Jump to content
Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Anyone see Blu ray season releases happening anytime soon?


Recommended Posts

I am a little disappointed that Shout Factory stopped at season 7, but I hope there is some other company out there that can pick up the pace in the future.

I am sure this has already been said before, but I want the whole show, plus any specials and spinoffs on Blu ray.

I am sorta coming to light and realizing that yes, DVD is sorta obsolete at this point in time, considering it is only 480p, if I am not mistaken.

Although, maybe I should not hold my breath too much on this, considering this is a Hasbro cartoon to sell toys, and the target audience is young girls.

But, how many parents still use DVDs over Blu rays to put on cartoons for their kids?

Since I know every single episode is encoded and upscaled by the fans, I can possibly wait a few more years or so before another company decides to make a release that panders to the fandom.

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites


Register now to remove this ad.
3 hours ago, SUPERFOX5 said:

But, how many parents still use DVDs over Blu rays to put on cartoons for their kids?

I think at this point they probably use streaming services and video-on-demand instead. Physical media in general is on its way to fading from the mainstream. If parents do use discs, I would presume they're DVDs: DVDs are cheaper, most TV cartoons are only released on DVD, and little kids are probably not that picky about video quality. 

TV shows just aren't guaranteed to get a Blu-ray release the way that movies are. A cursory glance at blu-ray.com tells me that even Adventure Time hasn't gotten blu-rays past its sixth season, and many other cartoons don't even have that.  Who knows, maybe there will be a huge Blu-ray boom in the near future and even shows for small children like My Little Pony will be released on high-definition optical discs. But I suspect the audience who would buy such things is fairly small. 

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I think at this point they probably use streaming services and video-on-demand instead. Physical media in general is on its way to fading from the mainstream. If parents do use discs, I would presume they're DVDs: DVDs are cheaper, most TV cartoons are only released on DVD, and little kids are probably not that picky about video quality. 

TV shows just aren't guaranteed to get a Blu-ray release the way that movies are. A cursory glance at blu-ray.com tells me that even Adventure Time hasn't gotten blu-rays past its sixth season, and many other cartoons don't even have that.  Who knows, maybe there will be a huge Blu-ray boom in the near future and even shows for small children like My Little Pony will be released on high-definition optical discs. But I suspect the audience who would buy such things is fairly small. 

I am a little disappointed that streaming is sorta taking over, but at the same time, streaming IS convenient.

I will usually prefer physical DVD and Blu-ray, due to the fact that Netflix and Disney Plus doesn't really have bonus features, and that is a shame.

Plus, licenses can always run out and movies and shows get removed and rotated all the time. Copyright is really a pain.

And I hope you are right about Blu-ray having a big boom in the coming years, maybe it might totally replace DVD as a format, but I probably should not get too ahead of myself, since there are lots of material from the past that was not made for 1080p upscaling.

I am just really glad the fans pick up the ball when the parent company, Hasbro doesn't even care for the fandom market that much when it comes to DVD and Blu-ray sales.

  • Brohoof 1
  • teacup 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we could get at least a boxset and a final song album because most of the latter songs never managed to get an album. Even seeing that will be a nice reminder that they still care. :(

  • Hug 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Adventure Time hasn't gotten blu-rays past its sixth season

It did in Australia, which I got. :eager:

Streaming is inferior because the bit rate is low. Even if it says HD, it is highly compressed. I wish companies would have a way to preorder Blurays. Like if they get enough preorders to do a print run.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could maybe see a limited time blu-ray set one day, but even that is up in the air. It honestly kinda stuns me that they never once even considered the idea. Even with streaming now being dominant, certain physical media can fly off the shelves in different fanbases. 

I got it: Have the entire cast sign every single copy of the collection. Boom, would fly off the shelves so fast that it would break the sound barrier. 

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SUPERFOX5 said:

Plus, licenses can always run out and movies and shows get removed and rotated all the time. Copyright is really a pain.

I find myself streaming more often than buying discs, but this is maybe the biggest reason I haven't given up on physical media entirely. 

6 hours ago, SUPERFOX5 said:

I will usually prefer physical DVD and Blu-ray, due to the fact that Netflix and Disney Plus doesn't really have bonus features, and that is a shame.

You know, I always think that, and then I don't watch the bonus features. I'm still interested in special editions though because I like the box art.  

1 hour ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

It did in Australia, which I got. :eager:

I had a feeling that database wasn't giving me the whole picture...

1 hour ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

Streaming is inferior because the bit rate is low. Even if it says HD, it is highly compressed. 

Yeah, I stream most of my movies and TV right now just because it's cheap and convenient, but I still buy Blu-rays for the best picture. Plus they don't rely on my inconsistent internet connection...

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Blu Ray is more and more becoming an outdated medium. It's understandable that they don't have the full collection available, especially since the sales on something like that probably wouldn't recoup production costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Harmonic Revelations said:

sales on something like that probably wouldn't recoup production costs.

Burn on demand. I would pay the extra cost.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

Burn on demand. I would pay the extra cost.

There's plenty of custom print shops around that do Blu Rays, the trouble would be the legality of it is questionable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...