Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

April 2024 Art Contest Voting

Trot Shuffle

April 2024 Art Contest Poll  

31 users have voted

1. 1. Which artwork is your favorite for April 2024?

• Submission 1
    • Submission 2
    • Submission 3
    • Submission 4
    • Submission 5
    • Submission 6
    • Submission 7
    • Submission 8
    • Submission 9
    • Submission 10
    • Submission 11
    • Submission 12
    • Submission 13
    • Submission 14

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2024-05-01 at 12:00 AM

12 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Haha I appreciate the sentiment, my art is Submission 8. It was a little rushed as this month has been very busy with work and medical treatments, but I think it came out alright :bedeyes:

I'm not against nicknames, and I appreciate the sentiment! ;)

Considering the submission is already up with votes, I would imagine removing it now would be problematic. Of course, if there was no specific rule against it, then it would merely be something to consider in future art competitions. :dash:

Though I feel it's pretty harmless, Collage is still a form of art, and the people will decide on what should win in a contest. I wouldn't take anything anyone says here to heart, nobody is attacking you in particular, there was just a misunderstanding at some point, as after your submission was placed, someone had asked whether that style of art was allowed, but we did not get a direct answer before the submission date closed. So you'll be fine. :mlp_smug:

I'm no mod/admin though, it is up to them to decide on the rules, but that is my opinion of the whole debacle. :bedeyes:

Good opinion to have >_>

• smile 1

1 hour ago, TechnoZ said:

Well, Submission 2 (Thats mine..) is NOT Vector-Drawn. Yes. I took from Google Pictures and cut them Together with some Edit. So what? If that dosn't count as "ART" then define it. Also its kinda rude (imo) for ppl who want to Participate but cannot do vector stuff or draw at all... but hey, if you wanna disqualify me, its okay, i can accept that... cuz now i dont care less...

• Oops wrong person... I guess i didnt know who really did it:Sunny-huh: i thought it was sparkle fan!:Pip-giggle:
  • True.... But there isa rile in the contest. So if you didn't break it then its good.
  • Delighted Giggle 1

1 hour ago, TechnoZ said:

Well, Submission 2 (Thats mine..) is NOT Vector-Drawn. Yes. I took from Google Pictures and cut them Together with some Edit. So what? If that dosn't count as "ART" then define it. Also its kinda rude (imo) for ppl who want to Participate but cannot do vector stuff or draw at all... but hey, if you wanna disqualify me, its okay, i can accept that... cuz now i dont care less...

Please don't be hard on yourself :coco:

Anyone regardless of their skill level or preferred art method is allowed to participate! This isn't exclusively for people who already "know" how to do art. :fluttershy:

47 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Considering the submission is already up with votes, I would imagine removing it now would be problematic. Of course, if there was no specific rule against it, then it would merely be something to consider in future art competitions. :dash:

Though I feel it's pretty harmless, Collage is still a form of art, and the people will decide on what should win in a contest. I wouldn't take anything anyone says here to heart, nobody is attacking you in particular, there was just a misunderstanding at some point, as after your submission was placed, someone had asked whether that style of art was allowed, but we did not get a direct answer before the submission date closed. So you'll be fine. :mlp_smug:

I agree with collages being a form of art! The problem is permission regarding the source material. I know there's many out there who may make a vector (or anything, really) and it gets used without their permission for someone else's work (assuming they don't explicitly state anyone can use it freely). That's what I'm a little iffy about, so it would need more time on my part to figure out.

I'm not against someone making different art then turning it into a collage out of those. That would be perfectly fine! Again, it's the sourcing of other people's work, especially without their permission, that's the issue. :sealed:

The art contests (revival) are still very new, so it's a lot of help actually to bring this stuff up. I never considered anyone submitting a collage before but I'll clarify this for the next art contest, thank you everyone. :coco:

12 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

Oh I got it now, so there was no specification indeed (copyright issues you said, Evil Pink One :lie:), I personally really don't agree with that but if it's allowed then that's how the game works and i respect it, just think they should specify it in the announcement post, but okay :mlp_huh:

I must've completely missed someone asking about it before, my bad. :blush: For me, it's less about copyright and more about courtesy!

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

3 hours ago, Trot Shuffle said:

Anyone regardless of their skill level or preferred art method is allowed to participate! This isn't exclusively for people who already "know" how to do art.

I see what you did there:devious: sassy...

3 hours ago, Trot Shuffle said:

must've completely missed someone asking about it before, my bad. :blush: For me, it's less about copyright and more about courtesy!

Hmmmm the copy right is there for a reason... Because courtesy aint gonna do alot for you in the long run...

About this collage ...... I dont mind if you make a collage that the source material is made by you.... But if you didnt make it and you won... Then you should give credit to the ones you took it from.

Because if someone made a collage of my art and won and got a lot of money id be pissed.

If they didn't probably be fine but id feel disturbed. Like goosebumps and what not.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

12 hours ago, Trot Shuffle said:

I agree with collages being a form of art! The problem is permission regarding the source material. I know there's many out there who may make a vector (or anything, really) and it gets used without their permission for someone else's work (assuming they don't explicitly state anyone can use it freely). That's what I'm a little iffy about, so it would need more time on my part to figure out.

I'm not against someone making different art then turning it into a collage out of those. That would be perfectly fine! Again, it's the sourcing of other people's work, especially without their permission, that's the issue. :sealed:

The art contests (revival) are still very new, so it's a lot of help actually to bring this stuff up. I never considered anyone submitting a collage before but I'll clarify this for the next art contest, thank you everyone. :coco:

That's a very good point! I have run a few art contests in the past (unrelated to ponies) so if you would like to talk more in private about future events then I'm more than happy to discuss ideas! (As long as I'm not blocked from entering... lol) I am very happy to see this has returned, and it's expected to have teething problems early on in development. Whatever happens though, we'll follow the rules!

8 hours ago, Evil Pink One said:

About this collage ...... I dont mind if you make a collage that the source material is made by you.... But if you didnt make it and you won... Then you should give credit to the ones you took it from.

Because if someone made a collage of my art and won and got a lot of money id be pissed.

If they didn't probably be fine but id feel disturbed. Like goosebumps and what not.

That's not a bad way of going about it, if you do use official renders of characters in your work, then perhaps stating that up-front and giving credit would be a good way of going about it.
Or, since we have quite a few banner artists, if enough people are interested then we could have separate submissions for this style of art, a different art competition, or something along those lines?... Or maybe add a rule that they need to be edited in some way, some people have a special talent for SFX rather than drawing.

There's quite a few ways of going about this besides outright banning it, but it'll probably take time and testing to figure it out.

4 hours ago, Lawyer Slip said:

*sigh.* Once again, I have been bested.

Ah well. Always next time.

Aww don't worry buddy, the competition is not over yet! Last month we had votes coming in until the last minute!

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

15 hours ago, Wizard said:

Haha I appreciate the sentiment, my art is Submission 8. It was a little rushed as this month has been very busy with work and medical treatments, but I think it came out alright

It's amazing, you did a great job! Especially considering you didn't have much time to make it due to irl stuff! Rarity would be proud and Opalescence would be Opalescence :Pip-giggle: 

I hope those medical treatments are going well too, and work. Sounds stressful having to do both, glad you have art to enjoy making though.

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

It's amazing, you did a great job! Especially considering you didn't have much time to make it due to irl stuff! Rarity would be proud and Opalescence would be Opalescence :Pip-giggle: 

I hope those medical treatments are going well too, and work. Sounds stressful having to do both, glad you have art to enjoy making though.

Thanks! And yes it has been a handful, but I always push through with a smile! :PIPPIPHURRAY:

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

I give up. I thank the 5 users who voted for me (Submission 12), but if anyone still intends to vote for me, I ask you not to. Congratulations to Wizard and everyone who participated in this contest, your performance exceeded my expectations, I'm proud of everyone's work, the artistic side of this site is apparently full of energy and there's still a lot to show, I'm satisfied. :squee: @Trot Shuffle I'm not going to ask because I don't know if this is allowed, but if my drawing continues to be the second one with the most votes, I would like you to actually give the second place to the third one who got the most votes (which so far is tied), thank you :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

46 minutes ago, Rafa Stary said:

I give up. I thank the 5 users who voted for me (Submission 12), but if anyone still intends to vote for me, I ask you not to. Congratulations to Wizard and everyone who participated in this contest, your performance exceeded my expectations, I'm proud of everyone's work, the artistic side of this site is apparently full of energy and there's still a lot to show, I'm satisfied. :squee: @Trot Shuffle I'm not going to ask because I don't know if this is allowed, but if my drawing continues to be the second one with the most votes, I would like you to actually give the second place to the third one who got the most votes (which so far is tied), thank you :fluttershy:

As it's my piece that is currently tied in third place, I would prefer to just remain there if that's where my piece is finishing. If my piece is going to get second place, then I'd rather it be by votes than simply inheriting. Otherwise it'll just be an empty achievement for me. :coco:

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

It's a nice sentiment, but I do agree with @Treeglow Flicker , earning an achievement is special! It never feels right when it's given to you. Everyone will have their chance to submit again next month!

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

Refused the opportunity so you can continue trying even harder, this is the decision that someone really honest and determined makes, perfect :ticking:

Also, I lied about not voting, I voted nyeheheh :mlp_please: Submission #13! 

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Shocked 2

.... There are only 31 votes.......

Why? I was expecting more... Dont get me wrong but congratulations to 8. But i already called it. I know who's gonna win, and i dont like wasting my votes so i vote who deserves it.

But still..... Why we have so view voters? 

I think we need to advertise this more. Im guessing a lot of people in the forum has not seen this.... Or a lot didnt care so much....

But still a total of 31 votes only?.... 🤔 

Also can we have a rule to not say what art we made?

Let the art tell who made them.

Favoritism and spite might affect the votes.

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

Hey everyone, I'll formally announce the winners soon. Please don't worry! And yes, the next art contest will be posted around the same time within this upcoming weekend. I just need to finish dealing with something IRL first :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Excited 2