Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Luna look different in Season 1? I also have a question about Luna's reformation.

DPBOX

It always struck me as odd that Luna looked so different during Season 1. Why did she look so different then? People might assume that it's a depowered form and she got weakened due to being Nightmare Moon for so long and getting hit by the rainbow beam and that her power would slowly regenerate over the course of the season being at full power and having her regular appearance by the second season. However, both she and Celestia have gotten pretty beat up over the course of the series including having their magic stolen several times, and yet Luna never took on that form again. Even in future times in the series when Nightmare Moon appears, Luna STILL never takes on that Season 1 form. So what happened? Why does she look so different in Season 1? You can't just change a character's design without an explanation! That's bad writing! Did Luigi's , Daisy's, Waluigi's, or Tails's designs change drastically since their inception? They might have gotten slightly thinner or started wearing new dresses or have had very minor changes, but, for the most part, no, and people loved them way more than the main character all the same. So what gives?

And what, exactly, did the Elements of Harmony actually DO to Nightmare Moon/Luna, anyway? Why did they send her to the moon when Celestia used them on her, and had a completely different effect, which is ACTUALLY bring her back to normal, when the Main 6 used them on her? We know that either her jealously amplified her magic power, she reached the breaking point and used the moon's power to boost her own power, or both to become Nightmare Moon, and she started going ballistic because she wanted to be loved and she wanted her night to be loved. O.K., so she gets back from the moon still all jealous and crazy, then the Main 6 use the Elements of Harmony on her. Why is she suddenly not jealous and crazy anymore? What happened? If you had someone who was arrogant, jealous, and crazy, I would think the way to cure them would be to just sit down and talk to them and have them vent their feelings and relax, which is basically how Starlight Glimmer was redeemed. Twilight got through to Starlight. Starlight told Twilight what was bothering her, they just sat down and talked, Starlight Glimmer calmed down, and Twilight Sparkle forgave her and gave her a second chance, no rainbow lasers used. SURELY the same could have been done for Nightmare Moon, considering that, just like Starlight Glimmer, she wasn't inherently evil, just misguided and had a troubled past, right?

Edited by DPBOX

Actually Luigi's design DID change from its initial appearance! TV Tropes called Early Installment Character Design Difference

Screenshot_20220109-195643.thumb.png.7296248d848b9200e0b00a0ec5a0f840.png

And the same thing applies to Princess Luna. 

Not to mention another trope called depending on the artist. Taken directly from Princess Luna's character page on tv Tropes

Luna has two designs; the dark blue coat with ethereal mane is her main design used now, but her light purple design with a normal blue mane was used for her first appearance in the series premiere, before she debuted the other design in Season 2 and kept it. Lauren Faust said Luna's smaller form upon her initial restoration was due to her low power levels, and she later recovered and took on her larger form as the show now depicted, but admits she made up the explanation on the spot and (at the time) didn't know how the current showrunners would explain it. They didn't, and while the show now ignores the original design (even flashbacks use the current design), other materials including the comics, toyline, and the mobile game, use either design interchangably, making it unlikely that a real explanation exists beyond "they use the design they feel like using."

50 minutes ago, DPBOX said:

And what, exactly, did the Elements of Harmony actually DO to Nightmare Moon/Luna, anyway? Why did they send her to the moon when Celestia used them on her, and had a completely different effect, which is ACTUALLY bring her back to normal, when the Main 6 used them on her?

I already said this before in another topic.  Remember how when they first imprisoned Discord in stone it took BOTH princesses using the Elements of Harmony for it to work but when Luna became Nightmare Moon Celestia was forced to use them all by herself and therefore the Elements likely were unable to be used to their full potential to free Luna from her dark form.

So the best thing the EoH could do was send Luna up to the Moon not to mention all the EoH's power was used up; that five of the Elements were turned into stone while the sixth Element the Element of magic must have disappeared into thin air and after a thousand years the story and existence of the Elements of Harmony became Legend. Only when a new generation of Element Bearers who can use the Elements of Harmony (The Mane 6) were discovered could the Elements finally be used to their full power again and restored Luna back to normal. 

That's a plausible explanation that works for me

Not sure what the actual explanation is, but if I were to take a stab, it was probably just an early design. I guess maybe also because Luna was basically stuck as Nightmare Moon for such a long period of time, it's not unrealistic to think that her appearance might've been affected when she transformed back.

I will also add on to that point that the reason other characters like Luigi and Tails had such different designs later on was because the technology was improving fast and the designs had to be tweaked so that they would fit the newer art styles.

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Cash_In said:

I will also add on to that point that the reason other characters like Luigi and Tails had such different designs later on was because the technology was improving fast and the designs had to be tweaked so that they would fit the newer art styles.

That was exactly what I'm talking about regarding early character design. You can't expect ALL characters to look exactly the same throughout an entire show run ALL the time. Leaving a change in a character design help to show the character getting older and possibly actually going through an actual life experience 

Thank you. Those posts answer most of my questions, but what, exactly, did the Elements of Harmony actually DO to Nightmare Moon/Luna? We know that either her jealously amplified her magic power, she reached the breaking point and used the moon's power to boost her own power, or both to become Nightmare Moon, and she started going ballistic because she wanted to be loved and she wanted her night to be loved. O.K., so she gets back from the moon still all jealous and crazy, then the Main 6 use the Elements of Harmony on her. Why is she suddenly not jealous and crazy anymore? What happened?

If you had someone who was arrogant, jealous, and crazy, I would think the way to cure them would be to just sit down and talk to them and have them vent their feelings and relax, which is basically how Starlight Glimmer was redeemed. Twilight got through to Starlight. Starlight told Twilight what was bothering her, they just sat down and talked, Starlight Glimmer calmed down, and Twilight Sparkle forgave her and gave her a second chance, no rainbow lasers used. SURELY the same could have been done for Nightmare Moon, considering that, just like Starlight Glimmer, she wasn't inherently evil, just misguided and had a troubled past, right?