Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mythical creature opinions?

Samuel L Changeling

(edited)

So, how do you think mythical creatures such as the unicorns, dragons etc would see a show like MLP if they were here  in the physical world now?

Do you think they would love it or loathe the cartonish depiction of characters?

Edited by Star heart 777
Missing words
  • Brohoof 2

If they're sentient like in the show, I imagine it'd be the latter.

Any and all depictions of things will get viewed in two ways simultaneously by their group. Some will see the entertainment value in a character and appreciate any level of representation, and some will also see it as insensitive at some level, depending on the accuracy of the portrayal, whether there's an acknowledgment for events of the past, and the the extent to which cultural appropriation occurs. Within amd outside the group, many opinions will be found between these.

The show has had issues with cultural depictions before, one of the more notable was of the Bison in Season 1, Episode 21 "Over a Barrel" as native americans. I remember this episode being somewhat controversial at the time of airing, and thus having less re runs, as well as being the reason for such a notable introduction of another species in the show to make so few appearances later in the series, even with repeated visits to that location, Appleoosa.

https://ladygeekgirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/my-little-pony-and-racism/

Of significance from this article I've read,

As one user on the MLP:FiM wikia page mentioned: “Thanks to this show, I now believe it is okay to appropriate another nation’s land and natural resources, as long as you get them perpetually addicted to a substance.

I would guess that this depiction cames from a place of innocence, the comparisons to real life are easy to draw, making it insensitive none the less.

It's impossible to know what dragons and unicorns would think, but if they've been fully integrated with human societies at this point with less than sour histories, then they may simply see the show as nothing more than what it's intended, a form of children's entertainment. :P

1 hour ago, SharpWit said:

If they're sentient like in the show, I imagine it'd be the latter.

Any and all depictions of things will get viewed in two ways simultaneously by their group. Some will see the entertainment value in a character and appreciate any level of representation, and some will also see it as insensitive at some level, depending on the accuracy of the portrayal, whether there's an acknowledgment for events of the past, and the the extent to which cultural appropriation occurs. Within amd outside the group, many opinions will be found between these.

The show has had issues with cultural depictions before, one of the more notable was of the Bison in Season 1, Episode 21 "Over a Barrel" as native americans. I remember this episode being somewhat controversial at the time of airing, and thus having less re runs, as well as being the reason for such a notable introduction of another species in the show to make so few appearances later in the series, even with repeated visits to that location, Appleoosa.

https://ladygeekgirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/my-little-pony-and-racism/

Of significance from this article I've read,

As one user on the MLP:FiM wikia page mentioned: “Thanks to this show, I now believe it is okay to appropriate another nation’s land and natural resources, as long as you get them perpetually addicted to a substance.

I would guess that this depiction cames from a place of innocence, the comparisons to real life are easy to draw, making it insensitive none the less.

It's impossible to know what dragons and unicorns would think, but if they've been fully integrated with human societies at this point with less than sour histories, then they may simply see the show as nothing more than what it's intended, a form of children's entertainment. :P

Well, whether they would enjoy the childish characters or not I'm sure at the very least they appreciate the chance for invitation the show gives them to come here. 

2 hours ago, Star heart 777 said:

Well, whether they would enjoy the childish characters or not I'm sure at the very least they appreciate the chance for invitation the show gives them to come here. 

I think I would absolutely love them. There's nothing immature about being enthusiastic, happy and child-like. I think it captures the spirit and nature of many people even if they hide it deep down inside. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. But I'd say this Pegasus would be thrilled! :pinkie: