Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Finding motivation to write

Shadow Chaser

So I recently tested myself with a small fanfic and quickly fell back in love with writing and making up stories that were all my own. I've created an original character that I love to write, and his adventures keep even myself guessing. Writing for the other parts of the Mane 6 that are involved (And in my recent story the CMC) has been challenging but not daunting. I really enjoy all the energy I spend on my work.

That being said... Lately, I'm having a hard time staying motivated to write. I want to. I know where I want my story to head and I've got tons of ideas floating around, but every time I sit down and think about writing I just can't seem to pull myself to it. My feelings toward the stories and my writing haven't changed, I still love it, but something just keeps me from working on it. Like, I sit down and say, "I'm going to spend some time working on this." But as soon as I go to open the story all the wind just blows out of my sails, which is frustrating.

Anyone else ever have this problem? And how do you stay motivated to work on your stories?

I've had this problem before, not with writing, but when i'm trying to animate. Usually I feel like I have a great idea, but then when I actually sit down to get to work, I no longer want to. What I usually do is just force myself to do it, and usually I find that after a while I'm more motivated, and want to continue. So my advice is just to try to sit down and make yourself write. If that doesn't work maybe just try taking short breaks then going back and trying again later.

Find someone to read your stories for you. It's easier to get excited when you're not writing for yourself. Works for me (sometimes).

Actually, as a matter of fact, I've been looking for stuff to read, sooooo...

• Brohoof 1

Self-discipline is a bitch to learn sometimes. I still haven't gotten it, as this happens 90% of the time with me and my writing :P

Use clear objective goals for where your story will go. Writing when your next step is ambiguous makes the job slower and harder. For example, you might think that to achieve your bigger goal of where you want your story to head, the character has to have these series of scenes with these purposes in mind and which characters you are going to use. Motivation is a funny thing because it isn't always linked to how much you want something completed. If you are feeling unmotivated, try writing on a separate document impromptu plans which cover just the rest of the chapter/page/scene. It will assure you that what you write isn't likely to be wasted because you know it is going somewhere. It should also give you motivation because now you know what to do and when you have accomplished it and can keep moving on. Learning how exactly to do it is the actual writing phase, which is often the fun part - how are you going to put this character dangling off a hot air balloon from his current position? Hope that helps.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hope that helps.

That helps quite a bit. And is a great idea. I'll have to try that.

Actually, as a matter of fact, I've been looking for stuff to read, sooooo...

haha Drop me your email in a PM and I'll send you what I have so far. Do know that I'm in the second story of this fella. To read the first one, there's a link to it in my signature. Edited by Shadow Chaser

I have the same thing with anything related to art. What happens to me, though, is an idea I love, love, love pops into my head when I am least expecting it and doing something other than art. I suggest you choose a favorite idea and think of a plot with a beginning, middle, and end. If you can't choose, pick some of your favorites and ask a friend to choose one, cause what happens to me is when My friend chooses it, I start preferring another and soon I'll get the right one.

So, I decided to take your guys' advice and sit down and just write myself to where I wanted to be. I put on Pandora for something to distract me in the background and the first song my Pandora brought up was Eye of the Tiger.

So I enjoyed the irony of it and wrote on. I just finished up for now and I'm WAY past where I was originally going to end (About 10 pages past it) and Pandora has Lose Yourself by Eminem playing. I'll take some humorous irony at the beginning and end of my writing session.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I have that same issue! I am writing/working on a fan fic at all at once I just lose motivation! So I usually just take a long break (sometimes too long) and then evetually wtart back up again, also sometimes I get board of the fic I writing as well, and when you get board of something, it is usually less intresting then if you are enjoying it...I guess that's just one of the perils of writing!