Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Avatar: TLA - Iroh vs Ozai - Who would win?

TotallyNotNyx

While I would say that Ozai does seem to be portrayed as more powerful in the series, Iroh does seem to be holding back a lot of the time. So I'm interested to see other people views on who would win in a fight?

• Brohoof 3

I know Ozai’s powerful, but just look at Best Uncle:

Spoiler

PnveAPdbMC0kbhT1_q9_sRZn3jf2ENCcVF9-HAye
He might also be able to outmaneuver Ozai in some way. Although, despite my loyalty to Iroh, it’s also possible that Ozai was so powerful that only the Avatar could stand a chance, as we’re led to believe by the show.

;)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I know Ozai’s powerful, but just look at Best Uncle:

Hide contents

PnveAPdbMC0kbhT1_q9_sRZn3jf2ENCcVF9-HAye
He might also be able to outmaneuver Ozai in some way. Although, despite my loyalty to Iroh, it’s also possible that Ozai was so powerful that only the Avatar could stand a chance, as we’re led to believe by the show.

;)

True, I feel like the show over-hyped Ozai to make him look like a worthy villain. But I like to think that Iroh is like Zuko. He's pretty powerful but he's overshadowed by his younger sibling, just as Zuko is weaker than Azula. Despite Zuko becoming a pretty strong fire-bender by the end of the series, Azula is still more powerful.

Furthermore, Iroh would hesitate to kill his brother while Ozai would have no such hesitation, which does put Iroh at an disadvantages. 

Edited by Princess of Luck 🍀⚡🔥
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sizing both of them up, i suppose the winner would be.......the one that breathes fire! And still has his bending to boot.

Edited by ggg-2

I think Ozai suffers from the same bending restraints Zuko originally had, in relying on his own physical strength rather than harnessing his energy from within. Without a doubt, Ozai is a powerful bender, but he lacks the experience and knowledge of Iroh, and I think could be beaten by Azula given that she's perfected her form. Iroh has also proven himself to be fully capable of fighting without bending, and surprises many of his opponents by being more nimble than expected, but his old age could still serve as a hindrance against his younger brother. In some sense, it'd be like a hawk fighting a bear. Ozai can move about and strike repeatedly, but he'd never manage to unbalance Iroh who could take him down instantly, if he manages to make contact.

I'm on season 2 and could have a more definitive answer once I finish the series, but for right now despite Iroh having clear advantages, it's closer than most would think.

5 hours ago, SharpWit said:

I think Ozai suffers from the same bending restraints Zuko originally had, in relying on his own physical strength rather than harnessing his energy from within. Without a doubt, Ozai is a powerful bender, but he lacks the experience and knowledge of Iroh, and I think could be beaten by Azula given that she's perfected her form. Iroh has also proven himself to be fully capable of fighting without bending, and surprises many of his opponents by being more nimble than expected, but his old age could still serve as a hindrance against his younger brother. In some sense, it'd be like a hawk fighting a bear. Ozai can move about and strike repeatedly, but he'd never manage to unbalance Iroh who could take him down instantly, if he manages to make contact.

I'm on season 2 and could have a more definitive answer once I finish the series, but for right now despite Iroh having clear advantages, it's closer than most would think.

The thing is that Iroh isn’t even that much older than Ozai. I would say max 10 years different but the age gap looks like 30 years. After the death of his son, Iroh ages rapidly while Ozai looks the same as ever.

6 hours ago, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

The thing is that Iroh isn’t even that much older than Ozai. I would say max 10 years different but the age gap looks like 30 years. After the death of his son, Iroh ages rapidly while Ozai looks the same as ever.

Really? I thought it was closer to a 20 year age gap. Stress and depression can make you age faster sure, but Iroh seems pretty much content with life no matter which way it turns on him and has the whole inner peace thing and direct control of his chi or whatever. Meanwhile, Ozai looks like he's still in the prime of his life.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
47 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Really? I thought it was closer to a 20 year age gap. Stress and depression can make you age faster sure, but Iroh seems pretty much content with life no matter which way it turns on him and has the whole inner peace thing and direct control of his chi or whatever. Meanwhile, Ozai looks like he's still in the prime of his life.

The Fire nation family tree time line was one of the things that was really messed up bu the show. It makes no sense at all so it’s really hard to tell people’s real ages. But thing is I’ve heard that one of the books or comics talked about ozai and Iroh growing up together and being rivals while growing up. That would indicate that they were pretty close in age, at least less than 10 years different.

586F488E-6A9D-4A96-BCF6-77CF0D6A77F2.thumb.png.397304efd3fba2c6b75545e6632bacca.png

Like this makes them look like they were only a few years different in age.

Iroh is content now, but it took him a while of travelling around the world to really come to the realisation that there is more to life than power. Over that time his hair went from brown to white really quickly despite the period of time being at most a couple of years. Ozai however looks exactly the same as he did back then.

Edited by Princess of Luck 🍀⚡🔥
  • Brohoof 1

Iroh, he's always more calm and collected, and he's in more control over his firebending, whereas Ozai, despite probably being stronger in terms of raw strength, uses a more unstable from of Firebending, fueled by rage

It's pretty much the same as Zuko vs Azula, a showdown that Zuko most likely would have won had Azula not tried to get a cheap shot at Katara

• Brohoof 1

I'm quite confident that Iroh could hand Ozai's ass to him on a silver platter.

However he doesn't because it wouldn't be right for honor or succession. He explicitly states this at some point, if I recall: if it was brother against brother, it would just be more infighting within the Fire Nation.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Blue said:

I'm quite confident that Iroh could hand Ozai's ass to him on a silver platter.

However he doesn't because it wouldn't be right for honor or succession. He explicitly states this at some point, if I recall: if it was brother against brother, it would just be more infighting within the Fire Nation.

True, but in the same speech he said that he wasn't sure that he could defeat Ozai