Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Argentina Fakie? (MLP G1 pony help wanted)

crystalshines

I joined this forum to discuss / share this mystery pony that I got about a week ago. It was from a seller from Chile on ebay for 27$. I had a bit of money to spend at the time and was interested in this one

because the hooves say "84 hasbro Made in Argentina" Which to me made me think it was a nirvana / prototype nirvana for Argentina. Upon more inspection it looks like a fakie using a mold of

a prototype nirvana? I've never seen or heard anything like it. I joined a MLP server and an expert there said it could be a one of a kind fakie.

She has no hole in her tail I think its rooted in, but its so thick and matted up its hard to tell...but she looks like she has some kind of hair rust anyway?

No glue on the head, was pretty dirty at the start. It looks like applejack with no apples. Happy to have it but would love to know more if anyone does.

20220912_190719_HDR.jpg20220912_190710_HDR.jpg20220912_161215.jpg20220912_161206.jpg

looks like the same mold as this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204063008593?hash=item2f831a6751:g:TIcAAOSwClxiZvbb&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMk3NJsKaEvOrJjI96tMLW%2Fg6%2B5Y8yQjujb4DMUGsEnwQxZONQYQS2s8bXV03MIuS9en%2Flg4%2BqWdQpo3CorGsyCzCe77N2jAbvwxWFrIpc07UWJq5RrKHV9a1Of5w14wLN9ZObG4Z5msePAi5oCD6G0pHdo4VlSsuVs%2BW4hi9jBEnJi%2BbBvHBhHvB4LjPP4U%2BDnBzb6PLfx9Wz9W12tY%2Bhs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6j1rsvpYA

unknown.png

Please let me know if you know anything or just what u think. :) 

It's hard to tell if it's a true fakie or not, to be honest. The Nirvana 'label' were toys made by local manufacturers under license by Hasbro in very limited regions, and Top Toys in Argentina was one of those manufacturers, possibly the most notorious of them as they didn't follow Hasbro's guidelines *at all* for character models. They just slapped together whatever mane & tail hairs to whatever bodies, and painted whatever cutie-mark the particular person putting it together was 'feeling' at that moment. They then got sold using the name that went with the cutie-mark, regardless of body or hair colours.

The 'Made In' and 'Argentina' are on different back hooves which is true on all known instances of Top Toys, so that looks right. However, I kinda expected a more ridiculous colour combination than that for a Top Toys.

Is there any evidence of any kind of cutie-mark that has worn off? All the rest of the paints seems pretty worn, but to be *completely* missing the cutie-mark is annoying to do any kind of identification of a Top Toys Nirvana. :)

@Fhaolanthank you for replying! I did not know it was called "top toys" 

I believe it did not have a cutie mark / symbol. It doesnt show any signs I don't think. Though since this model I only see being used as a prototype I thought that would be why. 

Because it would be unfinished. Its interesting it has eyes though, which look hand painted in my opinion. 

So i thought the dull colors and no cutie mark could be due to not being finished

Oh, no problem. Here's a couple of collector's sites with information on them:

https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G1/Country/argentina.html

https://retrogeektoys.com/articles/vintage-my-little-pony-what-are-nirvana-ponies-and-where-to-find-them/

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Argentina

The last link was interesting and I only saw it after my other post. Throughout the article it talks about a large number of fakies being made in the early 2004 or 2005 in Argentina because someone got ahold of the old Top Toys G1 moulds and paint stamps.

I may be wrong, but what I'm interpreting what mylittlewiki is saying is that the way to tell is that the head and body poses are... inconsistent with any of the official releases. I guess Top Toys may have been wild in putting colours together, but they kept the head pose and body poses consistent with each other. And what you have looks to me like a Paseo head pose matched up with a Bowtie body pose (which explains the rather jarring size mismatch in the neck joint). But again, I'm not sure, I'm not actually an expert, I'm just reasonably good at looking stuff up (research). ;) 

@Fhaolan That's an interesting theory and I didn't know they made fakies like that. But I don't think the it looks like a Paseo / Bowtie mix. Paseo has the standard walking pose and her neck is turned upwards more than this one. I have a posey to compare. I think the body is skinnier than Bowtie Arg too.

It looks most like this prototype I linked thats green. The head is even not quite even on the neck here too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204063008593?hash=item2f831a6751:g:TIcAAOSwClxiZvbb&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMk3NJsKaEvOrJjI96tMLW%2Fg6%2B5Y8yQjujb4DMUGsEnwQxZONQYQS2s8bXV03MIuS9en%2Flg4%2BqWdQpo3CorGsyCzCe77N2jAbvwxWFrIpc07UWJq5RrKHV9a1Of5w14wLN9ZObG4Z5msePAi5oCD6G0pHdo4VlSsuVs%2BW4hi9jBEnJi%2BbBvHBhHvB4LjPP4U%2BDnBzb6PLfx9Wz9W12tY%2Bhs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6j1rsvpYA 

This pose is unlike any other I have seen. I've contacted the original seller and they said:

"I found it on my last trip to Buenos Aires Argentina, I understand that they were manufactured locally, because imports to that country were limited"

"It is real, the curious thing is that the last ones stopped carrying the mark made in Argentina, because they preferred those made abroad, and they were made without a mark of origin"

• 1 month later...

I’m far from an expert, but I know Hasbro sold figures exclusive by region, so it’s very well possible that’s one of such toys.

It even happened during the last generation, even if it was due to Americans being less inclined on toys than other countries :sunny: (RIGHT, CUTIE MARK CREW SERIES 5 & 6 :Cozy:?)

Edited by Steve Piranha