Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions " controversial topics?"

Reiki Knight 13
Go to solution Solved by Evil Pink One,

I was just wondering with there being no debate group and that being about the only area to post it discuss topics of a more debated nature where we post it discuss such thing. 

I ask because I actually enjoy a nice friendly conversation about more indepth topics like debating life vs the death penalty or creationism vs evolution etc with  friends off of here. 

I understand the need to avoid 18+ natured topics but I feel there should be at a little debate among conversations or it makes things dull 

Glitch, I clicked GENERAL QUESTION NOT TECHNICAL ISSUE.

• Brohoof 1

Staff has put the "debate pit" project on hold for now, until various objectives can be fulfilled like training staff to moderate it.

1. Debate pit - we all know it and we also know how much moderation it requires. Topics that are being discussed there are ones that may lead to passionate discussions and because of it that section needs more care from us than any other. Because of this, that section of the site is down until we are properly staffed and adjusted with these updates along with bigger changes for the site.

Source: https://mlpforums.com/topic/199910-were-expanding

"Debate pit" was basically a section of these forums where you could debate anything, especially topics of a controversial nature, as long you abided by the guidelines. Unfortunately, such a section didn't fit in with the desired atmosphere of these forums (friendliness, wholesomeness, stuff that you would except from a forums dedicated to MLP). Some users would personally attack each other, and debates got rather heated despite the section's internal rules which prohibited personal attacks, heated arguments, and emotion-driven responses. As a result, significant changes to the section was needed, so staff decided it was best to hide the section until those changes could be implemented.

• Brohoof 1

I believe personally, it is for the best of the community to not have these topics be allowed on the forum. We come here to escape the negativity of the world. I am of the opinion that it has no place on this website, and if users wish to discuss it - it should be in private DM or off the site. Nothing is preventing you from discussing these topics over Discord or other sites. Just not here, and that's for the best. 

• Brohoof 4

Look all I'm trying to get here is you'll never get to really know people if every topic has to be of a general agreeable nature. In other words,  I'm asking more as a way to unite others by people being able to get to know each other better.

It is sadly about one of the few ways to build empathetic connection and break through the masks and lies people present online.

I know it sounds strange as it seems it would divide but as the saying "birds of a feather fly together" you find that rarely is any topic just one person in agreement or in opposition to it and thus it gives people a link to other like minded individuals.

DM is too slow to accomplish this as it's only one to one. 

• Brohoof 1

I look forward to its re-opening. I sympathize with OP as I find such discussions interesting. There is definitely value in becoming familiar with a given subject, to articulate one's views, and to be challenged by opposing views -- why exactly it is that there are disagreements. The medium of the forums is more conducive to lengthy discussions than that of instant communication.

On the matter of hostility, it may be worth mentioning that they were particularly acute on current events political threads; for those more interested in theoretical subjects, the chances of facing aggressive communication is notably lower (at least based on observation).

While the debate section is closed for the time being, I suppose it may still be worth investing time to read and write at length on subjects that are of particular interest; even if there is to be no audience for them, the very least this would further develop one's own worldview.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Star heart 777 said:

Glitch, I clicked GENERAL QUESTION NOT TECHNICAL ISSUE.

Just to let you know, I have changed the tag to "general questions"~

11 minutes ago, Star heart 777 said:

You can actually have group DMs. Each DM conversation can have up to 50 recipients.

When composing a new message, simply tag multiple users. Afterwards, you can always invite more members to the conversation by clicking this button:

2023-07-03_23-32-02.png

Not that I'm telling you to use it, I'm just passing by mentioning available options. :darling:

• Brohoof 2

32 minutes ago, Star heart 777 said:

Look all I'm trying to get here is you'll never get to really know people if every topic has to be of a general agreeable nature. In other words,  I'm asking more as a way to unite others by people being able to get to know each other better.

It is sadly about one of the few ways to build empathetic connection and break through the masks and lies people present online.

I know it sounds strange as it seems it would divide but as the saying "birds of a feather fly together" you find that rarely is any topic just one person in agreement or in opposition to it and thus it gives people a link to other like minded individuals.

I would like to ask You to look at it from the other side.

1. Debate Pit is objectively the most demanding section to moderate, both on an emotional level and concerning amount of time required to do it. We don't have people to moderate it. Moving anyone to watch over it means other sections of the forums are being neglected. Sections that, I am sorry for this level of honesty, gain much more attention from users than Debate Pit actually did. 

2. To further back that up there are currently numerous projects for mlpforums that focus on its core purpose - ponies. Even today You witnessed overhaul of RP section and that is the beginning of other things that are about to happen in the future. These already take a lot of time and that's where staff's focus has to remain for now. 

3. As @Silky the smol stated - there will be a new website availible, where debating all sorts of controversial topics is acceptable. Unfortunately on mlpforums doing that means we have to sacrifice a lot of time that can be spent to better the website as whole. 

I am really sorry, but as of today we cannot prioritize return of Debate Pit to mlpforums over currently ongoing work. Especially when website which will fill this niche is in the works too. 

• Brohoof 1

While I mostly agree that honest debate is a good way to know people for real, I've been around here for long enough to know for a fact that the vast majority of the user base isn't fit for actual debate.

You'll find that there are extremists for any position and most people will take any honest disagreeing as a major aggression. Personal experience.

I think the debate pit is a waste of resources for the site. A good bunch of users will raise reports against others on the silliest things on the debate pit, from being told through facts about something that doesn't fit their opinion to even something as little as a reaction or emote. This means there's a lot of pointless comment reviewing to be performed by the staff and a lot of over reaction and unfair accusations.

So, tl;dr version:

For the sake of the community, it's better there's no serious debate around. Burns out staffers and gets people in trouble for nothing.

• Brohoof 2

How about the following compromise no to posting in a topics area but yes to posting and discussing within one's own personal area is.

Status updates, blogs that sort of thing.

So long as it's nothing overly violent anything that's a violation of general site rules. 

If someone has a problem with it they can just block said user and since it's posted of the person's personal area it's obviously THEIR opinion and not anything of the site so you really don't need to moderate it as much.

Fair enough or no?

Just shooting an idea here.

• Brohoof 1

I'll add my two cents in. The debate pit has a history of spinning out of control and has been closed twice in the last three years.

As for your question, status updates and blog posts can be still volatile. I have to be honest here, but not everyone will press that ignore button. Relying on that and that alone isn't a fix to the issue.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

It doesn't exist yet. 

I know this will reveal how old I am but wow do I miss the days of the internet where your content didn't need to be babysat and if you didn't like what someone posted or them in general you either ignored it blocked them and that was it. 

Staff didn't need to play the role of baby sitters and as long as you weren't really bad you were good. The users that did get banned or in trouble was because of serious issues : stalking, death threats, trolling and or annoying people so bad it was demanded unanimously that they be removed etc.

Basically, so long as you weren't a jerk you were good.

no offense meant to the staff here I just miss the days of "common sense" vs "offensive content" watch. 

But such is the world today.

That rant said, I'll go to the new site once it's up then. 

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Cash In said:

I have to be honest here, but not everyone will press that ignore button.

Even more, the ignore button doesn't hide completely the content someone might upload or generate. An ignored user can still reply to whoever is ignoring them as well as reading whatever the user ignoring them writes. It hides the content on the surface, but you can still decide to show the content temporarily to see it as well.

That said, the ignore system is different from blocking. It's friendlier to an extend, but with whatever flaws that carries.

Honestly, I don't see the point on having serious debate around here. I was a debate pit regular, and I think it's better now that there's no pit anymore. These forums are better off as a wholesome site dedicated to what ponies are about. And while one can argue this leaves a plastic feel on relationships here, it also prevents a lot of drama, grudges and abuse.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Silky the smol said:

Thank you @EpicEnergy for not only understanding but taking the time to explain it. 

Also, I’d like it to be known that while the platform of MLPF does require funds to run, none of us are being paid to do this. We do it from the bottom of our hearts and because we love ponies and enjoy the community. 

With that said, priority is given to real life matters of staff and members, so if there is a delay to any expansion project due to staff giving priority to their real life, then that delay to the site is not something we are going to mourn. We’re going to show more concern over the staffers involved rather than silly bickering of controversial matters. 

With that said, the project that is pending will be more than just debating, due to its sophisticated features implemented, it shall take some time. But its creation requires a lot of time, mental and emotional investment for useful functions.

Again, the staffers involved do this for free. So priority is given to their life, health, etc since it’s not their actual paid job. 

Thank you to those who understand. 

LIES! YOU ARE EASILY BRIBED BY CHOCLET MELKH!!!

Don't get the wrong idea from me by the way I've seen sites that had almost no restrictions and that led to so much R-34 pony content it killed any desire to watch the show or take any of the characters within it seriously.

There should of course be some balance as if you go to extreme the other way with the gorefests and extreme character displays it really does take away from enjoying the show.

If you have ever wondered how much pony is too much trust me I KNOW the answer...

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

LIES! YOU ARE EASILY BRIBED BY CHOCLET MELKH!!!

Careful. Or you risk being banned for leaking military secrets :toldya:

(edited)
20 hours ago, Silky the smol said:

Careful. Or you risk being banned for leaking military secrets :toldya:

Wouldn't you have to actually be in a military first for there to be military secrets to leak? 

or is this more like a Naruto Anbu black ops thing? 

If so we could get together and talk all about it. I do so enjoy talking about black ops publicly. 

Used to be you talked you ended up "gone" but these days as dumb as people are Celestia doesn't care if I talk about my missions anymore because no people are clever enough to be an issue.

I mean what do you think is it better to be able to talk freely about our missions or did you like it better when the humans had more intelligence @Silky the smol ?

Edited by Star heart 777
corrections

1 hour ago, Star heart 777 said:

Wouldn't you have to actually be in a military first for there to be military secrets to leak? 

or is this more like a Naruto Anbu black ops thing? 

If so we could get together and talk all about it. I do so enjoy talking about black ops publicly. 

Used to be you talked you ended up "gone" but these days as dumb as people are Celestia doesn't care if I talk about my missions anymore because no people are clever enough to be an issue.

I mean what do you think is it better to be able to talk freely about our missions or did you like it better when the humans had more intelligence @Silky the smol ?

It’s just a small joke. Nothing to take too deep or seriously. Right now, staff is taking it a little bit easy after some somber events. I’m someone who appreciates some levity so long as it’s harmless. With that said, congrats @Kujamihfor offering the solution to the question. :toldya:

p.s, to those who may not get it, again, it’s just a joke. Please take it easy as we take some time to reflect and take it easy. 

8 minutes ago, Silky the smol said:

It’s just a small joke. Nothing to take too deep or seriously. Right now, staff is taking it a little bit easy after some somber events. I’m someone who appreciates some levity so long as it’s harmless. With that said, congrats @Kujamihfor offering the solution to the question. :toldya:

p.s, to those who may not get it, again, it’s just a joke. Please take it easy as we take some time to reflect and take it easy. 

I was joking as well...

6 minutes ago, Star heart 777 said:

I was joking as well...

Ah, I see. I love it. Sometimes it’s hard to tell by text when you don’t really know a person. I’ve taken things to be jokes only to accidentally offend the person who was being serious. With so many diverse types of people in the world, best to just be sure before assuming but I’m glad you enjoy and partake in light humor :coco:

with that said, thank you for your patience as we go through some changes wity the site.