Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Nintendo Playstation.

CastletonSnob

As we all know, Nintendo and Sony were working on a SNES add-on, but Nintendo made a deal with Phillips, and that led to the PlayStation.

I hear about how Nintendo betrayed Sony, but why is Nintendo in the wrong? Sony was going to get all the profits for the games. It's not like Sony was completely innocent. I'm tired of people making the birth of the Playstation seem like the big bully Nintendo screwed over the helpless victim Sony, when Sony was the bigger company at the time.

• Brohoof 1

Ha! The most deluded Nintendo fans will use that story as "PROFE THAT NINTENDO MADE PLAYSTATION AND THUS MADE SONY WHAT IT IS!". :maud:

It's kind of like how if Square hadn't "betrayed" Nintendo and made a contract with Sony instead, we wouldn't have the Final Fantasy VII we know and love today. I always look at stuff like this objectively since there really is no "good or bad" in situations like this very generally. Reason being...does it really matter who was "right or wrong" so long as things turned out for the better? 

• Brohoof 1

For reference, the history about Nintendo's "betrayal" towards Sony were a lot more complicated than we were led to believe, with the deal that was conjured up that would have left Nintendo with significantly less control over their properties. 

Definitely one of the biggest "what if" stories of the industry, where the likes of God of War, Uncharted and The Last of Us could have been under the same umbrella as Mario, Zelda and Metroid, but I still think what we ultimately ended up with turned out to be for the best

5 minutes ago, Megas said:

For reference, the history about Nintendo's "betrayal" towards Sony were a lot more complicated than we were led to believe, with the deal that was conjured up that would have left Nintendo with significantly less control over their properties. 

Definitely one of the biggest "what if" stories of the industry, where the likes of God of War, Uncharted and The Last of Us could have been under the same umbrella as Mario, Zelda and Metroid, but I still think what we ultimately ended up with turned out to be for the best

There's no guarantee the SNES CD add-on would have even succeeded. The Sega CD and 3DO, both early CD-based consoles, flopped.

If I remember, an issue of Nintendo Power talked about the console idea following after some pages of a Super Mario World comic tie-in.  A two-page article with an image of the big, haunted staircase:ithastolookpretty: of The 7th Guest:wau: in it:blink:  

Edited by ZiggWheelsManning

• 11 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 10:47 PM, CastletonSnob said:

but why is Nintendo in the wrong?

Nintendo is always in the wrong.

Sony isn't that right either. Whenever both get a chance to leapfrog the other, they will do whatever it takes, and people get hurt.

The prototype Playstation wouldn't have been any good since 3D was so far away back then, and the SNES was doing so good anyways.