Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna is more powerful than Celestia

Evelyn Light

Honestly i feel that Luna is more powerful than celestia. I know both the alicorns are powerful, but look at what the fight and defeat. Celestia guides others to defeat physical enemies where as Luna battles and defeats other ponies fear. I feel that takes much more strength to pull a pony away from fear and away from their own darkness than to just beat someone up.

What do you guys think? Who is more powerful, Luna or Celestia?

• Brohoof 1

i fell that there is a lot of bias from fan created character development, they are roughly the same but celestia as an older sister is stronger, luna gave into to selfishness and tried to disrupt harmony in equestria, this is a show of not a difference in physical but in mental strength. magic wise they are probably on par

• Brohoof 4

Well, I would say that the opposite is true, considering that Celestia actually beat Luna in a fight once. 

we know Celestia is more emotionally stable, and that she used the elements to defeat Luna.

It is very possible that Luna could be more powerful than Celestia.  

however, we just don't have enough information to say definitively either way.  

we know Celestia is more emotionally stable, and that she used the elements to defeat Luna.

It is very possible that Luna could be more powerful than Celestia.  

however, we just don't have enough information to say definitively either way.  

Well, I would say that the opposite is true, considering that Celestia actually beat Luna in a fight once. 

that's cause for debate lol XD (dw celestia is my waifu, im on your side)

celestia had to use the power of the elements of harmony (debate over. no lengthy argument plz XD) in saying that she probably had to because luna was full of hateful magic.. which is some pretty strong stuff as we have seen. but the power of love prevails :L

That is true, but it wasn't just Celestia. Celestia need the EoH to defeat Luna.

not luna XP nightmare moon, and the show even says he heart was filled with bitterness :/ to defeat her magic plus the evil magic without hurting her because celestia cant use the EoH to reform she used them to banish her :P its not even fighting if you think about it.. also we saw in the season 5 finale that celestia would have lost if it wasn't for the EoH so its a valid point but because luna was nightmare moon a base power difference has to be ruled out thus making it invalid DX

Edited by Ju88snow
  • Brohoof 1

Luna/Nightmare Moon almost beat Celestia with her magical power and still had magic left over, Celestia was out of power and was lucky she had the EoH behind her. One could argue that Luna's power was being bolstered by Nightmare Moon but I disagree.

I'd say Celestia and Luna are equal to each other in terms of magical power. The reason I think Celestia defeated Luna/Nightmare Moon was a combination of story, plot convenience, and standard fantasy rhetoric where light must defeat dark in the end.

• Brohoof 1

No.

^that is pretty much my answer, but i need to write at least 20 characters. So let's write this one out.

I believe they are on equal level. Like a magnet with two equally strong sides, they represent the Jing and Jang of the world. Just as the earth is bright and lighted, when the sun shines on it, it is equally dark, when the sun does not. It is just, through hate and anger you release alot more of your power. Celestia just didn't want to. Nightmare Moon wanted to kill. You think Celestia wants that? The consequeces would be too high.
I'd like to repeat what Moliminous said in one of his videos. +Plus, this was my theory before i watched it, only he brought evidence to it.

I believe, both of them are so strong, that if they were to really unrestrictedly fight at full power, the whole planet were to be completely evaporated. Which is why they hold back. Or at least celestia did.

If you look at them today, they're both equally useless. 

And i think, as they both represent the two opposite poles of existence, positive and negative, they are both equally strong.

Edited by FizzyGreen
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think there's definite evidence either way. We haven't seen either of them taking part in that many battles, so we can't really compare them directly like "okay, Celestia beat character X, but Luna didn't, but Luna beat character Y, who had beaten X before, and they both fought character Z together..."

And anyway... What's the difference? It's one of those fire vs water debates. Fire can burn a man to death, but water can drown a man, so which is stronger? Celestia rules the day and Luna the night, so by my logic the powers they wield have to be somehow fundamentally different. Most likely they both can do something the other can't. And since Luna's return, she seems to be perfectly content letting Celestia take the center stage, so it doesn't seem likely it will be relevant anytime soon.

They are both pretty equal in power I would imagine for the most part. But I still suspect Celestia is stronger if they did have a true all out no holds barred fight.

Before, Luna had the power and influence of NM on her side, and Celestia did NOT want to fight her sister. There was no actual fight.

Luna seems to have shown to have more spells and she has her Nightmare Moon form. Luna was having the advantage against Celestia before Celestia used the EoH. Now that Celestia can't use the EoH so lot of favor lie with Luna.

Heck she was able to conjure the Tantabus which was meant to bind her to her guilt but instead it became an unstoppable force. Luna has shown to have more feats than Celestia so far.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Luna's feats

-Can turn into a black mist and travel effortlessly around. Don't think even the plunder vines can catch her in an ethereal state

-Can cast lightning bolts

-Can create shadow clones and can do shapeshifting like turning into a thorn

-Has been beating Celestia down while Celestia was running away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy7jyw7WABw

-Nightmare Moon form

-Can create the Tantabus which was meant to bind her but was an unstoppable force

-She seems to have some kind of influence on the weather like a pegasus as seen in that Halloween episode

-She has enough strength to shatter stones by just causing a shockwave with her hooves.

-She can enter dreams to discover one's weaknesses, nightmares

-She was able to conquer Canterlot, brought eternal darkness and no doubt there wasn't Celestia around at the throne which would imply if there was no EoH or the mane six reaching their destiny to stop her, Luna would take over Equestria and Celestia couldn't do anything about it.

• Brohoof 2

My headcannon on the subject is that they are both equally powerful. Luna has definitely had more time to showcase her power throughout the series, whereas Celestia has not. My hope is that we will one day have a Celestia focused episode. Perhaps in Season 7  :sunbutt:

Luna's feats

-Can turn into a black mist and travel effortlessly around. Don't think even the plunder vines can catch her in an ethereal state

-Can cast lightning bolts

-Can create shadow clones and can do shapeshifting like turning into a thorn

-Has been beating Celestia down while Celestia was running away

-Nightmare Moon form

-Can create the Tantabus which was meant to bind her but was an unstoppable force

-She seems to have some kind of influence on the weather like a pegasus as seen in that Halloween episode

-She has enough strength to shatter stones by just causing a shockwave with her hooves.

-She can enter dreams to discover one's weaknesses, nightmares

-She was able to conquer Canterlot, brought eternal darkness and no doubt there wasn't Celestia around at the throne which would imply if there was no EoH or the mane six reaching their destiny to stop her, Luna would take over Equestria and Celestia couldn't do anything about it.

Nightmare Moon may be stronger than Celestia, but I have seen no proof that Luna has these same abilities and is as strong as Nightmare Moon. You think if Luna could turn into Mist, Then she should have been able to escape the vines. Therefore I still don't see them as the same exactly person. When Luna is Luna and Celestia is Celestia. They should be Equal. And who is to say that Celestia couldn't be Corrupted, As I like to call it, and have some other "form" Where she has more magical abilities and more strength. We don't have proper insight into what Celestia can do. So I still stand firmly on the I can't make a proper judgment until I learn more about Celestia.

• Brohoof 1

Nightmare Moon may be stronger than Celestia, but I have seen no proof that Luna has these same abilities and is as strong as Nightmare Moon. You think if Luna could turn into Mist, Then she should have been able to escape the vines. Therefore I still don't see them as the same exactly person. When Luna is Luna and Celestia is Celestia. They should be Equal. And who is to say that Celestia couldn't be Corrupted, As I like to call it, and have some other "form" Where she has more magical abilities and more strength. We don't have proper insight into what Celestia can do. So I still stand firmly on the I can't make a proper judgment until I learn more about Celestia.

Nightmare Moon is Luna and Luna is Nightmare Moon. Why else would Luna repent on her actions and what she did as Nightmare Moon? "Who is to say Celestia couldn't be Corrupted?" Well currently she hasn't so... yeah so far Luna has shown to have stronger traits. 

Don't have proper insight into what Celestia can do? She's been around just as long as Luna has yet, she had just the same amount of time to have something. What if she's just a political ruler? That's like saying we don't have proper insight into what Mayor Mare can do.

Nightmare Moon is Luna and Luna is Nightmare Moon. Why else would Luna repent on her actions and what she did as Nightmare Moon? "Who is to say Celestia couldn't be Corrupted?" Well currently she hasn't so... yeah so far Luna has shown to have stronger traits. 

Don't have proper insight into what Celestia can do? She's been around just as long as Luna has yet, she had just the same amount of time to have something. What if she's just a political ruler? That's like saying we don't have proper insight into what Mayor Mare can do.

You could be right, I won't deny that. Celestia could just be a Political Leader. However, I still don't see Luna as having the same strength as Nightmare Moon, Especially based off that fact she had been captured along with Celestia, Where If she used her "mist ability" she would have easily gotten away. Also I don't think we got as much insight into Celestia because there has never been a Celestia Centered Episode. Luna has gotten 2. Celestia has gotten 0. It's based off who the creators want to develop and personally when it comes down to the to characters most fans like Luna more than Celestia because she has a more complex personality and some people feel even sympathy for her. So it makes sense to give the character who people like more , more development. And possibly, in the end , they don't have a complex character for Celestia that hasn't been shown. With the Fact of Luna being more of a focus, out of the two sisters, they may have decided to make her nothing more than the political leader. But there is no solid proof of this.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we saw that, in a fight one on one, Luna, or Nightmare Moon would overpower her sister. At the very least, if Celestia was more powerful, why did she use the elements of harmony.

Also, Luna has extra powers, such as being able to connect an entire towns dreams, and go into others dreams.

So, Luna all the way

Of course she is. And so is Chrysalis, Cadance, Twilight, Starlight, Flurry Heart, Sombra and basically everyone else.

No Big deal.

Thank you, M.A. Larson, Meghan McCarthy, Big Jim, Josh Haber, IDW, Hasbro and Brony Fandom.

• Brohoof 1