Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia and Luna origins explained?

ManaMinori

While watching “Between Dark and Dawn”, I got to thinking about some things. For many years, people in the fandom have wondered and speculated about the origins of Celestia and Luna. We’re they born alicorns? Did they start life as Pegasi, unicorns, or earth ponies? To this day, these questions remain unanswered…or have they really been explained and put in plain sight? 

In the episode “Between Dark and Dawn”, Tyne royal sisters leave a detailed list for the mane 6 on how to prepare for the royal swanifying ceremony - which is a celebration of all the swans in the royal lake. They are to be rounded up, paraded around the city, and the celebration finished up with a party in Canterlot Castle. To this, Rainbow Dash asks “why.?!” There is even a royal swanjfying committee. 

But as Tainbow asked- why? My guess is that Celestia and Luna originated from swans that were turned into alicorns. This is the reason why there is so much importance given to the swans, who are given a city parade and a royal party in the castle. Celestia and Luna DO look an awful lot like swans, after all! 

Edited by ManaMinori

I personally find that a bit silly, but I also never subscribed to the theory of them not being born alicorns either. In my eyes they were always born alicorns, just not originating from Equestria. They had alicorn parents who were among a pantheon of gods, now all lost to time. 

Edited by Starforce

Oooof I love the speculation. I will definitely be following this conversation c:

Personally, I'd imagine they were always alicorns due to the legendary status of moon and sun c:
but that's just me.

• Brohoof 1

In 'The Journal of the Two Sisters' it is heavily implied that they were not only born Alicorns, but were part of a race of a whole race of Alicorns.  It mentions that Alicorns age differently the other pony races but never says what, if anything, happened to the other Alicorns.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Star Silk said:

Oooof I love the speculation. I will definitely be following this conversation c:

Personally, I'd imagine they were always alicorns due to the legendary status of moon and sun c:
but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

In 'The Journal of the Two Sisters' it is heavily implied that they were not only born Alicorns, but were part of a race of a whole race of Alicorns.  It mentions that Alicorns age differently the other pony races but never says what, if anything, happened to the other Alicorns.

The princesses were surprised that Flurry Heart was born an alicorn though. That could be an inconsistency with the show. Or it could mean that, like Twilight, Celestia, Luna, and Cadence had to earn their place as princesses and thus were transformed into alicorns. Flurry Heart just happened to be the exception. 

It's also possible that the Royal Sisters were born alicorns. Thousands of years ago, there could have been a whole entire civilization of alicorns, like @Concerned Bystander said.

2 minutes ago, Paleopony said:

The princesses were surprised that Flurry Heart was born an alicorn though. That could be an inconsistency with the show. Or it could mean that, like Twilight, Celestia, Luna, and Cadence had to earn their place as princesses and thus were transformed into alicorns. Flurry Heart just happened to be the exception.

I don't think 'The Journal of the Two Sisters' is canon in the strictest sense, but it is an official publication and was written by Amy Keating Rogers, so I guess that it's a reasonable resource as long as it doesn't contradict anything established within the cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Paleopony said:

The princesses were surprised that Flurry Heart was born an alicorn though

This is a very good point, actually. My counter was going to be "but Shining armor isn't alicorn so perhaps that's the shocker --" yet... I don't think male alicorns exist... :D So yeah you're right

• Brohoof 1