Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Octavia's Hall Critics

Killian Jones

The problem I see with this is that second you make something official, people want in. People like being part of something official, it gives a sense of power. Now I'm not saying that everyone who applies is doing it simply so they can be official, but we will undoubtedly get people who will. Also, official critics will probably be seen as being above non-official critics, simply because they are official. Also also, some official critics would likely see themselves as being above non-official critics for the same reason.

As the old saying goes, those who try to gain a position of power probably shouldn't be allowed to.

To summarize, making an official critic team will probably create more problems then just saying "hey, you should all go critique more instead of just saying 'nice art, bro' and leaving it at that." and stickying it in octavia's hall.

The only way I can combat this, is that I have just applied myself. You're asked to give a sample of a critique, what you would critique on, a little blurb about yourself etc. In my opinion, people can always fudge what they want to put on there (like a resume) but I feel it's a very adequate way of weeding out the power hungry.

I, myself, personally just enjoy critiquing but I also need structure and rules in order to stay faithful to it. If I have a reason, such as status, to go on and give genuine critiques on people's art work (ponies or not) then I'll stick to my guns and do it. I have no reason to half-ass work like that and I certainly would not want that in return. Respect begets respect, etc.

Anyway! I think being part of this critique squad should have consequences such as:

• If you are caught abusing your power you will be let go
  • Any sign of rudeness towards artists and 'non-official' critiques will result in your being let go
  • If you are not active within a certain time/do not critique, you will be let go
  • Any form is biased remarks will result in your being let go
Etc, etc. I completely agree with what you're saying. Human mentality is not above trying for a position just to gain some form of superiority, but I feel like it can be dealt with like Swift Justice with Jackie Glass.
  • Brohoof 3

Ah shucks this is really something I would like to do but you guys probably aren't interested in a blank flank huh? I actually joined today specifically to collaborate with the musicians on here.

• Brohoof 1

A question that I have myself being a writer and a musician, Would these critiquers be required to do critiques in All areas of the Halls? or would people that specialize in certain areas be able to work in those areas. I am a great judge of music, being a composer/performer myself and I'm also a writer. So I can critique Stories without any issues as well. Drawings on the other hand, I would be able to give next to no advice on because I myself cannot draw.

Also Something that I could recommend to go along with this is a C-System. What this is, is a system that lets Critiquers know what level or Critique the OP is going for. C-1 would be a casual writing just looking for General feed back. C-3 would be middle ground for people that are looking for a more balanced Critique, and then C-5 where they want everyone to be as analytical as possible because it is a work they are serious about and/or are going to be attempting to publish. That would help out everyone I think.

-snip-

If I am correct (and judging by the application form), then you only critique in areas you are comfortable with.

And even though you are most familiar with writing and music, it is still possible to critique drawing and other arts. Certainly in not the same fashion as a person that knows that area of expertise, but sometimes feedback from someone outside of the same field brings a new perspective and insight.

I have applied to critique for the music section of octavia's hall. Critique is something that is best done by your peers and colleagues. It's a learning process not a judgement and lots of people forget this simple fact. Teachers are here to teach you how to use the tools of the trade. You learn and grow with your colleagues, take ideas and offer constructive criticism and support. Also it seems that many people also need to remember that if someone offers you advice and you don't agree, you don't need to use it. We're all here to share our works and we share them because we want to hear what the world thinks about it. :D

• Brohoof 4

Ah shucks this is really something I would like to do but you guys probably aren't interested in a blank flank huh? I actually joined today specifically to collaborate with the musicians on here.

It is not as much about your rank, though it helps. It is about how one carries oneself on the forums. With the way I carry myself, I do not expect to be taken seriously in most things, but I also expect people to know when I'm not joking.

Other people give so much respect. And thus, we return it, usually doubled. You have to give if you wish to take.

We've been needing it for a long time (we had this problem way back in October too). I'd love to join, but I don't exactly have any artistic know - how, so I wouldn't be able to help with any of the technical stuff. Thank's for taking charge and organizing this group, I think it'll work out splendidly!

Being a poet greatly searching for criticism of his work I look forward to such a thing, I may have to start posting my poems here again.

(edited)

Splendid! I thought this forum needed a bit more of this! I hope I get approved, I'm looking forward to this

by the way, when/how will we be notified if we get approved?

Edited by WiponCat

We've been going through the applications, albeit a bit slowly I will admit. We'll be sending our some messages once we've determined the group we're going to go with.

• Brohoof 3

Well I would like to do that, but I don't see myself as a that great artist. I think that to be a good critic that people will listen to you must be a great artist, otherwise people won't listen to you.

But I love the idea of a team of critics! I would very much appreciate that team if I post some of my work :)

They are still working on it. There have been a lot of replies to this thread, so you can be sure there are people who applied that didn't post here. They also need to organize who will be in charge of it. The new moderators allow them to do this, but they are also making it hard to determine who will be in charge of what. There is a lot at work here. You have to know what's happening behind the scenes.

Has our moderating team been know to slack off?

Nearly 5 weeks from thread's original creation date ... and quite a few from the last update.

Can we get an update please?

Right now we're about 95% complete. All but three applications have been marked as approved or denied, right now we're mostly just waiting on a couple people to respond to request for follow-up applications.

Apologies for the slow roll-out and lack of updates - this has admittedly ended up being a 'back burner' project of sorts compared to a number of other things that we've been working on. Thankfully though, the end is finally in sight.

• Brohoof 2

Right now we're about 95% complete. All but three applications have been marked as approved or denied, right now we're mostly just waiting on a couple people to respond to request for follow-up applications.

Apologies for the slow roll-out and lack of updates - this has admittedly ended up being a 'back burner' project of sorts compared to a number of other things that we've been working on. Thankfully though, the end is finally in sight.

Excellent, thank you for the update.

I realize it's a low-priority task, especially due to the other events that have recently transpired ... I'm just interested to see this project come to fruition.

As an aside, it would be fair to assume that those who have sent in an application but not received any word was rejected, correct? At least for the majority of people ... and not including the few applicants you have to shift through still.