Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is Hot Topic really selling hot topics?

ManaMinori

I see stuff like Black Butler, Inuyasha, slipknot, Bob's burgers, etc. being sold at HT, while MLP stuff is being pushed to extinction in the stores. What gives? Are Black Butler, Inuyasha, slipknot, Bob's burgers, ect. even all (or still) that popular?

It baffles me that this is happenning, because it still seems like MLP is still very much a hot topic, what with numerous shows continuing to reference pony, Hasbro reporting that MLP is the most sucessful franchise their IP this quarter, newspapers continuing to feature bronies, games adding MLP references, etc.

Is Hot Topic REALLY proiritizing "hot topics"?

• Brohoof 1

I guess this thread is also a "hot topic"?  :smug:

I suppose they sell what makes money. I guess the brony movement was mainly a fad created by the hay day of FIM, which is fading, while perennial favorites make a comeback? If FiM was making them money, they'd keep advertising it, so I guess the truth of the matter is that it doesn't make them money as much these days. I know many bronies think the show has deteriorated in the later seasons, this might just be a reflection of that.

• Brohoof 2

Hot topics or not, I wish we had Hot Topic in my country!  :(

Seriously though, I check their website quite often and I'm glad they have merch for the stuff that's not popular any more (Johnny Bravo, Naruto, etc.) I wish they had more of the actual hot topics. Like Zootopia!

• Brohoof 1

I've only seen one thing MLP at the HT store where I live. And many of the stuff they are selling now is weird or even "hipster", you know?

ya i was looking for kingdom hearts t shirts that i found at the same place ware im at verry long time ago and now its just....hardly anything...

I'm the same. A few years back I bought a Kingdom Hearts 2 t shirt, now I can't find jack.

I think they had trouble selling the MLP stuff, I just don't see many folks in my area being open about pony. Most of us around here that are bronies still keep it on the down low, just so as not to offend/bother anybody. Suffice to say, with that mentality, you're not gonna sell a lot of pony shirts. Also, it seemed like the store got stuck with a lot of pony stuff no one wanted. I remember them having a big stack of Bon Bon and Spitfire Funko figures for seemingly centuries, they couldn't even get rid of them at sale price. There shirts were usually pretty bland and lame, too. Plus, with stuff like. WeLoveFine here on the 'net, I don't see why anypony would want to buy a shirt in-store specifically, anyway.

Hot Topic, like any normal business, sells the stuff that makes money.

The Fandom has certainly has passed his golden age of 2011-2013 and now it seems to settle itself in more and more like every other fandom and i am sure hot topic just dosen't sell as much MLP Stuff, because the customers don't ask much for it.

• Brohoof 1

The Hot Topic closest to me pretty much ditched MLP as well, and considering the wide variety of franchises there with only a handful of products, including for shows that ended already, it makes me wonder why that is. I think it has to do with the fact that MLP is over the peak of its popularity. Newer cartoons, especially Steven Universe, have come up and grabbed much of the casual "hipster" fanbase that's still around.

Hot Topic goes in cycles. They prioritize what is popular. It just so happens that MLP doesn't sell a lot for them anymore. It may resurge in popularity around the film release, but ultimately stuff like The Walking Dead is FARRRRR more popular and the fans are less embarrassed to buy merchandise.

Yeah!
The Hot Topic I tend to go to carries Rick and Morty, Free!, Gravity Falls, a few pieces of MLP (it's dying down though, it's not a hot topic anymore), superheroes, Harry Potter, Fallout, etc.

Eh, Hot Topic pretty much jumps around with random things, probably weird market research stuff. There are many things there that don't seem 'hot' at all, but still are being sold. MLP stuff, yeah, that is basically gone, for no real reason too as the fandom is still massive. It isn't at its peak, but it is still huge. 

Oh well, there is always the glorious internet. 

My local hot topic still has a bunch of pony stuff, including shirts, keychains, and even some plushies. I guess this particular location is still selling lots of ponies?

Probably because you're the one buying them.

• Brohoof 1

Probably because you're the one buying them.

Actually, I mostly go in there to look, because everything in there is too expensive for me. I've only purchased one pony plushie from them.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when I first became a Brony, and I saw all kinds of pony merch at Hot Topic. But I was broke, so I couldn't buy anything. Fast forward a couple months when I got a job, and it was all gone.

I only managed to snag a couple of MLP shirts, and that was because I cheated and starred "My Little Pony" on the customer suggestions list a bunch of times.

Edited by GeekySonic

• 4 years later...

Currently the "Stress is good for you" topic here on the forum is marked as "hot topic". I went in there and it was a huge fight and debate about things. I would say, it was pretty hot!