Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Argyle Confirmed Dead by G5 Movie Director in Interview

Misty Shadow

Among other things that were recently confirmed by one of the movie's two directors in an interview was that Argyle did in fact die. 

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/12/notes-from-spanish-language-interview.html

Other noteworthy comments are confirmation of Sunny not actually being an alicorn, a lack of cutie marks on both sides being an artistic decision, rather than a corporate decision from Hasbro, and explicit denial of the movie having an agenda. Elaboration of the reason for Argyle's death in the full interview revolved around them wanting to affirm Sunny's resolve, solidifying that she was not doing what she did just because her father told her to do it. 

Honestly surprised I'm the first one to share this, since this is some pretty big development that will affect a lot of G5 discussions going forward. The biggest one besides Sunny not actually being an alicorn, even as some had already speculated that it was just a magical effect, being Argyle's death. They truly did intend to go the Applejack's parents route with him, let us send him our warmest regards. :blush:

• Brohoof 1

I mean the movie laid it out pretty thick, but at least they’re still open about it right now instead of dragging it for 7 seasons 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

…And we are surprised by this?

Pretty sure we all knew he was dead.

I didn't mean to imply that it was surprising. What would surprise you, considering your reaction, is that some people were genuinely invested in the idea of him still being alive. I wasn't one of them, but Argyle does have his fans who were clinging to that faint possibility. Thus it is the most impactful confirmation. 

• Brohoof 2

lt was clear that he was deceased given that we didn't see him again after the first few minutes and that Sunny referred to him in a past tense. We won't now the exact details as Hasbro doesn't enjoy exposing such things so we're left to speculate. Sunny not being an alicorn is surprising but t does make some sense.

• Brohoof 2

Why is that even a question? Of course he died! And I kind of knew deep down that Sunny wasn’t a real alicorn. It didn’t take three years like it did with Twilight from the time she met her friends, it took Sunny less than a week after she met Izzy! I knew the wings and horn looked a bit off. 

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

…And we are surprised by this?

Pretty sure we all knew he was dead.

Because, according to some of the concept staff, Argyle was originally supposed reappear by the end of the movie as he was just locked up in (a secret?) jail by Sprout the whole time, but it was scratched due to time, which gave the assumption that Argyle was only assumed to be dead for the movie due to having been missing for so long.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

So dark. Was there ever a need for him to even exist? I am sure Izzy didn't need any parents, so Sunny should have been fine by her own.

• Brohoof 2

Admittedly I held out hope he was alive, but there yah go. We shall see how G5 plays with this going into the future.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...