Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna is more powerful than Celestia

Evelyn Light

Everyone loves to use Nightmare Moon from the flashback and how she blasted Celestia as proof.... but Celestia was not giving it her all.... it was painfully apparent she was avoiding the fight, and with very good reason. That was her sister... it does not matter that it was Nightmare Moon... she did ot want to fight her or hurt her in anyway... she banished her as an absolute last resort. Until we see an actual fight with Celestia truly pissed off and giving it her all, I don't think it is possible to gauge her full power.

I also lately having been having head canons that she is far more powerful, knowledgeable and devious than she lets on, and she has went so far as to allow herself and others to be captured just to guarantee certain things happen certain ways at certain times. I have been thinking about that ever since I started rereading several of my novels where that is a plot device.

• Brohoof 1

In a fight I think both would be equal, no elements of harmony involved. We haven't seen Celestia fight full force in the show, so its also possible she could win.

Not sure where you can see she has the possibility of winning.

Not sure where you can see she has the possibility of winning.

There she couldn't win, because of the love of one single unicorn. This love of Shining Armor was so special that.......pfffffffffffff

They never grow tired to find reasons for Celestia's failure.....now even changeling drones are enough. As i said, Pipsqueak could beat her because reasons.

• Brohoof 1

There she couldn't win, because of the love of one single unicorn. This love of Shining Armor was so special that.......pfffffffffffff

They never grow tired to find reasons for Celestia's failure.....now even changeling drones are enough. As i said, Pipsqueak could beat her because reasons.

The next step would be for Celestia to directly cause her own defeat. Soon after, she'll be humiliated simply for existing.

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps Luna has an advantage in dreams as she might be able to attack unsuspecting enemies with nightmares, but in the journal, Luna admitted her sister is the better fighter of the two. Though it was left ambiguous whenever if Celly is overall more powerful, or Luna has more power, but Celly has more skills in combat :huh:

Celestia wasn't the one who got banished to the moon.

True, but Luna was kicking Celestia around the castle until she used the Magical MacGuffins to banish her.

I do agree though that everyone always tries to find some excuse for why Celestia loses fights.  Not sure why, since having her legitimately lose fights makes her character a bit more realistic.

Edited by SBaby

Assuming all things in Equestria are 1:1 to Earth...

Luna:

Her celestial charge is a lump of rock with a mass of 7.342×1022 with a mean density of 3.34 grams per centimeter. It lays at a distance of 360,000 km to 405,400 km. Relatively speaking too, it's a loosely packed ball of rock, sand, and ice with a gravitational force of 1.6 meters per second squared.

Celestia:

Her celestial charge is a fusion reactor 1.496×108 km distant from Equestria. It's a rudely dense object with a varying mass of (1.98855±0.00025)×1030 kg with a volume of 1.41×1018 km3. It's fucking radioactive as hell, easily emitting lethal levels of radiation at the distance it is from Equestria. And even under the protection of Equestria's Ionoshpere it can give living things cancer.

And unlike Luna who had control of her charge constantly since coronation, Celestia juggled both the Sun and Moon for thousands of years after Luna was sent to sit in the corner.

By just what she has to go through, put up with, and control every day: Celestia.

She's magically bench-pressing a metric ton while Luna is still lifting fifty pound weights.

Edited by AaronMk
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know for a fact that Luna is more powerful than Celestia. In the time traveling episode it shows that nightmare moon/luna have defeated her sister and had rule over equestria. We see that celestia even fear her sister when Sombra show her the vision, now this is a made up episode but for me it still counts.

Celestia has lost against both Chrysalis and Sombra. She's not that powerful. And those 1,000 years where spent in crying and wishing Luna was back, she says so. 

Luna on the other hand is way more powerful, she almost destroyed the world, three times. She has defeated Sombra, cut his head off. She would have defeated Chrysalis but that wasn't Hasbro plan. She's younger, faster, agile, stronger and even wise. Her ability to control dream and reality is on par with discord, although at a smaller scale. 

Seriously my fellow ponies. Luna win, hooves down. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2018 at 9:09 AM, Alphacat said:

I know for a fact that Luna is more powerful than Celestia. In the time traveling episode it shows that nightmare moon/luna have defeated her sister and had rule over equestria. We see that celestia even fear her sister when Sombra show her the vision, now this is a made up episode but for me it still counts.

If you want to count the time traveling you have to understand Celestia never wanted to hurt her sister- mean while as Nightmare Moon, she wanted to get rid of her sister by any means nessasary to force people to love her night.

Celestia has lost against both Chrysalis and Sombra. She's not that powerful. And those 1,000 years where spent in crying and wishing Luna was back, she says so. 

We never saw Luna nor nightmare moon face either of them. In fact Luna was later captured along side Celestia when Crysilis returned. So why are you using those examples? Also during those 1k years, Celestia was ruling over Equestria on her own raising both the sun and moon- that is a feat Lna can't claim and on top of that we know Clestia often physically pushed herself on the daily until she had double vision- which is horrible for her health and can eplain why she seemed weaker- or has actually gotten weaker over the years. 

Luna on the other hand is way more powerful, she almost destroyed the world, three times. She has defeated Sombra, cut his head off.

Nope, the show never showed or proved that, the world wouldn't have been destroied even during her rule as Nightmare Moon in that alt timeline. The world was heavily altered, lots of people threatened but not detroied. If you really want to count the Alter time lines, we don't know if she dealt with Sombra or if her victory over her sister was delayed long enough that Celestia dealt  with him OR if Chrysalis or Discord dealt with him. We just know she managed to defiantly defeat Celestia and trap her ruling Equestria on her own since then but we don't know how long it's been or what happened before or between that.

She would have defeated Chrysalis but that wasn't Hasbro plan.

Nope, any opportunities we had to show her fight Chrysalis never happened. Again, she was trapped by Chrisalis like her sister and never fought her on screen even once.

Her ability to control dream and reality is on par with discord, although at a smaller scale.

If it's on Par then it isn't on a smaller scale and the show never proved her warping reality. Dreams are fast, loose and of a literal other dimension that doesn't follow their normal world logic. Discord can and does easily alter their normal world to his pleasing/as needed. those are two completely different things.

The alternative timeline isnt the only prove that Nightmare Moon has capable of defeat Celestia. In S4 premiere, Nightmare Moon bested Celestia so easy if not for the Elements. I know Daybreaker is a dream but it could be Celestia in her ultimate form, the brighter the light the darker the shadow. Celestia might be weaker because she's soft person so she will never use her power to full potential. However, beware the nice one, you dont know when they pissed off, how scary they will be. People will cast away the possibilities of Daybreaker because it's just a Starlight dream but i personally believe her dream has been affected by Celestia's dream power and Daybreaker is Celestia's darker side that hide deep inside her heart somewhere, we will never know.

Honestly I wished Luna really is more powerful than Celestia.
Or at least truly equals with her in terms of power and such.

Its just aggravating in seeing Luna happens to be weaker than Celestia or Celestia ends up overshadowing Luna in terms of stuff.
So seeing stuff like in the Journal of Luna mentioning on how Celestia is more skilled than her or how it looks like Daybreaker beaten Nightmare Moon in Starlight's dream is just frustrating to see for me.

• 3 years later...

I believe that Luna is more powerful than Celestia. Princess Luna is the princess of the night. so she might be able to control the stars. which are just distant suns. meaning, she might be able to raise and lower the sun if she wanted to, along with the moon and stars.

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, Flurry Heart of love said:

I believe that Luna is more powerful than Celestia. Princess Luna is the princess of the night. so she might be able to control the stars. which are just distant suns. meaning, she might be able to raise and lower the sun if she wanted to, along with the moon and stars.

Wait, I thought that stars were just cutouts in the blanket that Luna put over the sky every night. Mind. Blown.

And yeah, I agree that Luna is more powerful. But I wpuld argue that's it's only because Celestia controls and restrains her own power too much (ref: see Daybreaker). So at normal levels, Luna taps more of her power thus is stronger, but Celestia would have a higher power cap.