Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Biggest controversies in MLP

Commander_PonyShep

For me, it has to be Equestria Girls.  Say what you will about Princess Twilight, at the very least she was being trained by Princess Celestia throughout the past three seasons to become a princess.  Equestria Girls, on the other hand, turns MLP from this epic fairy tale about magic talking horses, and turns it into something it's not, just to compete with Barbie, Bratz, and Monster High.

Honorable mentions go to Derpygate, Lesson Zero, and Princess Cadence marrying Shining Armor.  At the very least, Derpy returned in MMC, they handled the other Mane Six ponies besides Twilight reporting to Celestia well, and the royal wedding eventually became a battle against insectoid changelings.  Though, I wish I could say the same for the mixed-up lesson in Mysterious Mare Do Well.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

Perhaps MLP itself. Y'know, the whole "bronies are weird" kind of thing

Out of the ones you mentioned, I think Equestria Girls. Even though I once thought it would be interesting

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Probably the Cloppers. They seem to get the most hate on all sides by; haters/bronies. 'normal persons'. I don't hate them, well because I personally don't find anything wrong with xenophilia of sapient beings.

Granted I know many Cloppers, whom they themselves hate certain types of Cloppers. Like those who look at rule 34 of underage Ponies. I have to admit I even hate those type of Cloppers, I'm sorry, but if you want to rape an innocent defenseless child (or rape anyone of that matter) regardless of species, I have absolutely zero respect for you.

And if the multiverse theory is true, I don't think many Ponies would be happy to see what some of us Bronies want to do to their children

But heck, they will have (multiverse theory) rule 34 of us Humans, so fair is fair, I guess.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 7

It depends on which type of controversy you're talking about. If it's within the show and related to parents, then Derpy's definitely the biggest one. I can see where the parents are coming from with that, but I still think it's an unnecessary controversy. 

For the brony community, there's a whole slew of them. Probably because we can make a controversy out of almost anything. Equestria Girls, Twilicorn, shipping, and clopping. You name it. 

It depends on which type of controversy you're talking about. If it's within the show and related to parents, then Derpy's definitely the biggest one. I can see where the parents are coming from with that, but I still think it's an unnecessary controversy. 

For the brony community, there's a whole slew of them. Probably because we can make a controversy out of almost anything. Equestria Girls, Twilicorn, shipping, and clopping. You name it. 

That had nothing to do with parents. It was trolls who wanted to just make a big deal out of nothing.

As far as controversy... I think the biggest one would be EqG, but that's just because it's the most current, and all these things get blown way out of proportion.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Equestria Girls, easily. Derpygate many have been more symbolically devastating, but I haven't seen this amount of hatred, confusion, outrage, arguing, and fanboy tears for a long time. Alicorn Twilight may just pale in comparison to this, especially if the community reaction really has pushed some crew members and writers to leave.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

Within the fandom, Equestria Girls, surely. Though I personally don't see anything wrong with it, I can see where the detractors are coming from. And of course, the whole clopper controversy.

Outside the fandom though, the biggest controversy is bronydom itself. It's forcing people to question long-established gender roles in a way that many don't want to face, and challenging people's perceptions about cartoons and their audiences. To say nothing of the division it's causing between people which I don't think will ever be resolved, but only worsened, as time goes on.

• Brohoof 1

EqG it's pretty much divided the fandom (sorta kinda).  It's kinda like Twilacorn times 10.  I don't see why people are making a big deal out of it though.  

EqG it's pretty much divided the fandom (sorta kinda).  It's kinda like Twilacorn times 10.  I don't see why people are making a big deal out of it though.  

I know.

Me?  I'm more concerned about the reason why Twilight entered the mirror alone, when she could've just as easily brought her friends with her.

The biggest one is Derpy because the implications of that stretch well above and beyond just the fandom itself and delve into who disabled people should be portrayed in media and how they should be treated in society and this despite the fact that Derpy was only assumed to be mentally challenged by those who complained and never confirmed one way or another. Cloppers are hated that is of course true but they are mostly hated by other bronies while there are some outside that know about clop most of the general population is unaware of that. The hate toward cloppers gets really old though as I just don't see why there should be so much focus on the masturbation habits of some fans.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I agree with that. Equestria Girls by far is the most controversial event to occur within the brony fandom. It's really the only thing other than the Derpy controversy to spark death threats against someone and might I say I really hate it when a community that's suppose to symbolize/represent love and tolerance is sending death threats against someone.

• Brohoof 3

There haven't really been any proper controversies regarding MLP in my personal opinion.

People blowing things massively out of proportion though? Oh, there have been many example's of that.

Twilight gets wings. Controversy!

A pony with slightly wonky eyes. Controversy!

A spinoff where the ponies are human. Controversy!

Seriously, I can understand people getting upset about these things, In fact I'm still pretty miffed about Twicorn and EG myself. But the sheer amount of shit-spewing rage some bronies go into whenever the writers DARE to try something new just makes me want to huddle up in the corner and cry. This is a cartoon show for crying out loud, not a violation of the Geneva convention.

• Brohoof 3

For me, it isn't Princess Twilight, Equestria Girls, or cloppers. (GASP!!!!).

It's the butthurt Bronies. The ones that overreact to people giving the show a try and not liking it.

The ones that force it on everybody, and says they have to watch it.

The ones that will stop at nothing to say it is the greatest TV show ever made.

Sure, I know a few of them, however I avoid them quite a bit.

• Brohoof 7

It's the butthurt Bronies. The ones that overreact to people giving the show a try and not liking it.

Fortunetely for us they are a minority, a loud and very annoying minority but a minority nonetheless. There was this thread a while back of this guy who said he gave the show a chance and didn't care for it and pretty much every response to it was "at least you gave it a chance."

• Brohoof 1

Fortunetely for us they are a minority, a loud and very annoying minority but a minority nonetheless. There was this thread a while back of this guy who said he gave the show a chance and didn't care for it and pretty much every response to it was "at least you gave it a chance."

Well that's nice to hear, however even though they're a minority, just the way they're so vocal, it creates stereotypes that all Bronies are like that, and to be rather honest, it's sad that a very small minority within the fandom causes most the hate.

• Brohoof 1

I think the biggest controversies in MLP would have to be Equestria Girls and the controversy in the fandom from it.

The predictions of how the movie will be bad, but the thing is I understand how predictions and opinions work but when you predict something will be bad and you haven't seen the movie then the predictions just come from the trailer.

I would agree with Equestria Girls though for completely different reasons. Really when there is a subgroup that insults the production staff to the extent where they consider quitting it can be no less. Its nothing short of truly sickening. Truly the highest degree of irrationality and stupidity that subgroup has ever demonstrated. I will never understand their propensity to not only full judge a product yet to be released, but to insult production staff for doing their freaking jobs. Truly stupid or any synonym of the word is quite apt to describe such individuals. 

Second goes to Alicorn Twilight. Another case of fans judging a product before it was released. Believing wholeheartedly in a rumor that was obviously fabricated from already known info. Misrepresenting the words of Lauren Faust. When the episode finally released finding any little thing no matter how trivial to freak out about. Pretty freaking ridiculous. 

• Brohoof 1

Controversies?

Probably Equestria Girls, Princess Twilight, and cloppers.

And those are really just a group of people totally blowing things out of proportion.  :/

In terms of the fandom as a whole, EqG. I've heard crew members have actually left because of the reactions to it. Sad, really.

Personally, AliTwi. With all the rage about EqG, we've forgotten it won't have an effect on canon. AliTwi actually will. After the S3 finale, something's gonna have to change. The same is not necessarily true about EqG. It seems to me like AliTwi is the MUCH more important and game-changing event here. To me, EqG is more-or-less just something that will most likely fade into irrelevant obscurity within a few months from release. I don't see why I should waste my time worrying about it.

• Brohoof 1

For me, the biggest ones have to be:

*"Feeling Pinkie Keen"

*"The Mysterious Mare Do Well"

*the CMC being shunned by the whole town in "Ponyville Confidential"

*the ending to part 1 of "A Canterlot Wedding"

Controversies in a show about colorful talking ponies? I'm sorry, I don't see any of them here img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

The only 'controversy' is the rabid individuals/trolls of the fandom whom blow everything out of proportion and how easy it is for some of the regular fans to follow. 

It's no wonder some crew members have left with how EqG has been received, I would've done the same thing if I was in their shoes. 

Well that's nice to hear, however even though they're a minority, just the way they're so vocal, it creates stereotypes that all Bronies are like that, and to be rather honest, it's sad that a very small minority within the fandom causes most the hate.

That pretty much comes with the territory when you consider any fandom. There is always a small vocal group who act obnoxiously when it comes to what they like.

The biggest controversy for me was Derpygate. Both EQG and Alicorn Twilight were mostly restricted to the brony fanbase itself, while Derpygate involved the wider demographic. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm gonna echo the whole clopping is the most controversial thing to happen as really it is. You have people who are all against it and make stupid videos like this to somehow stop the evil cloppers and then you have the anti cloppers who have to argue with the people who are against it and make straight up obnoxious videos supporting it

Personally I wish the people who are against it will shut up and realize that people are going to have weird fetishes and I wish the people who are for it will shut up and realize that if you're going to be open and draw damned cartoon ponies doing it that you are without a doubt going to get a backlash of "WTF" responses.

Also Derpy's probably the biggest controversy in show. Why? it went outside of the whole brony fandom. Simple as that... just like Full Spectrum came out and exactly said right before I bothered posting in here!

For me, the biggest ones have to be:

*"Feeling Pinkie Keen"

*"The Mysterious Mare Do Well"

*the CMC being shunned by the whole town in "Ponyville Confidential"

*the ending to part 1 of "A Canterlot Wedding"

Can you elaborate on what made these episodes controversial in the day? I know that some episodes did have some drama (Lesson Zero being love it or hate due to Twi's over-reaction, Bridle Gossip's cliched race relations, Maybe 3 of the ponies for eating Mrs' Cake's Mmmmmmmmmmm) but I'd like to know more about what the ones you outlined and why there was drama involved.