Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MasterCode

With Chapter 5 of Make Your Marks many reveals, one of the most notable is confirming the timeline between Twilight ruling all Equestria to the G5. Stay tuned as we analyze how long it's been since the Princess of Friendships reign.

• Brohoof 1

Eh...we really ought not to pay much heed to G5's fanficy attempt to tie the two generations together.  I think the nods to Moondancer and Canterlot are subtle enough that they don't have to be the same characters...because if they are then the transition between generations is even worse fanfic than we thought.  It's a good thing G5 can't possibly be canon to G4.  

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-10-08 at 3:10 AM, AlbaTross said:

.  It's a good thing G5 can't possibly be canon to G4.  

That headcanon has been outright killed early on G5’s lifespan 

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

That headcanon has been outright killed early on G5’s lifespan 

You mean, it has been strengthened tenfold.  That's clearly not what Twilight Sparkle looks like at the end of FiM.  I have an idea why they didn't go that route, as, like with many things, they wouldn't want to animate that Twilight in 3D.  However, that just proves that the events that led to G5 did not happen in our Twilight's timeline.  

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, AlbaTross said:

You mean, it has been strengthened tenfold.  That's clearly not what Twilight Sparkle looks like at the end of FiM.  I have an idea why they didn't go that route, as, like with many things, they wouldn't want to animate that Twilight in 3D.  However, that just proves that the events that led to G5 did not happen in our Twilight's timeline.  

Could also be  that she gave up most of her magic, reverting her to her most well known for as an in-universe explanation. But we all know it’s because of marketing 

13 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Could also be  that she gave up most of her magic, reverting her to her most well known for as an in-universe explanation. But we all know it’s because of marketing 

Unlikely.  The other princesses have had their magic drained, and not once did they start to look like everyday ponies.  

Yep, it's definitely about marketing, and that's why it's not very deep bruh.  Any effort expended to try and tie the two series together is token at best.  

1 hour ago, AlbaTross said:

Any effort expended to try and tie the two series together is token at best.  

That argument held water for a very short time, until that scene. It’s impossible to deny G5 is a sequel to FIM since

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

That argument held water for a very short time, until that scene. It’s impossible to deny G5 is a sequel to FIM since

Incorrect.  As I've pointed out, Twilight doesn't look like that anymore, so that's pretty decent evidence that the two series are not in the same universe.  On top of that, the box Opaline owns that is apparently the one that made the castle in FiM doesn't match.  I suppose the evidence isn't definitive, but it's stronger than any of the evidence the series has presented that link the series, which holds no water unless you can point out some definitive proof I've missed for these universes being the same.  At the end of the day, the onus is on the storytellers if they want us to buy into their plot points.  

8 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Incorrect.  As I've pointed out, Twilight doesn't look like that anymore, so that's pretty decent evidence that the two series are not in the same universe.  

Sorry, but that’s a weak argument, and I’ve already pointed out possible magical ways, as they’ve done since forever, she could have reverted

8 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

On top of that, the box Opaline owns that is apparently the one that made the castle in FiM doesn't match.  

Regardless if it’s the real chest or a fake, G5 handles a different art style. Not matching 100% is a weak argument. G5 is a sequel, no discussion. The evidence is overwhelming

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Sorry, but that’s a weak argument, and I’ve already pointed out possible magical ways, as they’ve done since forever, she could have reverted

Regardless if it’s the real chest or a fake, G5 handles a different art style. Not matching 100% is a weak argument. G5 is a sequel, no discussion. The evidence is overwhelming

And I pointed out that there is no precedent in FiM to support your speculation, so no offence, but my argument is stronger than what you presented.  I'll also add the tons of miscellaneous things that don't make sense and are near impossible for anyone to make them make sense.  On their own, they may not be strong evidence, but together, they're pretty compelling evidence that the worlds of G5 and G4 aren't the same.  

G5 is not a direct sequel.  No discussion.  The evidence is weak and/or non-existent.  If you have compelling evidence, please present it, as you have failed to do so thus far.

By the way, my "weak" arguments turned out to be very popular in a similar discussion on Reddit: 

With all due respect, may I ask you something?  Why are you going to bat for a company that won't go to bat for itself?  Why are you expending more effort trying to defend this aspect of their writing than they have put into writing it?  What is it about this pile of horse dung that you're so in love with that you desperately need to grasp at straws to defend it?  Admitting this particular plot point is trash doesn't mean you can't like other aspects of G5 you know.  

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, AlbaTross said:

And I pointed out that there is no precedent in FiM to support your speculation, so no offence, but my argument is stronger than what you presented.  I'll also add the tons of miscellaneous things that don't make sense and are near impossible for anyone to make them make sense.  On their own, they may not be strong evidence, but together, they're pretty compelling evidence that the worlds of G5 and G4 aren't the same.  

G5 is not a direct sequel.  No discussion.  The evidence is weak and/or non-existent.  If you have compelling evidence, please present it, as you have failed to do so thus far.

By the way, my "weak" arguments turned out to be very popular in a similar discussion on Reddit: 

With all due respect, may I ask you something?  Why are you going to bat for a company that won't go to bat for itself?  Why are you expending more effort trying to defend this aspect of their writing than they have put into writing it?  What is it about this pile of horse dung that you're so in love with that you desperately need to grasp at straws to defend it?  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but facts are facts. Having an Easter egg here and there , and word from the writers would be small things; but a big magical holographic message from nerd poneh herself kills any doubt, not to mention Opaline herself and her constant rants about Twi screwing up her plans. G5 is basically the MLP Beast Wars

21 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but facts are facts. Having an Easter egg here and there , and word from the writers would be small things; but a big magical holographic message from nerd poneh herself kills any doubt, not to mention Opaline herself and her constant rants about Twi screwing up her plans. G5 is basically the MLP Beast Wars

That is your opinion, and I'm sorry, but the holographic message doesn't kill all doubt, as I've demonstrated that it has actually provided me with further basis for my headcanon.  You still haven't told me why you like this garbage plot point though.  Also, Beast Wars is awesome, and much better written, so the comparisons aren't really 1:1.  

Oh, I forgot to acknowledge your argument about the box.  Sorry, but a different animation style shouldn't mean the keyholes can't match up.  That's a symptom of laziness and/or corner cutting in the animation department, and not one of switching to 3D.  Case in point, the two shots of the box in that Chapter 4 episode don't even match each other.  

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

That is your opinion, and I'm sorry, but the holographic message doesn't kill all doubt, as I've demonstrated that it has actually provided me with further basis for my headcanon.  

That would be logical if it was a completely new character, but it was Twilight Sparkle herself

19 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

Oh, I forgot to acknowledge your argument about the box.  Sorry, but a different animation style shouldn't mean the keyholes can't match up.  That's a symptom of laziness and/or corner cutting in the animation department, and not one of switching to 3D.  Case in point, the two shots of the box in that Chapter 4 episode don't even match each other.  

Animation mistakes happen

16 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

That would be logical if it was a completely new character, but it was Twilight Sparkle herself

Animation mistakes happen

And it’s clearly not the same Twilight from FiM, so yes it is logical.  Also, you’re the first person I’ve come across who is so throughly convinced by such a poorly thought out segment, while myself and 110 others are not.

And animation mistakes can provide great support for headcanons.  I suppose not having the genuine box isn’t evidence that Opaline is from a different universe, but it does debunk the notion that it can be used as evidence for her being from the same universe.  

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

And it’s clearly not the same Twilight from FiM, so yes it is logical.  Also, you’re the first person I’ve come across who is so throughly convinced by such a poorly thought out segment, while myself and 110 others are not.

1-110 people share that opinion, but that’s an insignificant part of the fandom overall, as we are still millions 

2- stating that an opinion is correct based on numbers is fallacious, as they can still be wrong. Just ask those three hundred “experts” who said protests are exempt from COVID lockdowns because it’s the moral thing to do or whatever, or those who invested in crypto or NFTs, or Germany close to a century ago…

Edited by Steve Piranha

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

1-110 people share that opinion, but that’s an insignificant part of the fandom overall, as we are still millions 

2- stating that an opinion is correct based on numbers is fallacious, as they can still be wrong. Just ask those three hundred “experts” who said protests are exempt from COVID lockdowns because it’s the moral thing to do or whatever, or those who invested in crypto or NFTs, or Germany close to a century ago…

One person is a far more insignificant part of the overall fandom, so the current sampling frame is not in your favour.  You are correct that proper indicative research should involve repeat studies.  The current data suggests my opinion is the more popular one though.

You are correct that popularity in and of itself is not empirical evidence that a view is correct, but quite a few people in that discussion have presented their own compelling arguments.  You on the other hand have yet to come up with a single one.  Maybe you can pick one of theirs to deconstruct?  

Dude, with all due respect, just take the L if you’re going to waste my time with your weak sauce retorts.  

30 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

One person is a far more insignificant part of the overall fandom, so the current sampling frame is not in your favour.  

I’m sure I’m far from the only one who isn’t ignoring the big magic holographic purple horse

30 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

You are correct that popularity in and of itself is not empirical evidence that a view is correct, but quite a few people in that discussion have presented their own compelling arguments.  

You on the other hand have yet to come up with a single one.  Maybe you can pick one of theirs to deconstruct?  

Uh… big magic holographic purple horse…… on video.

one picture is worth a thousand words

one video is made with thousands of pictures. 

And we got Alicorn fillies

So no, sorry. I don’t need to waste time as the evidence of the contrary is highly overwhelming. 

18 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I’m sure I’m far from the only one who isn’t ignoring the big magic holographic purple horse

Uh… big magic holographic purple horse…… on video.

one picture is worth a thousand words

one video is made with thousands of pictures. 

And we got Alicorn fillies

So no, sorry. I don’t need to waste time as the evidence of the contrary is highly overwhelming. 

Finally, you've presented something new.  I'm going to ignore your repost of the first video as that and the points you're making about it are nothing new, but this is something you haven't shown before.  

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced by that other scene either, because there's nothing to indicate that those are FiM's prime-universe's Celestia and Luna.  If the Twilight in the first scene is an offshoot universe Twilight then it would follow that the Celestia and Luna in that scene are likewise.  Still, credit where it is due, you do have fresh material.  I'm glad you think the evidence for your position is overwhelming, but I'm not convinced, so you'll have to try a bit harder.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

Finally, you've presented something new.  I'm going to ignore your repost of the first video as that and the points you're making about it are nothing new, but this is something you haven't shown before.  

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced by that other scene either, because there's nothing to indicate that those are FiM's prime-universe's Celestia and Luna.  If the Twilight in the first scene is an offshoot universe Twilight then it would follow that the Celestia and Luna in that scene are likewise.  Still, credit where it is due, you do have fresh material.  I'm glad you think the evidence for your position is overwhelming, but I'm not convinced, so you'll have to try a bit harder.

Is there anything indicating those are not the FIM horses we know and love?

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Is there anything indicating those are not the FIM horses we know and love?

Yes.  Twilight stopped looking like the way she does in the hologram years prior to the last song.

One thing we do know though, is that there is more than one Twilight, more than one Celestia and more than one Luna.  The ones we see in G5 could easily be from an alternate universe.  

Ok, you presented new material, so I owe you something new too.  Fine then.  Everything about Twilight taking magic away from Equestria is just out of character for her.  Heck, Tara Strong's performance in that holo scene just sounds phoned in, as if even she wasn't feeling it, but did it anyways for the paycheck.  

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Yes.  Twilight stopped looking like the way she does in the hologram years prior to the last song.

Again, marketing with easy ways to explain it in-universe with magic and all that

One thing we do know though, is that there is more than one Twilight, more than one Celestia and more than one Luna.  The ones we see in G5 could easily be from an alternate universe.  

I have yet to see any evidence of that

Ok, you presented new material, so I owe you something new too.  Fine then.  Everything about Twilight taking magic away from Equestria is just out of character for her.  Heck, Tara Strong's performance in that holo scene just sounds phoned in, as if even she wasn't feeling it, but did it anyways for the paycheck.  

That’s an opinion, not substantial evidence. We are dealing with many unknowns about what happened there save the bare minimum, with most a subject of speculation. What’s clear though, Twilight was counting on the eventual restoration of magic. Her faith in her subjects is far from out of character for her

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Again, marketing with easy ways to explain it in-universe with magic and all that

I have yet to see any evidence of that

That’s an opinion, not substantial evidence. We are dealing with many unknowns about what happened there save the bare minimum, with most a subject of speculation. What’s clear though, Twilight was counting on the eventual restoration of magic. Her faith in her subjects is far from out of character for her

Marketing is not an in-universe reason, and no there aren’t easy in-universe explanations unless you present one, with evidence.  The conjecture you presented previously has no precedence in FiM, so I’m assuming you have new material?

There are literally alternate futures explored in the Season 5 finale of FiM, and the comics dive even deeper into alternate realities/timelines by really doubling down on the whole multiverse thing.  EQG is an alternate universe.  There’s plenty of room for G5 to be in an alternate universe.  

The opinion that this is all in the same universe is not backed with substantial evidence either, because I agree that Hasbro forced the writers and producers of G5 to haphazardly throw these scenes and plot points in with the minimal writing possible, and it shows.  

Until it all makes sense, I stand by my assertions that these universes cannot be the same.  Thanks for admitting this is trash writing though.  Remind me why you’re going to bat for it again?  This is not your fight.  It’s Hasbro’s, and it’s 100% their job to convince us that everything lines up, and so far they’ve done a very terrible job.  I still don’t understand why you’re so in love with this subpar storytelling.  

It is out of character for Twilight to come up with such a stupid plan.  She’s far more intelligent than that.  Plus, far too many things that allegedly occurred as a consequence just don’t add up.  

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Marketing is not an in-universe reason, and no there aren’t easy in-universe explanations unless you present one, with evidence.  The conjecture you presented previously has no precedence in FiM, so I’m assuming you have new material?

Read again. Real life reason being marketing, with countless ways  in-universe for Twi to end up like that

There are literally alternate futures explored in the Season 5 finale of FiM, and the comics dive even deeper into alternate realities/timelines by really doubling down on the whole multiverse thing.  EQG is an alternate universe.  There’s plenty of room for G5 to be in an alternate universe.  

That doesn’t explain why G5 is an alternate universe

The opinion that this is all in the same universe is not backed with substantial evidence either, 

It’s not an opinion. It’s just there’s no real reason for this being an alternate universe in the first place. Might as well season 2 of FIM is from an alternate universe from S1

because I agree that Hasbro forced the writers and producers of G5 to haphazardly throw these scenes and plot points 

As far as we know, it’s closer that the writers love FIM and wanted to link G5 to G4

The opinion that this is all in the same universe is not backed with substantial evidence either, because I agree that Hasbro forced the writers and producers of G5 to haphazardly throw these scenes and plot points in with the minimal writing possible, and it shows.  

Until it all makes sense, I stand by my assertions that these universes cannot be the same.  Thanks for admitting this is trash writing though.  Remind me why you’re going to bat for it again?  This is not your fight.  It’s Hasbro’s, and it’s 100% their job to convince us that everything lines up, and so far they’ve done a very terrible job.  I still don’t understand why you’re so in love with this subpar storytelling.  

You expecting the whole show script to be released?

It is out of character for Twilight to come up with such a stupid plan.  She’s far more intelligent than that.  Plus, far too many things that allegedly occurred as a consequence just don’t add up.  

It’s interesting calling Twilight’s actions that led to G5 stupid, considering we don’t know any context at all of the backstory 

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Read again. Real life reason being marketing, with countless ways  in-universe for Twi to end up like that

That doesn’t explain why G5 is an alternate universe

It’s not an opinion. It’s just there’s no real reason for this being an alternate universe in the first place. Might as well season 2 of FIM is from an alternate universe from S1

As far as we know, it’s closer that the writers love FIM and wanted to link G5 to G4

You expecting the whole show script to be released?

It’s interesting calling Twilight’s actions that led to G5 stupid, considering we don’t know any context at all of the backstory 

Real life reasons are irrelevant.  If there are in-universe ways for Twi to end up like that, list some or abandon that line of reasoning.  

Half-cutie marks, a sun and moon that don’t need to be manually manipulated, a complete lack of familiar locations, and the complete absence of any other creatures from FiM plus the presence of some that aren’t in FiM do explain why G5 is in an alternate universe though.

Now you’re just being ridiculous, as S2 is clearly a direct continuation of S1, while it’s plain as day that G5 isn’t even set in the same Equestria.  

If the writers truly loved FiM they would have left it alone, though I don’t actually think the decision was theirs.  Regardless, what they wrote is a giant middle finger, which is odd for something you’re convinced they love.  

No, the show’s entire script doesn’t need to be released, but a good story would have explained all of this BS by now.  

You’re right, this entire plot thread is stupid, so I shouldn’t just single out Twilight’s actions.  

• Brohoof 1