidden pictures, easter eggs, and small games between the producers and fanbase only add to the quality and attraction of the show.

Next, the humor. The show has a large amount of puns, surprisingly slightly made for adults despite the target audience of younger females. Other than that, the producers still have an excellent sense of humor, throwing in

at every turn and corner that they possibly can.

Thirdly, the interaction. The producers, especially Lauren Faust are specially known for interacting with the community. On of the most prominent examples of such behavior is Derpy Hooves (shown earlier in the Easter Egg link). This figure was originally show as an animation error, but being discovered (again on 4chan) and a large reaction from the fans, the animators put him in as a where’s waldo game for the fans, shown hidden in many of the scenes in odd places. Also, Lauren Faust commonly interacts with the community through her DeviantART.

The main reason for the huge spread among all age groups is, without question, the community. MLP has a huge fan base and very active community that helps everybody everypony in times of need or just with desires. There are also hundreds of

(pony music videos), spoofs,
(Eeyup), and
on Youtube. As this is a very simple statement, it is most true to the brony community and shows why many people are attracted naturally to join and help the community. Naturally, due to the basics of human psychology, we are naturally attracted to, and feel tendencies to help, others which offer help, are kind, and do not cause unnecessary harm or suffering to anybody else. This being said, people are naturally afraid to join the community, or at least publicly admit to joining the community or enjoying the show because of the fear of public rejection for enjoying a show intended for 7 year old girls. Only people not afraid of segregation and willing to publicly announce their opinions despite of it are open to the show, keeping egotistical trolls away. This causes the community to be formed primarily of trustworthy welcoming members that love and tolerate to no end. The community is so active, that hundreds of submemes have been formed in its name.

To sum it up. If you dislike My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic, you either have not watched it with an open mind, are heavily subjected to bias and negative external influence, or you have not seen the show. It is a very rare occasion that somebody is socially open and active, yet still, after watching it, rejects MLP. Bronies will still love and tolerate the shit out of everypony.

Here are some of the best reviews of bronies:

-Why Grown Ass Men Like My Little Pony (my favorite)

-Urban Dictionary Definition (not professional, but reviews from fans as well has haters)

-Know Your Meme

Here are some famous bronies:

Stephen Colbert (From The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live)

Notch (Creator of Minecraft)

(Most Subscirbed gaming channel on Youtube)

Robert Pattinson (from Twilight)

Edited by Ice

Stephen Colbert isn't a brony, he just merely mentioned them to get some laughs, and he most definately isn't from Saturday Night Live, he came from The Daily Show, featuring Jon Stewert and Stephen Colbert (Name of the show at the time, now it's just "The Daily Show)

Trust me, I'm a Colbert fan, :P

Edited by Scootaloo

Stephen Colbert isn't a brony, he just merely mentioned them to get some laughs, and he most definately isn't from Saturday Night Live, he came from The Daily Show, featuring Jon Stewert and Stephen Colbert (Name of the show at the time, now it's just "The Daily Show)

Trust me, I'm a Colbert fan, :P

Thanks, but he's probably the most famous of the people who have mentioned MLP, I'll edit it, but not take it out :P

• Brohoof 1

Thanks, but he's probably the most famous of the people who have mentioned MLP, I'll edit it, but not take it out :P

It was really more of a shoutout to the people who watch mlp, not to the show itself... but if you follow both of his twitters, you find he makes a bit of a laugh out of some of his shout outs.... like Herman Cain for example.

• Brohoof 1

The show;s humor is what makes it for me. As you said, it had alot of jokes in there that I found funny, and the characters just seem to have alot of personality other than most cartoons I see nowadays.

The show;s humor is what makes it for me. As you said, it had alot of jokes in there that I found funny, and the characters just seem to have alot of personality other than most cartoons I see nowadays.

I agree, the characterization within the show is really well done which makes it easy for fans to relate to any of the characters portrayed throughout the show. I found that the diversity and sense of an open minded place made it interesting to watch from my standpoint.

This is a really good post and all, but Derpy's a 'she', not a 'he'. When she says 'Muffins', she clearly has a female voice.

I can almost guarantee that Mick Foley is a Brony too.

Edited by SBaby

Pretty much hit all the nails on the head as to why I watch it.

Just all the cuteness, bright colors, and jokes perfectly blended with greatly likeable characters makes me feel so cozy inside, like I'm a wee youngin' again. :D

Besides, sometimes you just need a break from the curse words, violence, and naughty acts the media pumps out today. :P

I consider myself a semi-bronie because unlike a bronie ,semi-bronies are not that big of a fan of my little pony. to be honest i like anime more than my little pony because i cant resists to miss a anime. And if theres a game of a anime then you know i am not going to let go of the controller.