Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who thinks discord is a good character here, like is he a good developed character? Did you guys like him before or after he was reformed? Do you ship Fluttercord? If so why?

WolfyIsAQT

I think he's a good character, and I like how funny he is, I like him better when he was reformed because he wasn't a brat XD I ship FlutterCord because it's cute and I honestly think it became canon at the end of mlp fim

Edited by WolfyIsAQT

• The title was changed to Who thinks discord is a good character here?
  • The title was changed to Who thinks discord is a good character here, like is he a good developed character? Did you guys like him before or after he was reformed? Do you ship Fluttercord? If so why?

I agree, he's a great character, though a little too petty sometimes. And he makes people know about it :blink:

I think I might prefer him in his villain state, though only just a bit more over his reformed state. Really snarky and clever, he was.

Still funny how he tried calling her weak and helpless but it didn't affect her because she already was self aware of that. He should've hit her with how her kindness was hurting others somehow, that would've made her panic like everyone else so he wouldn't have had to forcibly turn her. But then again, we wouldn't have that awesome scene! :squee:

As for ships, well I guess it's open to interpretation if they're just friends or something more :ooh:

Rewatching the series has led me to dislike him more and more with every appearance after his first - he'd have made such a fantastic overarching villain and he should've been more like Q from Star Trek (literally what he was described as and why he's voiced by John De Lancie in the first place)

His 'reformation' was just him gaslighting Fluttershy and it just keeps getting worse and worse and worse from there

I despise Fluttercord with every fiber of my being

• Brohoof 2

Fluttercord, absolutely not. I am not fond of shipping as a whole, much less this one. Discord and Fluttershy honestly both come across as too unstable to have a sort of functional relationship.

Speaking specifically of his character, I do overall like him, but Discord is probably the character hurt most by hindsight. I enjoyed his arc in Season 4: it was clear that he was still very new to the idea of friendship, and while he enjoyed Fluttershy's company, he was still overall a very unreadable and insidious character. He could have solved the premiere's conflict in a snap if he wanted; he was even the reason the plundervines were wreaking havoc at all. He simply chose not to, just to mess with Twilight. He only realized how much he took friendship for granted after Tirek had double-crossed him. That was a very interesting way of truly reforming Discord; it was a very slow process, but Twilight's faith in Discord allowed him to show that he could be a true friend after all.

Everything that comes afterward is significantly more dubious. He was always going to have a sort of obnoxious, trollish presence, really. This got way too out of hand in the later seasons however, where he is constantly a source of danger for our protagonists, with the Grogar catastrophe being the most egregious example. It really is no wonder why many people say that Discord should not have been reformed; it is not a position I agree with, but with how it turned out? I can't blame them for disliking the result.

I still like Discord, more or less. His character is a never-ending barrage of visual gags, carried by an exceptional performance courtesy of John De Lancie. It is just very difficult to stomach where his character went after Season 4.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely in the "he should have never been reformed camp" but admittedly that largely comes from the S5+ run of the show as S4 had a clear direction for him, but after it was clear they only kept him to get the most out of John DeLancie at the expense of FiM's world and stories, it just felt like he really only stuck around to make everyone but Fluttershy miserable, with S9 being some of the show's worst habits with him being put on full blast, and everyone only tolerated him because they really wanted to push the idea that he had a thing for Fluttershy.

Admittedly, if he got more episodes like Discordant Harmony and less....everything else, I probably would have tolerated him a lot more

• Brohoof 3

11 hours ago, Megas said:

I'm definitely in the "he should have never been reformed camp" but admittedly that largely comes from the S5+ run of the show as S4 had a clear direction for him, but after it was clear they only kept him to get the most out of John DeLancie at the expense of FiM's world and stories, it just felt like he really only stuck around to make everyone but Fluttershy miserable, with S9 being some of the show's worst habits with him being put on full blast, and everyone only tolerated him because they really wanted to push the idea that he had a thing for Fluttershy.

I think his reformation makes sense, but should have taken more time. All it took was a single day with Fluttershy to (almost) completely reform him ? Naaaah. He should have been more antagonistic, but in a more "I'll screw with you without actually doing harm" like in Three's a Crowd. That's the kind of screwing with people that's right on par with the "reformed" Discord. Eventually, he warms up to the ponies and get to a point where he cares for Twilight and the other like in S9, sure. :umad:

On 2023-09-28 at 1:45 AM, The Recherche said:

Fluttercord, absolutely not. I am not fond of shipping as a whole, much less this one. Discord and Fluttershy honestly both come across as too unstable to have a sort of functional relationship.

Same, I'm really not into the Fluttercord ship, never understood why or how it got off the ground. Like sure, Fluttershy is Discord first "friend", and they spend some time together. But he's an "immortal" spirit of Chaos. It's like if Chrysalis fell in love with Starlight because she defeated her ? At best, I always felt Discord had a thing for Celestia exactly for that reason, he respected her strenght and they've known each other for waaaaay longer (although in not the same fashion). :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 1