Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia and Novo

ManaMinori

What’s the relationship between these two? For the longest time I have been wondering? Queen Novo is apparently the first one Celestia thought to seek help from in the midst of a crisis, rather than the rest of Equestria’s allies- the dragons, yaks, griffons, ect. And during the credits, we see Celestia and Novo bowing formally before informally nuzzling necks. So what is the deal? What is their relationship?

• Brohoof 1

The irl answer is we needed to introduce some Hippogriffs to sell more toys.

The show answer I think would be that with Equestria's isolationist policies prior to Luna's return, there weren't many nations to seek aid from. I'd bet that most of Equestria's history with Griffonstone was adversarial as it had been with the Dragons. While relations had begun improving, they may not have been to a level where military assistance would be appropriate to ask for. The Yaks on the other hoof would be ineffective allies, for their strength is ground bound.

Celestia may have had previous relations with Queen Novo, one of mentorship I would presume given her age. Despite this past affection, Queen Novo had her own people to think about now, and it's certainly alarming that Celestia was unaware of the Storm land's invasions and subsequent occupations that went on for some years until they were at her doorstep.

Queen Novo knew full well she couldn't really help in any practical way. She'd already suffered a defeat at this enemy, being forced to abandon Mt.Aris. Celestia's and Equestria's superior armed forces being subdued on top of that made jumping back into the fight out of the question.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Gale Wind said:

The behind the scenes reason is that it was written in season 4, and the other races weren’t as prominent yet. 

Was the movie written during season 4? You sure about that? :wau: