Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hipsters

Elric

I find it strange that anyone who does not conform to popular media or likes to have their own style, are called "Hipsters". Maybe they have their own style of clothing, or listen to some obscure bands, or have "weird" hobbies unheard of or uncommon. Someone that has a collection of nik-naks in his room.Furthermore, I find it disturbing that these "Hipsters" have such a negative image in our society today. Just think about it, has anyone been called a hipster in a good connotation? Hipsters when talked about come across as someone who does not like anything mainstream, and act like jerks because of it pointing out that everything is mainstream. First of all, I have never actually heard anyone who actually likes obscure things along with having their own style complain that the music someone listens to is "too mainstream". Urbandictionary.com describes hipsters as :

Such people are the true "cool cats" of the world. They're those "in the know", ahead of the norm.

To sum it up, the best description of a hipster is trend-setter or someone who likes to think cleverly.

Looking at it from this standpoint, famous inventors or developers could be considered hipsters. Examples? Bill Gates, Leonardo da Vinci, Steve Jobs, Myamoto.

Hipsters are not in any way a bad thing in our society, in fact through out our history hipsters is what changes our society for the better. Without Hipsters, I would say that our society and history would not be the same. So, I don't think that these people who like to have their own style and think cleverly are someone that is annoying, but I think we actually need these people in our society. Hipsters shape our society because of the fact that they do not conform to society or media.

Have I been called a hipster? Yea, plenty of times. It doesn't bother me, its just the image that the society has on them.

---

What are your opinions on Hipsters?

I don't think hipsters are trend-setters... but I think of them as the scum who claim "They've done it first, before it was popular"

it just means there was a point where they jumped on the bandwagon before everyone else did, and now they're mad what they liked has become widespread, so they feel the need to complain about it...

again, not trend-setters... I think I'd call them rabid sheep, since they follow the flock still, but get mad when they're "part of the group"

I don't think hipsters are trend-setters... but I think of them as the scum who claim "They've done it first, before it was popular"

it just means there was a point where they jumped on the bandwagon before everyone else did, and now they're mad what they liked has become widespread, so they feel the need to complain about it...

again, not trend-setters... I think I'd call them rabid sheep, since they follow the flock still, but get mad when they're "part of the group"

How can they follow the flock if they did something before everyone else?

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind if people do odd things. It's none of my business. But they should keep it to themselves if it isn't worth sharing.

I don't even know what's mainstream right now.

Thanks, you cleared a lot up for me.

How can they follow the flock if they did something before everyone else?

I said they hopped on the bandwagon before their favourite thing became mainstream, usually doing something because their friends are doing it, but it isn't popular... They probably have seen one of their "icons" or someone they look up to doing something of the sort, so they tried it out.. So evidently, they never "started" it, they're just doing what their friends or icons do... which is "following"

Thanks, you cleared a lot up for me.

It's just my opinion, I hope it didn't offend you in any way.

I said they hopped on the bandwagon before their favourite thing became mainstream, usually doing something because their friends are doing it, but it isn't popular... They probably have seen one of their "icons" or someone they look up to doing something of the sort, so they tried it out.. So evidently, they never "started" it, they're just doing what their friends or icons do... which is "following"

And what if that wasn't the case?

And what if that wasn't the case?

It's a little more difficult for One person to start a trend... not impossible, but a lot less probable than a group starting a trend

But, if that scenario happened, than the person started a trend, and shouldn't whine about others doing it, if they did it originally... It's the same thing as bragging, only much more annoying... Instead of saying "HAH! I STARTED THAT TREND!" They're like "Wah, I used to do that before it was cool, now EVERYONE is doing it!"

When most people catch word of the the term hipster, they always assume that god awful negative stereotype:

Posted Image

Here's a quick history lesson.

In a nutshell, hipster culture can be defined as a mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behaviours. They've been around since the 1940's, back when the word 'hip' first began being used as a slang term to describe individuals who were very knowledgeable of the growing Jazz scene.

Todays hipsters however, seem to be interpreted differently, where everything about them is exactingly constructed to give off the vibe that they just don't care. This wasn't the case up until around 2009 when Time Magazine shined a negative light on the culture.

"take your grandmother's sweater and Bob Dylan's Wayfarers, add jean shorts, Converse All-Stars and a can of Pabst and bam — hipster."

After that, Time Out New York, The Huffington Post, The New York Times and a whole bunch of others jumped on the hipster hate bandwagon, and built up this allmost cynical categorisation, which was recently amplified thanks to it's presence on the internet. Now of course there are plenty of hipsters this fit this bill entirely, but nowhere near as many as there's made out to be.

I'm not a hipster myself, that's for sure, but I do think that people are a bit overly biased when it comes to what constitutes the culture.

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 2

I am not a hipster but I do get annoyed sometimes when people suddenly go crazy for some fad or person and they only like it just because it's popular, especially if it's something/someone I liked before, for other reasons... For example I liked Johnny Depp from 21 Jump Street and Edward Scissorhands but when suddenly everyone was drooling over him because of Pirates it was annoying (not that I was a fangirl or anything). Same thing with Elijah Wood, I liked his earlier movies (when he was a kid) but then suddenly LOTR came up and everyone was irritatingly crazy about him and I just found it grating.

But yeah I am definitely NOT a trendsetter and would prefer that the things I like not get "trendy" ever... If they do though I DON'T generally go around making comments about how I liked it before it was "cool" -- I just shrug and try to ignore it...

The only plus to things getting trendy is that they might be more available, like the upsurge of Invader Zim and Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise can be nice even though it is a bit annoying (for example it's annoying how half the stuff has "quotes" that aren't even from the show/movie, or things that don't make sense.)

If it's an actor or something though that can get annoying because once they are popular they often start taking lame roles for the money or the popularity.

Edited by Neko-Chan

I find them... hip. [awesomeface]

I dislike labels with a passion, I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to call someone names. Categorization is okay, but labeling is an extreme form of that.

So I'm not going out of my way to express an opinion on a concept I don't even believe in.

Following someone equals jumping on the bandwagon? Even if it's a very small group of people, or one single person you look up to?

Even if you actually like what they do, and not because it's done by that particular group/person? I often do that, you know. Does that make me a hipster in the negative sense?

Edited by Feather Spiral

I don't know I guess I am a little bit like a hipster, but I was a hipster before it was cool...I don't do strange/odd/weird things just for the sake of it, I do it because I have freedom of choice in what I do, I tend to like a lot of stuff a lot of people don't MLP is one of them ... I guess we all have a little hipster in us, we watch a "childrens" show aimed at girls when MOST people here are 13+, male and watch a "girls" show..

Edited by Flare

I find them... hip. [awesomeface]

I dislike labels with a passion, I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to call someone names. Categorization is okay, but labeling is an extreme form of that.

So I'm not going out of my way to express an opinion on a concept I don't even believe in.

Following someone equals jumping on the bandwagon? Even if it's a very small group of people, or one single person you look up to?

Doing something because your friends do it is following what they do, no matter how small the group... unless you are the one who started the trend... then you're the horse pulling the cart... or something

It's not bad to do what your friends do, that's how you evolve as a human being, in accepting something new that your group of friends have embraced, expanding your mind... it's all a good thing.

Even if you actually like what they do, and not because it's done by that particular group/person? I often do that, you know. Does that make me a hipster in the negative sense?

If I understand what you mean correctly, you're saying if you like doing what you and your friends do, and you wanna know if that makes you hipster... No, it doesn't... It just makes you someone who has done it first.

Hipsters are the people who did it first, then whine and complain that other people are following what they did, which further expands everyone's minds in that area... They started something, and now they're upset that everyone else is trying it...

If my theory on hipsters is correct, it means that they are semi-openminded people, who want to live in the closed minded world... they wanna be labeled as the "weird" one, or the one who is different.

There's nothing wrong with being unique... but there is something wrong with always going out of your way to be labeled as unique just for the attention... just be yourself, and everyone will notice you're not the same person as everyone else....

These are just my opinions on the matter...

Edited by Scootaloo

am i a hipster if i listen to obscure artists the majority has never, ever heard of? or collect vinyls?

though seriously i consider myself to be one of the black sheeps of the herd.

Posted Image

Posted Image

you sirs i hereby declare the winners of this thread.
  • Brohoof 1