Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo Switch Lite

joanro

No rumble, it's too small to use with Nintendo Labo VR Goggles. and the biggest deal-breaker is it being unable to play it on the TV.

So sorry but I'm sticking with the original Switch that can actually Switch be TV and Handheld.

Still, good offer for those who use handheld all the time anyway.

• Brohoof 1

As someone who plays with their Switch in Handheld Mode majority of the time, I can certainly see the appeal, especially since it's $100 cheaper and seems to be a bit more portable. 

• Brohoof 1

I love when barriers to entry are lowered. It has fewer moving parts, so (presumably) is harder to break. It's also more straightforward, so great for younger children. Obviously at a certain age, kids will be like cool, I want the better one, and that's fine, but if I had kids, I wouldn't want really young ones messing up my Switch. 200 bucks isn't not a lot of money to shell out for a console, and I think this is just fantastic. I do see downsides to it though.

I have several joycons, because of the dreaded joycon drift. When that starts to happen, I can just send them into Nintendo. This is a known issue with the joycon itself. I treat my products very nicely, and with my most recent set, it hasn't happened, but with my first set, it's just the way they are. Hopefully the new Switches are built better, but if they aren't if drift happens, you're going to need to send the whole system, and not just a single joycon, because your system is going to be unplayable, unless you can pair another set, which it was sort of hinted at that you could. However, that would sort of be defeating the purpose.

It may have a better battery life though?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I can't have a TV where I live anyways, so if I were to get a Switch I would get this one. And I like that bright teal color :ooh:

Most likely won't get it though, cause I need to save money and stuff :maud:. But I'll think about it.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

I already own the standard Switch, but I do think this is a decent alternative for those who need other options.

It's a Switch that...doesn't switch.

I get they did something similar with 3DS -> 2DS, where the feature of the 3DS was taken away for the release of the 2DS... But 3D was the very definition of a gimmick. Removing it pretty much removed nothing of value. The feature of the Switch to be able to be played handheld or console is an actual significant feature.

As long as the branding of the Switch remains as the Switch and not an either or kind of deal I'm okay with this. But I kind of worry, since there was that rumor of a Switch Pro. Will the Switch Pro be the reverse and be a TV console only Switch? Is this the future of the Switch brand? The ability to be able to switch is the best feature of the system. I hope they don't downplay that like they did 3D... because I mean 3D was just a gimmick, whereas this is actually something of value.

It's good for those who mainly want it on the go, especially with the $200. That said, the ability to be a home console and handheld was kind of the selling point so it isn't for me

• 2 weeks later...

Ehhhhh...

I see no chance of this thing seeing any success because it lacks way too many cool, good features to even give a care about, and even with the target audience...

If you're too poor to afford the Switch, honestly? You don't deserve this. Hard miss.

• 3 years later...

It's perfect for games on the go, that's for sure. There's just the minor thing of paying $20 for a terrible online service and the fact that the it has a limited capacity of 32GB and so you'd need a separate MicroSD card so you can pack in more games if you're buying from the Eshop.

I had to buy another one because I broke the one I got one Christmas - got really frustrated with Smash Ultimate, banged it against my knee, and cracked the screen. 

I still have the original Switch, but I think the Switch Lite is solid as a cheaper alternative. If you're a handheld enthusiast, it's even better. The only problem is if you ended up being unlucky enough to get drift on the control sticks. :rarity: