web Should 4chan and KiwiFarms be banned?

OG CHUCK

I don't think they should be shut down, however there needs to be more open discussion about Kiwifarms in particular.

Most people know how terrible the chan websites are. Very little moderation which allows some pretty heinous stuff get through, which inevitably allows the dregs of society to take over through sheer harassment, and the fact that normal people don't like being surrounded by cynical negativity all the time. Kiwifarms is a little different, but possibly even worse. This website is infested with people who are just completely obsessed with online personalities that they don't like. These personalities are dubbed "lolcows" and have threads made about them documenting their behavior and past. Kiwifarms, like the chan sites, also has very lax moderation, so you can imagine the types of people this brings in. Due to the right-leaning skew of people, the personalities that are targeted and talked about at length are left-leaning ones. Granted for good reason, because calling out bad actors is important, but that's not the point of the website. What every single lolcow thread devolves into is just mindless hatred for the person in question.

In conclusion, fuck channers and kiwifarmers; both these groups need to seek a mental health facility.

• Brohoof 2

JustJustaMonika.jpg.57d7eb45565d778a5fe909145eda2385.jpgMonika

On 2020-07-02 at 5:37 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

Glad all the comments replying have been anti-censorship so far, keep this train rolling. I have never been a fan of either despite visiting them both on odd occasions, but those sites are not the problem, the people using them are the ones who cause the problems. Let the bad man have his opinion, let the bad man be punished for his actions, better to live and let be than give bad men power to intrude on everyone's lives. :mlp_xJpg51C:

I feel that what the me from a year ago said is more correct than ever now, considering how much worse censorship online has gotten in such a short amount of time, sadly. :maud:

No, despite my personal dislike of these sites. If we were to allow sites to be taken down because of distaste it creates a precedent for further shutdowns. They'd just move elsewhere anyways, the platforms aren't the inherent issue.

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I feel that what the me from a year ago said is more correct than ever now, considering how much worse censorship online has gotten in such a short amount of time, sadly. :maud:

yeah, like right now, I'm already having to keep paying for a VPN because websites are getting banned really arbitrarily nowadays,
and sadly censorship isn't just a part of the digital domain, even most "free" countries have laws now that restrict your speech

On 2020-07-03 at 4:44 PM, Sunstreaker said:

I mean, unless they do something blatantly illegal(and believe me, they're always pushing that boundry, and probably passed it on a few occasions), but even then there are some lines even 4chan wouldn't cross. Remember, 8chan existed for users that were too much for even 4chan themselves

A year later and I still stand by this take

• Brohoof 1

I don’t know much about them, but banning, censoring, silencing and cancelling everything isn’t the one patented answer to all problems. If there’s something genuinely illegal going on they can be censured accordingly. Otherwise people can say and do what they want. There used to be such a thing as freedom in the world. And even though I doubt I’d like what goes on with some of these sites, it doesn’t mean they should be erased. There’s plenty of crap in the world that would serve the greater good if it were banned but there has to be a legal reason for doing so.

• Brohoof 1