Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Bayonetta set to get new voice actor for upcoming third game

Denim&Venöm

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/61825/role-of-bayonetta-recast-for-bayonetta-3-original-voice-actress-calling-for-boycott

https://gamerant.com/bayonetta-3-hellena-taylors-controversy-explained/

You heard that right folks. The iconic, fashionable gun slinger will be re-cast for the upcoming third game. And the reasons why have stirred some controversy. Hellena Taylor, the VA for Bayonetta during the first two games, cameos in Smash and for the Anime spin off, has refused to reprise her role due to "an insultingly low ball offer of $4k" for the whole game. In response, Platinum games hosted auditions for the part and Bayonetta will now be voiced by everyone's favorite Jedi Master, N7 recruit, WH.O.O.P. agent and Hex Girl: Jennifer Hale. 

This has sparked massive debate on how low VAs are compensated, whether everyone else who made the game deserves to suffer due to mismanagement of casting, whether or not Hale deserves any blame for taking such a well known part or if Taylor is going too far asking for a boycott. It does seem the consensus is that Jennifer Hale was not acting opportunistically and most likely was kept out of the loop. She's all but agreed with Helena Taylor's stance on VAs getting disrespect and how Platinum lowballed her out of the game was uncalled for, but makes it clear she doesn't appreciate being low key called out over everything.   

With all that being said, if this does go through, will you still get Bayonetta III, even with Jennifer Hale as our titular heroine? Or will you skip out until Helena Taylor is back behind the trigger? 

I need to talk about this later but I will say that there’s a ton of misinformation being thrown around with things not adding up

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

I've always been interested in playing the Bayonetta games, since it looks like a cool series, and I did enjoy hearing Hellena Taylor's voice in a trailer. However, even as I would need to play the first two games before playing the third any time in the near future, I disagree with the call for a boycott. That's not just because I've seen companies get away with far worse than what PlatinumGames is being accused of here without boycott calls from recognizable names. Voice acting isn't a high-paying job. Experienced voice actors are generally paid 50-200 bucks for every 100 words they voice in games and I know enough about Bayonetta to know that the games are more gameplay-focused than story-focused and not very long either. I can sympathize with how it's rough to make a living as a voice actor, but I am not detecting a motive of malice from PlatinumGames here and I do not believe they deserve to be antagonized over this. 

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

However, even as I would need to play the first two games before playing the third any time in the near future, I disagree with the call for a boycott.

It’s worth mentioning that ever since the call to boycott the game’s been experiencing an increase in orders if Amazon best sellers is anything to go by

She also said the Bayonetta franchise was worth $450 million(Yeah, I wish!)

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

I was gonna make a huge write up about how the internet overreacted  and how it wasn't worth boycotting, and how we need to wait to see more about the story to see what's going on, but, uh, Jason Schreier dropped this bombshell, and turns she out was lying

I know one thing that was spreading was an interview saying they couldn't get the Hellena Taylor due to scheduling issues, which was blatantly false

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/10/05/platinum-games-confirms-jennifer-hale-as-the-new-voice-of-bayonetta

“Various overlapping circumstances made it difficult for Hellena Taylor to reprise her role,”

"various overlapping circumstances" doesn't sound like Scheduling issues to me

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, Megas said:

I was gonna make a huge write up about how the internet overreacted  and how it wasn't worth boycotting, and how we need to wait to see more about the story to see what's going on, but, uh, Jason Schreier dropped this bombshell, and turns she out was lying

I had a bad feeling... She looked like a Karen... That gave it away for me... 😂

1 hour ago, Megas said:

I know one thing that was spreading was an interview saying they couldn't get the Hellena Taylor due to scheduling issues, which was blatantly false

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/10/05/platinum-games-confirms-jennifer-hale-as-the-new-voice-of-bayonetta

"various overlapping circumstances" doesn't sound like Scheduling issues to me

And while I understand why some people don't like Hideki Kamiya, people were also overreacting to his response calling her out for lying. There are times where he could also be speaking in a tongue-in-cheek manner. You never know with Kamiya. :nom:

1129134547_KamiyaJustifiedResponse.jpg.7ac48f50249438eb31d671ec01759c49.jpg

And this is a case where he's justified, I honestly laughed. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

And while I understand why some people don't like Hideki Kamiya, people were also overreacting to his response calling her out for lying. There are times where he could also be speaking in a tongue-in-cheek manner. You never know with Kamiya. :nom:

1129134547_KamiyaJustifiedResponse.jpg.7ac48f50249438eb31d671ec01759c49.jpg

And this is a case where he's justified, I honestly laughed. :ButtercupLaugh:

People will never admit they were wrong. Y'all got people on Twitter trying to justify their outrage by saying "I'm not apologizing, he showed how much of an asshole he really is" after the entire damn website bombarded his account with hate. You know what? fuck them any shit he throws at them now is 100% justified

EDIT : OH THIS GOT BURIED UNDER ALL THE OUTRAGE

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

Seems like a mess full of drama to me. I haven't played any of the Bayonetta games, although I'm familiar with them. I don't intend to play the upcoming Bayonetta either because I'm not interested in that franchise, not because of the ongoing controversy.

12 hours ago, Megas said:

People will never admit they were wrong. Y'all got people on Twitter trying to justify their outrage by saying "I'm not apologizing, he showed how much of an asshole he really is" after the entire damn website bombarded his account with hate. You know what? fuck them any shit he throws at them now is 100% justified

EDIT : OH THIS GOT BURIED UNDER ALL THE OUTRAGE

Of course they're not admitting they're wrong. "I am morally right, therefore the facts don't matter and I am free to commit any morally wrong actions I please.". Yeah, I could never imagine why Kamiya is the way he is. :maud:

• Brohoof 2