Trixie is not evil!

MallaJong1

I truly believe Trixie is one of the more adorable characters in the show. She is just trying to present a show to Ponyville, but then other ponies have to heckle at her while she tries to please a crowd. Of course she is going to fight back.

(edited)

everything I am hearing here is "she's an entertainer and is putting on a show" This brings me to my first contention. Trixie is using magic to boost herself up and put on a flashy magic show even though one third of the ponies in equestria can to do the same thing. From what i can see, magic should be used to help others and to be used as a skill in whatever your particular special talent is (a la rarity using hers to make dresses). Trixie is using magic specifically for the purpose of justifying her arrogance, which leads me to my second contention...

Trixie is a narcisistic B***. plain and simple. She makes herself out to be mount everest when she is simply a foothill (ursa major anyone?) She speaks in the third person all the time until she is defeated. She literally said, and I quote, "anything you can do, I can do better" to the whole town and MEANT it. Yes, entertainers boast to be the greatest, but even Rainbow Dash doesn't openly mock, ridicule, and threaten other ponies. This leads me to my final contention...

Trixie is a mean spirited bully. She used Rainbow's....rainbow to spin her violently enough to nauseate her and then shocked her with a storm cloud. She ruined Rarity's mane that she works so hard on. AND she literally HOGTIED AppleJack. All the while insulting them and everyone else in in the town.

In conclusion: Trixie DOES represent neutral evil. She is an antagonist and is meant to be an antagonist. If you try to make her out to be a positive character, you are reading WAY to deep into the show and are just plain wrong. there is no legitimate way that a person can actually make Trixie out to be good in any way. sorry.

QED

Edited by sirseansy

(edited)

Who da' hay says Trixie is evil?

I've literally heard no one say that. And I don't joke around when I use "literally".

~snip~

So, you know that rude bitch you knew in high school? Was she evil? No, she was just a rude bitch. There's a difference.

Edited by SonOfTheNorthe

(edited)

everything I am hearing here is "she's an entertainer and is putting on a show" This brings me to my first contention. Trixie is using magic to boost herself up and put on a flashy magic show even though one third of the ponies in equestria can to do the same thing. From what i can see, magic should be used to help others and to be used as a skill in whatever your particular special talent is (a la rarity using hers to make dresses). Trixie is using magic specifically for the purpose of justifying her arrogance, which leads me to my second contention

Trixie is a narcisistic B***. plain and simple. She makes herself out to be mount everest when she is simply a foothill (ursa major anyone?) Yes, entertainers boast to be the greatest, but even Rainbow Dash doesn't openly mock, ridicule, and threaten other ponies.

In conclusion: Trixie DOES represent neutral evil. She is an antagonist and is meant to be an antagonist. If you try to make her out to be a positive character, you are reading WAY to deep into the show and are just plain wrong. there is no legitimate way that a person can actually make Trixie out to be good in any way. sorry.

QED

Well, again, Trixie is not using her magic JUST to boost up her own ego As you can see in the actual episode, Trixie arrives to Ponyville in a carriage with virtually all her belongings. She is a traveling showpony very similar to a traveling circus. Trixie was being boastful to entertain her audience (an audience that WAS actually entertained - as you can see in one clip in which the audience actually laughs when Trixie deals with her hecklers). Evil is the wrong choice of word to describe Trixie. How do you explain Trixie actually trying to save Ponyville when the Ursa Minor arrived? You can say she was trying to save herself, but Trixie actually decided NOT to run away to face the monster. In an earlier clip (before she faces the monster), Trixie is seen trying to run away from the Ursa Minor when it first arrives, so Trixie could have run the whole way. Though Trixie decided to face it head on and by herself. I find Trixie to be heroic in a sense. She was just putting on an act, and a couple of doofuses (Snips and Snails) took her a little too seriously.

Edited by MallaJong1
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

So, you know that rude bitch you knew in high school? Was she evil? No, she was just a rude bitch. There's a difference.

oops. scratch that. Natural evil is a part of the alignment system of D&D. Trixie falls under the neutral evil because she is solely out to get gain and is un-penatent for any bad things she does. She has no regard for others and therefore falls under that category.

Well, again, Trixie is not using her magic JUST to boost up her own ego As you can see in the actual episode, Trixie arrives to Ponyville in a carriage with virtually all her belongings. She is a traveling showpony very similar to a traveling circus. Trixie was being boastful to entertain her audience (an audience that WAS actually entertained - as you can see in one clip in which the audience actually laughs when Trixie deals with her hecklers). Evil is the wrong choice of word to describe Trixie. How do you explain Trixie actually trying to save Ponyville when the Ursa Minor arrived? You can say she was trying to save herself, but Trixie actually decided NOT to run away to face the monster. In an earlier clip (before she faces the monster), Trixie is seen trying to run away from the Ursa Minor when it first arrives, so Trixie could have run the whole way. Though Trixie decided to face it head on and by herself. I find Trixie to be heroic in a sense. She was just putting on an act, and a couple of doofuses (Snips and Snails) took her a little too seriously.

I acknowledge that she did try to face it. However, so would any egotistical jerk that wants to protect their ego. her new found fanclub wanted her to do it and she just HAD to oblige them. Even in the face of failure an arrogant person will risk failure to prove their own perfection.

Howard Stern is an arrogant prick to entertain his audience too. That doesn't magically justify how he treats people like us. Does it?

And Trixie was boastful in real life. It's one thing to be egotistical to entertain, but another thing completely to be egotistical in everyday life.

And again, the picture said NEUTRAL evil. completely different from chaotic evil and lawful evil.

Edited by sirseansy

(edited)

She's not evil, she's just a mean bitch.

She is boastful, egotistical, a liar, etc.

I think she could redeem herself, unlike Gilda (She made Fluttershy cry, that alone is a crime that not even God can punish)

Edited by Teh Boi

My opinion of Trixie?

I agree with a lot of what's in the OP.

And on top of that, I think she's just been a showpony putting on a show all by herself for too long. She doesn't have anypony to talk to, and keep her connected to reality. So she keeps putting on these shows... It's gonna eventually get to her head. And I think that's what's happened here.

She's gotten extremely lonely, maybe even - you can't travel like that, be social, and not be extremely lonely, and she has this show she puts on where she's the amazing, loved, "Great and Powerful Trixie!".

After awhile, or actually, very quickly, her emotional need to feel loved will drive her to start believing the show on an emotional level, even if she doesn't intellectually believe it. She knows it's not real. She knows she hasn't actually beat an Ursa. But emotionally, she forces herself into this fantasy where she has, and in order to confirm it to herself, she has to always be the best there is.

And how that comes off - is that she has to act like she's the best, and continually convince herself she is the best, because at some level, she knows it's a show, and it hurts like Tartarus, and she can't come to terms with it, and with her loneliness.

So she lives the fantasy. She's the "Great and Powerful Trixie", adored by all.

And what happens when the Mane 6 deny that? She's terribly threatened. Given that emotional setup, I'd say she responded very modestly.

What's Ironic, is that this very thing she's used to deal with the pain of her loneliness - is also the thing that keeps her lonely. Even if she does have adoring fans - that's all they are - fans - and she's on a completely different level than they are, meaning a heartfelt eye-to-eye relationship is neigh impossible, which is really what she's dying for.

And the fact that those who claim to love her the most - adoring fans like Snips and Snails - really don't love her on an eye-to-eye level, is just rubbing salt in the wound; "you'll always be alone" it says. "Even when you succeed greatly, and get all you work so hard for, it'll never be what you want." - and the biggest thing is she probably isn't even fully aware of it, but feels it very strongly.

Which is why she's irritated by them, and drives them off, even when they brought her a smoothie and are her adoring fans.

So where does that put Trixie?

Well, she's in-between a rock and a hard place.

Just imagine that loneliness - everyone here at least has the forums, but not Trixie, she has not a single pony in the world to talk to, about anything other than showing off her show. You can imagine why she'd begin to believe it rather quickly.

But that aside, she has nopony to be her true, heartfelt self to, and that makes her extremely lonely. Over time, it only gets worse, so she plays the beloved "Great and Powerful" so she can create a sense of adoration and self-worth and even a confirmation of her worthiness.

Yet she knows on an intellectual level that it's all just a show. So it still hurts. But she can't possibly stop, because it's numbing some of the pain. Consciously, this would only come off as an overpowering urge to keep performing. And as long as she performs, though, to avoid facing her true, much weaker, smaller, less worthy self, she also makes herself more lonely. Not to mention - she's probably even forgotten how to socialize around other ponies except for her "Great and Powerful" self. That's her "social script", how she knows to behave around other ponies, which makes it even harder for her to break free.

Even if you walked up, and offered the key to her escape - a strong friendship - she wouldn't know how to respond except to put you below her with her act - which would simultaneously destroy that eye-to-eye friendship she wants.

But I digress.

Where is she now, after S1E6?

Unless she's really deluded herself to the point of insanity, then I believe that very likely puts her here:

Posted Image

You could say it's all speculation - and you'd be right - but IMO, it explains Trixie best, and is pretty much the only explanation for why she is the way she is.

It's pretty well established that it goes beyond being a show for her (even woken up in the middle of the night, she refers to herself in 3rd person as "The Great and Powerful Trixie", not to mention Snips and Snails taking her a smoothie after the show) - and IMO, this mental setup is inevitable if she keeps putting on those shows all by herself, which canonically, she is.

"People only change when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of changing" - because of this, I think this sad place is exactly where Trixie needs to be. For her to discover the magic of friendship, she first needs to be broken out of this idea that she's "The Great and Powerful" and better than everypony else. Hopefully, just hopefully, she'll think back and realize how happy other ponies are, and hopefully will realize she needs to have friends.

And you know what? Her constantly referring to herself in third person even reinforces this.

Now, there's one more thing to address...

Posted Image

Credit: http://aquamarinedes...oster-274719618

It was just a show. And while Trixie's been performing by herself for far too long to be healthy, the mane 6 reacted just as unhealthily...

At least by modern standards.

But remember, there's no TV, we've never seen radio used, so at least it's not a common passtime - so how would they ever even know about shows? We're used to advertisements claiming to be the best thing ever, and impersonal professionalism - but the mane 6 aren't. So while how Trixie was acting was normal for a show, it wasn't something the mane 6 were prepared for in any way, and instead of seeing it for what it really was, they took it personally - and you can't blame them - they didn't know better.

I know I made a few mistakes. So bring on the thoughts/criticisms. I am here to once and for all explain the GOOD that is Trixie!!!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNOKtl2PdaM

One objection: ~7:40, Twilight not really showing, off, she's just quoting Spike back to him, in a kinda friendly manner. It's like a cup of coffee saying "World's best Dad". He's not actually claiming to be the world's best dad, it's just a compliment.

And Twilight wasn't even complimenting herself. She was just verifying what Spike said, which is a form of compliment to Spike. It wasn't a boastful claim, it was just friendly conversation. And honestly... I'd be feeling a lot more pumped after beating that HUGE thing. I mean, I've mathematically shown that water tower weighed probably 220 tons, and she just lifted that thing up. I'd be boasting myself after that, lol, I'd say Twilight did an astounding job at modesty.

And at 8:50, I don't think she meant to imply it was fake. At least, it's debatable. Though it definitely is in a show type of tone; "feats beyond imagination". Like I said, I think she's just been performing by herself for too long, and she's starting to believe the fantasy.

12:40 LOL! That's PERFECT For a thread I just made!!!! I think it'll make an awesome resource for you, check it out here: http://mlpforums.com...e-in-kilowatts/

I'll even cook you up a simple equation:

Pick a mass, in tons, and multiply it by 1,000 to get it in kg.

Pick an amount of time, in seconds, that Twilight is pushing an object forward.

I'll call that mass, in kilograms, m.

And that time, in seconds, t.

How fast an object will be going when Twilight pushes it with all her might (which takes her a second to muster up)

(note: in simple text, an asterisk (*) means multiply, "/" means divide, and "sqrt(x)", obviously, means square root of x)

This is if you only accept the water tower;

v = Sqrt( ( 30,000,000 * t ) / m )

And this is if you assume the Ursa Minor was organic, and the Ursa Minor weighs 9x as much as the water tower:

v = Sqrt( ( 300,000,000 * t ) / m )

If you get a number near the speed of light (300,000,000 meters/second), let's say around half that speed, then contact me, because you'll have to include the Lorentz Factor :P lolol.

How I arrived with this equation:

KE = 0.5 * m * v2

KE = P * t

P * t = 0.5 * m * v2

(P * t) / (0.5 * m) = v2

(2 * P * t)/(m) = v2

Sqrt((2 * P * t)/(m)) = v

P = 15,000,000

v = Sqrt(30,000,000 * t)/m

Trixie is an antagonist of the show itself, but not inherently evil in any sense. The people that put her in those categories either don't like her or just like to make people upset over it. She's more or less a showboat for her magic. It's necessary for her in this case though since it appears that this is how she makes her bits and lives.

I find it a bit sad that she was more or less ran out of town, but it was her fault over false claims that were proven false. No one's gonna pay bits for a falsified magician so she left. I keep hearing that she will make an appearance in S3 so that's something to look forward to, right?

WOAH! WHERE'S YOUR SOURCE FOR THIS!?

I'm so excited!!! I agree, Trixie is cute, even if she is arrogant and extremely rude, lol. I'd LOVE to see her return and become a bit nicer.

Maybe the episode will be about accepting someone as a friend, and forgiving them for being bad in the past?...

After all, remember at the end of the episode, Rainbow Dash was gonna chase her down (to what? Beat her up!? Scold her, I guess...), but Twilight yelled up: "Just let her go... Maybe someday she'll learn her lesson."

I took that as an enormous, blatantly obvious hint that Trixie might return in a future episode!

Trixie might return, and might even be nice! post-1477-0-23763600-1343194578.png

Very excited! lolol.

Trixie isn't evil. She's just arrogant, but so is RD so does that make Dashie evil? I mean let's compare.

Rainbow dash: Lied about ability to Rainboom to keep dignity, Boasts about being better at everything all the time.

Trixie: Lied about beating an Ursa to help her only source of income, Boasts about being better than everypony, Is hottest and best pony.

In conclusion. Dash is more shallow than Trixie, although this is my opinion and may not be shared by others.

Actually, Dash didn't lie. Remember S1E23? If you haven't seen it yet, then don't open the spoiler.

She actually has pulled off a sonic rainboom - as a filly!

If she said she can do them easy, then I take it she wasn't boasting as much as trying to ease Fluttershy. Well, maybe she was boasting, too...

But anyways, I still say she has a lot more depth. Especially since "Read and Weep". I mean, she's one of the main characters, and Trixie only appeared for one episode. Maybe they developed a lot more depth than we saw - but we can't really argue unless we stick to canon. And canon is we've seen Rainbow Dash developed a lot more in a lot more time then Trixie ever could've been developed for the screentime she's had.

everything I am hearing here is "she's an entertainer and is putting on a show" This brings me to my first contention. Trixie is using magic to boost herself up and put on a flashy magic show even though one third of the ponies in equestria can to do the same thing. From what i can see, magic should be used to help others and to be used as a skill in whatever your particular special talent is (a la rarity using hers to make dresses). Trixie is using magic specifically for the purpose of justifying her arrogance, which leads me to my second contention

Trixie is a narcisistic B***. plain and simple. She makes herself out to be mount everest when she is simply a foothill (ursa major anyone?) Yes, entertainers boast to be the greatest, but even Rainbow Dash doesn't openly mock, ridicule, and threaten other ponies.

QED

Is this a troll post?

He pretty clearly said that Trixie's talent is performing, based off a pretty good analysis of her cutie mark, and performances are entertainment, and everypony enjoyed the show quiet a bit at a number of points by canon, so:

[...]From what i can see, magic should be used to help others and to be used as a skill in whatever your particular special talent is[...]

According to your definition, Trixie was doing exactly the right thing.

Second point: she never threatened anypony. And I still feel like comedians are even harsher, granted that in the show there's no real serious threat of serious physical harm from what Trixie did.

And I mean, really, you're on stage, putting on a show, when they start heckling you? That's awful. Personally I think Trixie did a good job of handling it, but after the show, she really should've tried to make it up to the mane 6 and explain it's a show, lol.

As for the show's depth, you're talking about a show that's had cameos of "The Big Leboski", had shot-for-shot scenes of Star Wars, and has made countless other references, not discluding Twilight being number "42" in the race (S1E13), or what I've heard was a reference from some horror movie, when Pinkie walked into the hall after putting the Cakes' foals to bed (S2E13), and whose cast has even said the characters have more depth than what ever surfaces in the show.

It annoys the heck out of me when people say: "It's just a girls show."

I mean, am I seriously talking to bronies? We wouldn't be watching it, or at least most of us wouldn't, if it was just any other little girls' show.

But it's not. And even Lauren Faust said she made it for all audiences to enjoy, and that was BEFORE the brony phenomenon happened.

everything I am hearing here is "she's an entertainer and is putting on a show" This brings me to my first contention. Trixie is using magic to boost herself up and put on a flashy magic show even though one third of the ponies in equestria can to do the same thing. From what i can see, magic should be used to help others and to be used as a skill in whatever your particular special talent is (a la rarity using hers to make dresses). Trixie is using magic specifically for the purpose of justifying her arrogance, which leads me to my second contention...

Trixie is a narcisistic B***. plain and simple. She makes herself out to be mount everest when she is simply a foothill (ursa major anyone?) She speaks in the third person all the time until she is defeated. She literally said, and I quote, "anything you can do, I can do better" to the whole town and MEANT it. Yes, entertainers boast to be the greatest, but even Rainbow Dash doesn't openly mock, ridicule, and threaten other ponies. This leads me to my final contention...

Trixie is a mean spirited bully. She used Rainbow's....rainbow to spin her violently enough to nauseate her and then shocked her with a storm cloud. She ruined Rarity's mane that she works so hard on. AND she literally HOGTIED AppleJack. All the while insulting them and everyone else in in the town.

QED

Yes Trixie upstaged the Mane 6, humiliated them, and boasted. But had she not, the crowd would never have become that big. So forgive her for humiliating the people who tried to ruin her only source of income.

(edited)

I know I made a few mistakes. So bring on the thoughts/criticisms. I am here to once and for all explain the GOOD that is Trixie!!!

[media snipped]

Oh - and I forgot to say - thanks for posting this! It reminds me of how much much of the fandom likes Trixie. It's even led me to reconsider how to tie up her "loose end" in my fanfic. It's beginning to look less like a noose XD lol. (Don't freak out - never planned to kill her - just making a clever joke... lol) Seriously, though, while many people would love to hate a character, and not empathize with them, and just leave them a shallow villain - as I was even thinking of for Trixie, despite my acknowledging her depth - I think such beliefs are simply wrong. There's no such thing as a real simple villain in real life, and no form of fiction should mislead us into believing there is.

While not all villains will turn good IRL, and some truly are evil to the core - we should never forget there's always a motive, and we should never forget that even the most evil characters are, on some level, feeling beings just like us, and thus deserve our love, even if by a course of action we have to kill them in a uniformed military - we should never cease to empathize, and never be joyed at another's suffering, and we should always strive to cause happiness, and help others, and never to harm (even if - as is solely the military's job - causing harm to one is the course to prevent harm to others - that one should not be forgotten).

Simple villains, and hating a villain without a second thought or empathy or trying to understand them - undermine the noble principle I mentioned above.

I believe people should be held accountable for their actions - but in truth, Trixie did nothing more than cause a little hurt pride, and can only barely be blamed for the Ursa attack, and she even stared straight into the Ursa's jaws and stood up to it for the sake of others (whether it's what they think of her, or defending them - it is for their sake), knowing full well she almost certainly couldn't defeat it. That redeems her a lot, for me, and I think she deserves to come back in season 3 as a good pony, and it would make a great episode about forgiving a pony for their past deeds, if they have truly changed.

Remember - even after making Fluttershy cry - Pinkie Pie didn't hate Gilda, she threw her a party to improve her attitude!

Pinkie and Fluttershy weren't in S1E6. Let's see them meet Trixie!

Posted Image

Credit: http://dw1482.devian.../36030385&qo=17

Edited by Mattlight

My opinion of Trixie?

I agree with a lot of what's in the OP.

And on top of that, I think she's just been a showpony putting on a show all by herself for too long. She doesn't have anypony to talk to, and keep her connected to reality. So she keeps putting on these shows... It's gonna eventually get to her head. And I think that's what's happened here.

She's gotten extremely lonely, maybe even - you can't travel like that, be social, and not be extremely lonely, and she has this show she puts on where she's the amazing, loved, "Great and Powerful Trixie!".

After awhile, or actually, very quickly, her emotional need to feel loved will drive her to start believing the show on an emotional level, even if she doesn't intellectually believe it. She knows it's not real. She knows she hasn't actually beat an Ursa. But emotionally, she forces herself into this fantasy where she has, and in order to confirm it to herself, she has to always be the best there is.

And how that comes off - is that she has to act like she's the best, and continually convince herself she is the best, because at some level, she knows it's a show, and it hurts like Tartarus, and she can't come to terms with it, and with her loneliness.

So she lives the fantasy. She's the "Great and Powerful Trixie", adored by all.

And what happens when the Mane 6 deny that? She's terribly threatened. Given that emotional setup, I'd say she responded very modestly.

What's Ironic, is that this very thing she's used to deal with the pain of her loneliness - is also the thing that keeps her lonely. Even if she does have adoring fans - that's all they are - fans - and she's on a completely different level than they are, meaning a heartfelt eye-to-eye relationship is neigh impossible, which is really what she's dying for.

And the fact that those who claim to love her the most - adoring fans like Snips and Snails - really don't love her on an eye-to-eye level, is just rubbing salt in the wound; "you'll always be alone" it says. "Even when you succeed greatly, and get all you work so hard for, it'll never be what you want." - and the biggest thing is she probably isn't even fully aware of it, but feels it very strongly.

Which is why she's irritated by them, and drives them off, even when they brought her a smoothie and are her adoring fans.

So where does that put Trixie?

Well, she's in-between a rock and a hard place.

Just imagine that loneliness - everyone here at least has the forums, but not Trixie, she has not a single pony in the world to talk to, about anything other than showing off her show. You can imagine why she'd begin to believe it rather quickly.

But that aside, she has nopony to be her true, heartfelt self to, and that makes her extremely lonely. Over time, it only gets worse, so she plays the beloved "Great and Powerful" so she can create a sense of adoration and self-worth and even a confirmation of her worthiness.

Yet she knows on an intellectual level that it's all just a show. So it still hurts. But she can't possibly stop, because it's numbing some of the pain. Consciously, this would only come off as an overpowering urge to keep performing. And as long as she performs, though, to avoid facing her true, much weaker, smaller, less worthy self, she also makes herself more lonely. Not to mention - she's probably even forgotten how to socialize around other ponies except for her "Great and Powerful" self. That's her "social script", how she knows to behave around other ponies, which makes it even harder for her to break free.

Even if you walked up, and offered the key to her escape - a strong friendship - she wouldn't know how to respond except to put you below her with her act - which would simultaneously destroy that eye-to-eye friendship she wants.

But I digress.

Where is she now, after S1E6?

Unless she's really deluded herself to the point of insanity, then I believe that very likely puts her here:

You could say it's all speculation - and you'd be right - but IMO, it explains Trixie best, and is pretty much the only explanation for why she is the way she is.

It's pretty well established that it goes beyond being a show for her (even woken up in the middle of the night, she refers to herself in 3rd person as "The Great and Powerful Trixie", not to mention Snips and Snails taking her a smoothie after the show) - and IMO, this mental setup is inevitable if she keeps putting on those shows all by herself, which canonically, she is.

"People only change when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of changing" - because of this, I think this sad place is exactly where Trixie needs to be. For her to discover the magic of friendship, she first needs to be broken out of this idea that she's "The Great and Powerful" and better than everypony else. Hopefully, just hopefully, she'll think back and realize how happy other ponies are, and hopefully will realize she needs to have friends.

And you know what? Her constantly referring to herself in third person even reinforces this.

Now, there's one more thing to address...

It was just a show. And while Trixie's been performing by herself for far too long to be healthy, the mane 6 reacted just as unhealthily...

At least by modern standards.

But remember, there's no TV, we've never seen radio used, so at least it's not a common passtime - so how would they ever even know about shows? We're used to advertisements claiming to be the best thing ever, and impersonal professionalism - but the mane 6 aren't. So while how Trixie was acting was normal for a show, it wasn't something the mane 6 were prepared for in any way, and instead of seeing it for what it really was, they took it personally - and you can't blame them - they didn't know better.

One objection: ~7:40, Twilight not really showing, off, she's just quoting Spike back to him, in a kinda friendly manner. It's like a cup of coffee saying "World's best Dad". He's not actually claiming to be the world's best dad, it's just a compliment.

And Twilight wasn't even complimenting herself. She was just verifying what Spike said, which is a form of compliment to Spike. It wasn't a boastful claim, it was just friendly conversation. And honestly... I'd be feeling a lot more pumped after beating that HUGE thing. I mean, I've mathematically shown that water tower weighed probably 220 tons, and she just lifted that thing up. I'd be boasting myself after that, lol, I'd say Twilight did an astounding job at modesty.

And at 8:50, I don't think she meant to imply it was fake. At least, it's debatable. Though it definitely is in a show type of tone; "feats beyond imagination". Like I said, I think she's just been performing by herself for too long, and she's starting to believe the fantasy.

12:40 LOL! That's PERFECT For a thread I just made!!!! I think it'll make an awesome resource for you, check it out here: http://mlpforums.com...e-in-kilowatts/

I'll even cook you up a simple equation:

Pick a mass, in tons, and multiply it by 1,000 to get it in kg.

Pick an amount of time, in seconds, that Twilight is pushing an object forward.

I'll call that mass, in kilograms, m.

And that time, in seconds, t.

How fast an object will be going when Twilight pushes it with all her might (which takes her a second to muster up)

(note: in simple text, an asterisk (*) means multiply, "/" means divide, and "sqrt(x)", obviously, means square root of x)

This is if you only accept the water tower;

v = Sqrt( ( 30,000,000 * t ) / m )

And this is if you assume the Ursa Minor was organic, and the Ursa Minor weighs 9x as much as the water tower:

v = Sqrt( ( 300,000,000 * t ) / m )

If you get a number near the speed of light (300,000,000 meters/second), let's say around half that speed, then contact me, because you'll have to include the Lorentz Factor :P lolol.

How I arrived with this equation:

KE = 0.5 * m * v2

KE = P * t

P * t = 0.5 * m * v2

(P * t) / (0.5 * m) = v2

(2 * P * t)/(m) = v2

Sqrt((2 * P * t)/(m)) = v

P = 15,000,000

v = Sqrt(30,000,000 * t)/m

WOAH! WHERE'S YOUR SOURCE FOR THIS!?

I'm so excited!!! I agree, Trixie is cute, even if she is arrogant and extremely rude, lol. I'd LOVE to see her return and become a bit nicer.

Maybe the episode will be about accepting someone as a friend, and forgiving them for being bad in the past?...

After all, remember at the end of the episode, Rainbow Dash was gonna chase her down (to what? Beat her up!? Scold her, I guess...), but Twilight yelled up: "Just let her go... Maybe someday she'll learn her lesson."

I took that as an enormous, blatantly obvious hint that Trixie might return in a future episode!

Trixie might return, and might even be nice! post-1477-0-23763600-1343194578.png

Very excited! lolol.

Actually, Dash didn't lie. Remember S1E23? If you haven't seen it yet, then don't open the spoiler.

She actually has pulled off a sonic rainboom - as a filly!

If she said she can do them easy, then I take it she wasn't boasting as much as trying to ease Fluttershy. Well, maybe she was boasting, too...

But anyways, I still say she has a lot more depth. Especially since "Read and Weep". I mean, she's one of the main characters, and Trixie only appeared for one episode. Maybe they developed a lot more depth than we saw - but we can't really argue unless we stick to canon. And canon is we've seen Rainbow Dash developed a lot more in a lot more time then Trixie ever could've been developed for the screentime she's had.

Is this a troll post?

He pretty clearly said that Trixie's talent is performing, based off a pretty good analysis of her cutie mark, and performances are entertainment, and everypony enjoyed the show quiet a bit at a number of points by canon, so:

According to your definition, Trixie was doing exactly the right thing.

Second point: she never threatened anypony. And I still feel like comedians are even harsher, granted that in the show there's no real serious threat of serious physical harm from what Trixie did.

And I mean, really, you're on stage, putting on a show, when they start heckling you? That's awful. Personally I think Trixie did a good job of handling it, but after the show, she really should've tried to make it up to the mane 6 and explain it's a show, lol.

As for the show's depth, you're talking about a show that's had cameos of "The Big Leboski", had shot-for-shot scenes of Star Wars, and has made countless other references, not discluding Twilight being number "42" in the race (S1E13), or what I've heard was a reference from some horror movie, when Pinkie walked into the hall after putting the Cakes' foals to bed (S2E13), and whose cast has even said the characters have more depth than what ever surfaces in the show.

It annoys the heck out of me when people say: "It's just a girls show."

I mean, am I seriously talking to bronies? We wouldn't be watching it, or at least most of us wouldn't, if it was just any other little girls' show.

But it's not. And even Lauren Faust said she made it for all audiences to enjoy, and that was BEFORE the brony phenomenon happened.

First off, I would like thank you for the effort you put into this analysis of Trixie's behavioral traits and actions. I read this entire post with a wide smile on my face just because of how grateful I was that an individual of the fandom truly understood the complex and beautiful character that is Trixie. Well done, fellow brony. Well done.

Oh - and I forgot to say - thanks for posting this! It reminds me of how much much of the fandom likes Trixie. It's even led me to reconsider how to tie up her "loose end" in my fanfic. It's beginning to look less like a noose XD lol. (Don't freak out - never planned to kill her - just making a clever joke... lol) Seriously, though, while many people would love to hate a character, and not empathize with them, and just leave them a shallow villain - as I was even thinking of for Trixie, despite my acknowledging her depth - I think such beliefs are simply wrong. There's no such thing as a real simple villain in real life, and no form of fiction should mislead us into believing there is.

While not all villains will turn good IRL, and some truly are evil to the core - we should never forget there's always a motive, and we should never forget that even the most evil characters are, on some level, feeling beings just like us, and thus deserve our love, even if by a course of action we have to kill them in a uniformed military - we should never cease to empathize, and never be joyed at another's suffering, and we should always strive to cause happiness, and help others, and never to harm (even if - as is solely the military's job - causing harm to one is the course to prevent harm to others - that one should not be forgotten).

Simple villains, and hating a villain without a second thought or empathy or trying to understand them - undermine the noble principle I mentioned above.

I believe people should be held accountable for their actions - but in truth, Trixie did nothing more than cause a little hurt pride, and can only barely be blamed for the Ursa attack, and she even stared straight into the Ursa's jaws and stood up to it for the sake of others (whether it's what they think of her, or defending them - it is for their sake), knowing full well she almost certainly couldn't defeat it. That redeems her a lot, for me, and I think she deserves to come back in season 3 as a good pony, and it would make a great episode about forgiving a pony for their past deeds, if they have truly changed.

Remember - even after making Fluttershy cry - Pinkie Pie didn't hate Gilda, she threw her a party to improve her attitude!

I am ecstatic by the fact that you enjoyed the video I posted. It seems you truly understood and took into consideration Trixie's true nature as a showpony. You have also convinced me of Twilight's modesty when complimenting herself. Thank you for opening my eyes to that tidbit.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If you look at 10:43 of my video, you can see a picture with Pinkie Pie and a group of other ponies staring at Trixie!

Edited by MallaJong1

Agreed, she's egocentric, but not particularly evil. I see how the message that being boastful is wrong, but she is, as said, a show person, so she wasn't exactly being evil.

Trixie is just.......Misguided.

This is why im hoping next time she meets Twilight or the rest of the mane 6, she ends up learning some sort of lesson about herself and whatnot. I mean she can still be a bit mean to them, but I don't want to see them make her a full on villain.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have put way too much thought into this thread already and I shall now leave it be. My intelligence, motivation, and even my brony status have been attacked and insulted. I feel my debate skills will be of better use on another thread where I may not have the unpopular opinion.

However, I leave you with this just so my post is topical: most every argument for trixie and rebuttal against me I have seen thus far has been riddled with logical fallacies. Ad hominem, tu quoqe, burden of proof (really guys, it's a debate about a friggin cartoon), strawman, etc.

When it comes right down to it, Trixie is represented as an antagonist just like Flim, Flam, Discord, chrysalis, and nightmare moon. You can like antagonists. I like antagonists. There's nothing wrong with that. But when it comes down to it, an enemy is written to be an enemy.

Finally, I find it to be very interesting reflection of the brony community that we are so dang willing to defend arrogance. In both episodes dealing with humility vs egotism, we jump up and defend the arrogant traits and demonize the people promoting humility. I never see any disagreement with the morals of any other episodes, but we seem to be all for pride.

With that, I take my leave. May the ban-hammer be merciful on my frail body.

PS: submitted for your approval

evil: profoundly immoral and malevolent- Oxford Bucking dictionary.

Immoral traits include: hubris, pathological lying, and intent to harm others

Malevolent traits include: causing serious physical and emotional trauma to innocents, and going un-repentant after the fact.

Edited by sirseansy
  • Brohoof 1

Trixie's one of the most "human" antagonists on the show, in that there are plenty of ways that she comes off as sympathetic at times. For me it's not so much that she admits she never actually tamed an Ursa Major, but that in being extremely annoyed at Snip and Snails's sycophancy that she isn't totally obsessed with her self-image as the show she puts on makes her out to be.

(edited)

If you look at 10:43 of my video, you can see a picture with Pinkie Pie and a group of other ponies staring at Trixie!

Woah! And I thought she and Fluttershy never appeared in that episode! Well at the very least, we know they had no spoken lines :P

Lol, that's odd for Pinkie. She must've been off her sugar high. Groggily woken up in the dead of night by an Ursa attack...

Trixie is just.......Misguided.

This is why im hoping next time she meets Twilight or the rest of the mane 6, she ends up learning some sort of lesson about herself and whatnot. I mean she can still be a bit mean to them, but I don't want to see them make her a full on villain.

Exactly. I would never expect her to come back as nice, unless something big happened off-camera, which she'd have to explain. So I'd especially like to see that, or her become nice during an episode.

I have put way too much thought into this thread already and I shall now leave it be. My intelligence, motivation, and even my brony status have been attacked and insulted. I feel my debate skills will be of better use on another thread where I may not have the unpopular opinion.

However, I leave you with this just so my post is topical: most every argument for trixie and rebuttal against me I have seen thus far has been riddled with logical fallacies. Ad hominem, tu quoqe, burden of proof (really guys, it's a debate about a friggin cartoon), strawman, etc.

When it comes right down to it, Trixie is represented as an antagonist just like Flim, Flam, Discord, chrysalis, and nightmare moon. You can like antagonists. I like antagonists. There's nothing wrong with that. But when it comes down to it, an enemy is written to be an enemy.

Finally, I find it to be very interesting reflection of the brony community that we are so dang willing to defend arrogance. In both episodes dealing with humility vs egotism, we jump up and defend the arrogant traits and demonize the people promoting humility. I never see any disagreement with the morals of any other episodes, but we seem to be all for pride.

With that, I take my leave. May the ban-hammer be merciful on my frail body.

PS: submitted for your approval

Malevolent traits include: causing serious physical and emotional trauma to innocents, and going un-repentant after the fact.

Sheesh, I didn't mean to come off that harshly... I'm pretty much willing to admit she was a boastful, arrogant jerk, and there's no doubt at all she was an antagonist and Twilight and Spike were the protagonists.

If you don't accept conjecture, then that's pretty much it. As I said, that huge thing I wrote about Trixie was all conjecture, and never denied the fact she was mean and haughty, lol, that much we can all agree on.

As for the brony thing - I'll say sorry - it's merely my frustration when I put a lot of thought into something, giving the show a lot of depth beyond what the writers could've exposed in their little 22-minute episodes, and then someone comes along and says

Lol, truth is, any fan is a brony, I just find a majorly fun thing is speculating on depth the writers might have added that they didn't have time or means to depict, or even depth they never meant to add :P

But anyways, I'm agreed Trixie was a jerk, but the question is was she truly evil?

In fact, if you look at it deeply enough, the OP could be even raising the question if there's such thing as true evil at all.

IMO, there's three causes for evil:

1. Selfishness

2. Ignorance

3. Weakness (inability to have self-control)

Trixie proclaimed defeating an Ursa, ignorant of the fact that this would cause a real one to come.

Weakness - we'd have to really know her heart to say if she knew what she was doing was wrong, but couldn't overcome herself to do right. But based on my earlier rambling conjecture, I'd think she was too weak to face her loneliness and stop the show business and try to get bits from somewhere else, so that plays a part, too.

But I think the biggest evil is selfishness.

And she was selfish, but not entirely. At the very least, she cared about what others think about her. She may have cracked down on some "neigh-sayers", but at the very least, she did everything for the sake of what others think about her, so she really does care about others, even if it's only others' opinion of herself. But hey, who's not guilty of that?

I don't think she was nice, she was definitely a boastful jerk, but I think her emotional drives for being that way are something any of us would succumb to.

And sure, I don't know much of philosophy so I'll say you're probably right, in that she's the same type of evil as Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon, but I don't think she was quiet as evil as those two, and while she humiliated three ponies, she didn't exactly hurt huge crowds of ponies. Rather, she put on a show for them.

And all along, my main point has been, just because she's a boastful jerk, doesn't mean she doesn't deserve sympathy. Not to say she's not one - but jerks need a serious attitude change to be happy. I mean, Pinkie Pie didn't hate Gilda, even after Gilda made Fluttershy cry.

Pinkie Pie threw her a party to change her attitude.

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 1

Well, the definition is fine. Yet I find that it should not be applied to Trixie. Did Trixie cause SERIOUS physical and emotional trauma? Nope. It seemed the hecklers (Rainbow, Rarity and Applejack) got along just fine a few minutes after their humiliation. A shock. having been tied up and green hair is SERIOUS physical and emotional trauma? It didn't seem that way to the three ponies. Just an embarrassing moment that brought about laughs and entertainment to a crowd looking for a show. So are you calling comedians making up stories for jokes PATHOLOGICAL LIARS? And if so, does that make the comedians IMMORAL? Such a brief description does not apply to Trixie.

Trixie just exaggerates about herself, that is why she gets so much hate, she isn't evil, if she was, she would be in a position Discord, Nightmare Moon, and Chrysalis where in.

(edited)

so many words.....

And civililty reigns. thank you sir.

Well, the definition is fine. Yet I find that it should not be applied to Trixie. Did Trixie cause SERIOUS physical and emotional trauma? Nope. It seemed the hecklers (Rainbow, Rarity and Applejack) got along just fine a few minutes after their humiliation. A shock. having been tied up and green hair is SERIOUS physical and emotional trauma? It didn't seem that way to the three ponies. Just an embarrassing moment that brought about laughs and entertainment to a crowd looking for a show. So are you calling comedians making up stories for jokes PATHOLOGICAL LIARS? And if so, does that make the comedians IMMORAL? Such a brief description does not apply to Trixie.

Ok, I know I said I was done, but I'll do it anyway.

have you ever been hogtied or touched an electric fence?

Actually, because of my position I do believe that a comedian that misconstrues facts and causes people to be ill-informed about things or a group of people (a la David Cross) is, in fact, immoral.

Edited by sirseansy

Evil? Evil is the word for Nightnmare Moon. Not for Tricie. She has tto make a living off of MAGIC. Roughly 1/3 of the ponies have magic, so she HAS to exagerate her magic or she won't make a living. So evil? No.

And civililty reigns. thank you sir.

Ok, I know I said I was done, but I'll do it anyway.

have you ever been hogtied or touched an electric fence?

Actually, because of my position I do believe that a comedian that misconstrues facts and causes people to be ill-informed about things or a group of people (a la David Cross) is, in fact, immoral.

You're welcome, sirseansy, means' alot to hear that said of me :)

Sorry to disappoint, Mallajong, but even after initially agreeing with you, I'll have to disagree this time. I very loosely know someone who had their house robbed, and they were tied when it happened. They faced horrible trauma afterwards and needed a therapist. While what happened to Applejack wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to that person, I think you get my point. And, lol, re-read this bit here:

(Edited heavily)

[...]A shock. having been tied up and green hair is SERIOUS physical and emotional trauma? [...] an embarrassing moment that brought about laughs and entertainment to a crowd looking for a show. [...]

That's actually something that could cause some really serious trauma. Mesmerized defenseless, then hog-tied, mouth stuffed with an apple, and an entire crowd laughs at you.

I don't believe the word "Just" belongs there.

And Rarity? She's all about fashion, it's the one thing in the world she's proud of, and where she gets her feeling of worth and accomplishment. She's probably going to have nightmares about that moment for a long time, and if it wasn't for the fact that this was one of the less-realistic episodes, she probably would've had some emotional issues for awhile as a result.

I mean, for her, it's probably what would be the equivalent, for you, of appearing in a crowded place naked, or in a diaper, pick whichever one is more humiliating, and this is her home town, too.

And personally, I find what some comedians often do is in fact, immoral. Just because people are getting a laugh doesn't justify it.

It's actually an interesting moral question: benefiting large numbers of people for the pain of a few. It's a lot like implementing slavery for a small demographic; same morality applies, just on a larger level.

But morality of forcing a few to sacrifice for the benefit of many aside, Trixie had it presented a different way. It would have been about as humiliating if she was shown up at her own show.

I'm sticking to my big analysis. I love that idea of Trixie's cutie mark showing that she's a showpony. But while it could be wonderful entertainment to inspire and lift, it can also become a show of deception that can humiliate and degrade. I think Trixie's been doing the show all by herself for too long, and with nopony to keep her sense of reality in check, she's lost touch, and while not on an intellectual level, on an emotional level, she truly believes she IS the Great and Powerful Trixie, how else is she supposed to deal with the enormous pain of being alone like that for so long? And how is she supposed to validate herself if she can't even stomp the neigh-sayers at her own show?

Better yet: notice that nopony paid to attend. So either she struck a deal with the Mayor, or what she did was an advertisement show, where she proves herself, and gains audience for a later paid show, which would mean being shown up would be even more fatal for her income (But still, even then, all the other ponies get along fine without putting on shows, I'm sure she could find employment elsewhere if she really had to. I can imagine her intellectual justifying herself by saying she has no choice, though. The psyche loves to do that.).

All in all, trying to understand the morality of all of this is wonderfully realistically complex. And people call this a children's show :P lol.