Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Power of Twilight Sparkle - in Kilowatts!

Comet Tail

(edited)

Okay, so awhile back I saw the "Cartoon Fails" video about My Little Pony, where a G1 pony is shot. I had the question: Could Twilight Sparkle stop the bullets?

First, I had to form a basis for how the Telekinesis works.

I came up with a big long thing about free will and such (in the spoiler), but boils down to this: They convert thermal potential energy into kinetic energy.

So, the idea was this: Let's go out on a big limb here, and say consciousness, or qualia, is an entity that controls the collapse of quantum states, and the human brain is a way for tiny quantum effects to have large effects - basically, imagine a tiny domino going to a bigger one, to a bigger domino, to another bigger domino, etc. etc. until you're knocking over a skyscraper by knocking down a domino half an inch tall. The brain is kinda like that, where a tiny quantum difference can propagate into huge effects, (via chaotic system. If you understand that, fine, if it confuses you, ignore it) allowing our qualia to interface with the world (my interpretation of the mind-body problem).

Now, let's say magic is a controlled collapse of quantum states, namely, the direction particles are going. When an object has heat, all the atoms are going in different directions. But if you collapse their quantum states so that they're all going in the same direction, the atoms will no longer be colliding, and thus will lose heat, but the entire object will move in that direction, thus creating kinetic energy. So Telekinesis works by converting thermal potential energy into kinetic energy. I checked the math - and shooting an object at a very fast speed cools it down only by an extremely small amount! (purely dependent on heat capacity of material)

This means they have a specific amount of power. As we've seen, the motion isn't instantaneous, in other words, they "push" on things with telekinesis, exerting a force. So it looks like they convert the energy at a rate, (a certain amount of kinetic energy every second) and energy at a rate, is power.

So, I set off on a quest to find out how much "power" Twilight Sparkle has.

Let's get down to business,

To have the funs!

Posted Image

Okay, for starters, we'll take the event where she used the most power in the series so far - and judging by effort and mass, it looks like "Boast Busters" when she defeated the Ursa Minor.

Watch it here! (With some awesome classical music)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlm9guAoyKI

Power can be found as a change in energy over time. Since we're using Kinetic Energy, this involves a distance, so we need to know how big everything is.

A long time ago, I found an image on the web where someone referenced a scene from "Hearth's Warming Eve", where Twilight looks at a Candy cane and says: "I spy... An eight foot candy cane!", and from there, he found the size of the ponies. I decided to do it myself, and I'm more satisfied with the process and answers I got:

post-1477-0-21914700-1342844385_thumb.png

Okay, the number we're going to use here is the height of Rarity's head, 17.5 inches, which is 14.45 cm.

This is key to finding out how powerful Twilight is. Once we know how massive the water tower is, and how fast she accelerates it, we can find out how powerful Twilight is.

- Warning: This next section is very math-heavy! You may skip down to the "End of Water Tower Size and Mass" if you want to cut to the chase :P

Now, let's find the size of the Water Tower. Where can we do this? "Secret of my Excess"!

post-1477-0-18934600-1342845978_thumb.png

Note: I could have used a lot of complex calculus and find the volume of the curved lid, but that would be waaaaay too difficult. This isn't all very precise, so I simply made a more simple, non-calculus geometric cone to simulate the lid, and the body as a cylinder.

So I've drawn some measurements. Remember a pony's head is 44.45 cm. So:

22 px = 44.45 cm

Now, convert. We'll see how many "heads" long these lines are, then multiply the number of "head-lengths" by how many cm there are in each head to get the length of the line in cm.

(280 px / 22) * 44.45 = 566 cm

WATER HEIGHT = 5.66 m

(323 px / 22) * 44.45 = 643 cm

= 6.53 m

But we need the radius for the math, not the diameter, so the radius is:

RADIUS = 3.265 m

(350 px / 22) * 44.45 = 707 cm

CYLINDER HEIGHT = 7.07 m

(230 px / 22) * 44.45 = 465 cm

CONE HEIGHT = 4.65 m

Volume of cylinder

= Pi*(3.265)^2 * 7.07

= 236.775 m^3

Volume of Cone

= (1/3)*Pi*(3.265)^2 * 4.65

= 51.910 m^3

OUTER VOLUME TOTAL:

288.685 m^3

Now, we need to divide the volume into two volumes: an outer shell, and the inner empty volume. That way, we'll have the exact volume that's filled with steel walls, and the volume filled with water.

Skip ahead a little to the illustration below if you don't understand. We need to find the grey volume, and knowing the density of steel, we kind find out how much all that steel weighs.

As a rough guess, I assumed the walls are three-quarters inch thick.

.75 inch = ~1.9 cm

A line going from the middle of the tower at the base, to the outer edge, would go through the wall, so remove 1.9 cm, or 0.019 m

3.265 - 0.019 = 3.246 m

INNER RADIUS = 3.246 m

Instead of making the cone 1.9 cm shorter and the cylinder 1.9 cm shorter, I'll have to add those two lengths together, then evenly divide the number proportionally to both of the lengths.

It sounds quiet complicated, but to understand why; look at the illustration:

post-1477-0-21995800-1342844883.png

If I do it any other way, it changes the slope of the cone's walls, and makes the top cap the wrong shape.

So here goes:

1.9 + 1.9 = 3.8

Entire height (of outer volume) = 11.72 m

Cylinder height fraction = 7.07 / 11.72

Cone height fraction = 4.65 / 11.72

So to split the 3.8 cm length proportionally,

the cone gets:

(4.65 / 11.72)*3.8 = 1.5 cm = .015 m

And the cylinder gets

(7.07 / 11.72)*3.8 = 2.3 cm = .023 m

In addition, I believe for a strong base the base will be slightly thicker, so I'll make it a full inch, so that's slicing another quarter inch from the interior volume cylinder's height.

2.54*0.25 = 0.0635

0.0635 + 2.3 = 2.3635 cm = .023635 m

So our inner cylinder height is:

7.07 - 0.023635

= INNER CYLINDER HEIGHT = 7.046365 m

And our cone height is:

4.65 - 0.015

= INNER CONE HEIGHT = 4.635 m

So, our inner volume is:

Volume of Inner Cylinder

= Pi * 3.246^2 * 7.046365

= 233.245 m^3

Volume of Inner Cone

= (1/3) * Pi * 3.246^2 * 4.635

= 51.142 m^3

INNER VOLUME TOTAL:

284.387 m^3

Steel Volume

= 288.685 - 284.387

= 4.298 m^3

Water Volume

= Pi * 3.246^2 * 5.66

= 187.354 m^3

The density of steel is roughly 7.8 g/cm^3 [source]

= 7.8 g/cm^3 = 7,800 kg/m^3

Steel Mass:

= 4.298 m^3 * 7,800 kg/m^3 = 33,524.4 kg.

Water Mass:

= 187.354 m^3 * 1,000 kg/m^3 = 187,354 kg.

Total mass = 220,878.4 kg.

so now we have the total mass of the water tower. :D

- End of Water Tower Size and Mass

Now, how fast does she accelerate it?

Luckily, we know time and distance now :D

post-1477-0-99470500-1342845265_thumb.png

post-1477-0-25845600-1342845274_thumb.png

Because we know the width of the tower, we can find out how far it's been lifted, over one second.

679 px = 6.53 m

(193/679) * 6.53 = 1.856 m

Acceleration = 1.856 m/s^2

Mass = 220,878.4 kg

EDIT:

Well, here's the fix. I forgot gravity. I kept the original post in the spoiler below to avoid confusion, because other ponies in the thread trusted me, and used my figures, but they were wrong...

KE = 1/2 * 220,878.4 * 1.856^2

= 380,434 Joules.

That much energy per second, making it

380,434 Watts, or 380 kW.

Take it as canon:

Twilight Sparkle, has AT LEAST ~380 kW of telekinetic power.

Take it as canon, because it's based directly off of the show! I showed you my work! ;)

She also lifted an Ursa, but getting all this information on that is much more difficult, and much less precise.

But, as an absolute minimum, back, early on in Season 1 (Since Twilight's always getting better), she had AT LEAST ~380 kW of telekinetic power.

Anything else is a rough estimate. The Ursa may be starry, but it was able to crush buildings with it's weight, and when Trixie tied it's paws, it seemed very physical, so if we go off a rough guess:

post-1477-0-16228300-1342845622_thumb.png

And we assume it's like a normal organic being, roughly as dense as water, which is roughly as dense as the water tower, then we can get a fair guesstimation of it's weight.

The water tower weighs ~220 tons.

So how many "Water Towers" is the Ursa?

post-1477-0-83035800-1342846613_thumb.png

I'd say roughly 8-12. There are seven boxes, but that's only counting height and width. The image is 2-d, but the Ursa is 3-d (even though it's 2d animated :P ), and the Ursa has more depth than the water tower, so there's eve more mass than those 7.

So, using that number, Twilight Sparkle has:

Anywhere from

3,040 - 4,560 Kilowatts of power.

In other words, she's packin' 3 to 4.5 MEGAWATTS of power.

I need to add an acceleration of 9.82 m/s^2 to that other acceleration, because Twilight didn't just lift this thing in weightlessness, stupid me, she lifted it against gravity, and to do that she'd have to give it 9.82 m/s of speed every second, so I just add the two accelerations together.

Acceleration = 1.856 + 9.807 (standard gravity, not even 9.82, as I just found out)

= 11.663 m/s^2

So that gives her energy per second, which is power, as:

KE = 0.5 * 220,878.4 * 11.663^2

= 15,022,555 Watts

or 15.022555 MW!!!

That's the reliable figure, too.

All along I was thinking to myself, that 380 kW seemed WAAAAY too small for lifting that 220 ton water tower!

I was right. I was wrong.

But, just so my post doesn't lose content, I'll copy and update the original post from here:

/EDIT

Take it as canon:

Twilight Sparkle, has AT LEAST ~15 MW of telekinetic power!!!

Take it as canon, because it's based directly off of the show! I showed you my work! ;)

She also lifted an Ursa, but getting all this information on that is much more difficult, and much less precise.

But, as an absolute minimum, back, early on in Season 1 (Since Twilight's always getting better), she had AT LEAST ~15 MW of telekinetic power.

Anything else is a rough estimate. The Ursa may be starry, but it was able to crush buildings with it's weight, and when Trixie tied it's paws, it seemed very physical, so if we go off a rough guess:

post-1477-0-16228300-1342845622_thumb.png

And we assume it's like a normal organic being, roughly as dense as water, which is roughly as dense as the water tower, then we can get a fair guesstimation of it's weight.

The water tower weighs ~220 tons.

So how many "Water Towers" is the Ursa?

post-1477-0-83035800-1342846613_thumb.png

I'd say roughly 8-12. There are seven boxes, but that's only counting height and width. The image is 2-d, but the Ursa is 3-d (even though it's 2d animated :P ), and the Ursa has more depth than the water tower, so there's eve more mass than those 7.

So, using that number, Twilight Sparkle has:

Anywhere from

120 to 180 MEGAWATTS of power.

By Comparison, a United States Navy Nimitz-class Supercarrier has two nuclear powerplants, which put out just a tiny bit less than 200 Megawatts of Electrical power.

post-1477-0-77085100-1343434501_thumb.jpg

And for further comparison Yoda, according to xkcd, only has a relatively puny 18.3 Kilowatts! Source: http://what-if.xkcd.com/3/

I'd say, based off of this, our little pony could defeat Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Maul, and the old Sith guy, all at once, without much effort.

If they each somehow manage 20 Kilowatts, that's still a meager 140 Kilowatts, compared to Twilight Sparkle's bare minimum of 5,000!

So, what about that question I asked at the start? Could Twilight stop a bullet?

Well, assuming it's a shotgun round, like in the video, and ignoring aerodynamics, assuming an average shotgun muzzle velocity ~ 1500 feet per second.

A standard double-ought shotgun buckshot round, twelve-gauge, has about 3,500 joules of energy in total. As such, if Twilight could put her full BARE MINIMUM of 5,000,000 Watts of power on it the moment it leaves the muzzle, then she could bring every pellet to a full stop in 0.0007 second!

During that amount of time, the pellets would manage to travel 6.3 inches.

And one interesting note - is while she could bring the pellets to a full stop in a milisecond, it also means she could propel them back at the same speed they came in, in two miliseconds! Truly a force to be reckoned with!

Though, truth be told, it takes her a certain amount of time to focus and work the spells. In "Feeling Pinkie Keen", she jumped, and wasn't able to teleport before hitting the ground. The run in "Dragon Quest" pretty firmly confirmed why we haven't seen her unleash this full potential in every instance.

But, nonetheless, that power is there. She is indeed a force to be reckoned with!

Posted Image

Image credit: http://jrk08004.devi...erful-272400249

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 17

Imagine if she was real, and decided that everyone who wanted to destroy her for being a character from MLP should leave the Bronies alone... She could possibly move us to opposite sides of the plantet... Question is, which side do we want?

(edited)

Well, good thing she's on our side. Could you imagine if she turned evil? :o

In a few centuries, the Equestrian version of "London Bridge is Falling Down" would be "Canterlot is Falling Down" because of this incident :P

Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddle the issue!

But seriously. Wow.

(Post limit. -.-)

Haha, reminds me of this I doodled long, long, ago, before I joined the community:

(Yeah... I got the quote wrong... So what? I was watching the series through for the first time! Back in the days before Season 2 ended... And High School... lol. Ah, yes, the secret brony years... A time before I was exposed to the atrocious ideas of clop and rule 34... Sigh... Good times. I miss that innocence. I guess I gotta stick to canon, ya'know?)

post-1477-0-55780200-1342852606_thumb.png

But Applejack! This is the only way to be sure... Of Twilight's TRUE POWER! :o

Get your gun kids, we got a mare to kill

Woah.

Nobody kills Twilight Sparkle!

Imagine if she was real, and decided that everyone who wanted to destroy her for being a character from MLP should leave the Bronies alone... She could possibly move us to opposite sides of the plantet... Question is, which side do we want?

Haha, she's pretty darn powerful, but I don't know if she's THAT powerful.

3 to 4.5 Megwatts. As a frame of reference, the twin nuclear reactors on a Nimitz-class Aircraft Carrier together produce 194 Megawatts (though a whole bunch of this is lost to waste heat!)

Posted Image

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 2

Interesting observations. Bet she's glad to have that amount of power so organizing her house is a piece of cake.

I tend to forget physics and math once I don't need to know the details for classes so reading your post felt like a relearning experience, haha.

Interesting Lol too late to show this to my college physics class, looks like you've spent alot of time figuring this out. :]

(edited)

Your math is impeccable. +1 brohoof.

However, you state that she is able to do this "without much effort". Preliminarily, I'd disagree with that. Did you see how much she was exerting herself? The unicorn horn glow is almost as big as herself! During normal magic, it's just a small glow reaching ~1-2 inches (pure estimate) out.

I'm going to assume that her unicorn horn is roughly conical with a height of six inches and a base radius of one inch (again, more estimates). Then I'm going to assume the glow occupies a cone with one more inch in height and radius.

V(unihorn) = Pi(1)^2 * 6 * 1/3 = 2pi

V(glow) = Pi(2)^2 * 7 * 1/3 = 28pi/3

V(glow-unihorn) = 22pi/3 = ~23in^3

Next, I'm going to assume that the new glow is roughly 3 feet tall with a radius of 1 foot (Again, still more estimates based on images available).

V(megaglow) = pi(12)^2 * 36 * 1/3 = 1728pi

V(megaglow-unihorn) = 1726pi = ~5420in^3

Lastly, I'm going to assume that glow and power are linearly correlated. (Also, I'm going to challenge your higher-estimate of ~3-4MW because the mass of the ursa is unknown, making it unsuitable for study. I'm using your well-proven estimate of 380kW)

P = 380kW * 23in^3 / 5420in^3 = 1612W

So, based on this, I estimate that Twilight can generate about 1.6kW of power "with little effort". This pales in comparison to xkcd's 18.3kW.

So, do I think Twilight could steamroll Yoda in her sleep? Heck no. Do I think she could do it if she really wanted to? No doubt about it.

Still, all these calculations are based on nothing but estimates on account of me being too lazy to measure pixels. Perhaps you could revise this?

EDIT: I'd like to point out a minor semantic error you made that had me confused for longer than I should have been.

When you said the following: "Acceleration = 1.856 m/s^2 KE = 1/2 * 220,878.4 * 1.856^2"

...you incorrectly tagged the 1.856. This is a velocity, as the water tower is going a set distance in a set time. It should have been "Velocity = 1.856m/s"

I finally figured it out with the Kinetic Energy formula, which I know to be "KE = mass * velocity^2".

Despite this, the 380kW is still accurate.

Edited by Mana Hooves
  • Brohoof 1

Your math is impeccable. +1 brohoof.

However, you state that she is able to do this "without much effort". Preliminarily, I'd disagree with that. Did you see how much she was exerting herself? The unicorn horn glow is almost as big as herself! During normal magic, it's just a small glow reaching ~1-2 inches (pure estimate) out.

I'm going to assume that her unicorn horn is roughly conical with a height of six inches and a base radius of one inch (again, more estimates). Then I'm going to assume the glow occupies a cone with one more inch in height and radius.

V(unihorn) = Pi(1)^2 * 6 * 1/3 = 2pi

V(glow) = Pi(2)^2 * 7 * 1/3 = 28pi/3

V(glow-unihorn) = 22pi/3 = ~23in^3

Next, I'm going to assume that the new glow is roughly 3 feet tall with a radius of 1 foot (Again, still more estimates based on images available).

V(megaglow) = pi(12)^2 * 36 * 1/3 = 1728pi

V(megaglow-unihorn) = 1726pi = ~5420in^3

Lastly, I'm going to assume that glow and power are linearly correlated. (Also, I'm going to challenge your higher-estimate of ~3-4MW because the mass of the ursa is unknown, making it unsuitable for study. I'm using your well-proven estimate of 380kW)

P = 380kW * 23in^3 / 5420in^3 = 1612W

So, based on this, I estimate that Twilight can generate about 1.6kW of power "with little effort". This pales in comparison to xkcd's 18.3kW.

So, do I think Twilight could steamroll Yoda in her sleep? Heck no. Do I think she could do it if she really wanted to? No doubt about it.

Still, all these calculations are based on nothing but estimates on account of me being too lazy to measure pixels. Perhaps you could revise this?

EDIT: I'd like to point out a minor semantic error you made that had me confused for longer than I should have been.

When you said the following: "Acceleration = 1.856 m/s^2 KE = 1/2 * 220,878.4 * 1.856^2"

...you incorrectly tagged the 1.856. This is a velocity, as the water tower is going a set distance in a set time. It should have been "Velocity = 1.856m/s"

I finally figured it out with the Kinetic Energy formula, which I know to be "KE = mass * velocity^2".

Despite this, the 380kW is still accurate.

@Edit: That's because the time was 1 second. Because we're working with one second here, and our initial condition was zero (using an inertial frame of reference), then we can interchange Watts for Joules, and acceleration for velocity.

Once again, if our initial condition is zero for the variables X and Y, then:

In one second, at an acceleration of X per second squared, our velocity is X.

Watts is a change in Joules per second. So in one second, Y Watts will result in Y Joules.

Nice catch, though, it's good to see someone else that's into physics, the application of mathematics to reality

post-1477-0-52591500-1343013731.png

Okay, back to the start of your post:

You got me on the not much effort part. I think when I wrote that I was just thinking of the water tower alone, because it's only when she grabs the Ursa that she really struggles. And sure, I'll do that with three measurements - I'll find some point in the series when she's being casual with it, then take the high-power "watertower" glow, then take the "do or die" glow.

I can turn out a few interesting numbers from this. Given that the show won't animate the glow perfectly, I'll see what mundane object she's lifting, and calculate the power, then turn out a figure based on the assumption that there's a linear relationship with horn glow volume and power output, and see if it's reasonable with our proven estimate with the water tower.

Now, if we accept the Ursa mass figure, then we can do something even better. Given three data points, I can find the delta-values of each (Change in value per change in power) and see if there's a second-order change.

In [more] plain English; if we accept the Ursa mass figure, then I can find if there's a linear relationship with hornglow volume and power output or not.

And better yet, we can then re-work the math assuming a linear relationship, and get the Ursa's mass as a result, if there is, in fact, a linear relationship.

This will be fun

(lol, this picture is so legitly me. I've even got the hot chocolate right here, lol :D )

post-1477-0-02602000-1343013641_thumb.png

(image credit: http://veggie55.deviantart.com/gallery/33526009#/d4lq020 )

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Alright, I'm back! And I brought more science!

(And it's only taken me four and a half hours! I've only been working on physics of the magic of My Little Pony since that last post around 10:30, through midnight until 4am! I'm fine. TOTALLY FINE!

post-1477-0-77294100-1343034095.png

(image credit: http://necromanteion...arkle-264012532)

I'm not getting obsessive over this!)

(no really, though, I took a 5 hour nap today so I'm good)

And as usual, this is a novel-length post, so either skim it, or grab some popcorn and a science hat :D

post-1477-0-83646700-1343032552_thumb.png

(image credit: http://reina-kitsune...llery/#/d4q5v3r )

And, uh, I made this one a bit more non-egghead friendly, with lots of spoilers if you want to skip all the mathy stuff, 'cause I know it was throwing a lot of ponies off

post-1477-0-37106500-1343032750_thumb.png

So, anyways, the objective here was to create a number of data points and find the relationship in-between hornglow volume and power output.

First off, there's a minimum glow. Doubtless only artist's depiction (because as we all know, MLP:FiM is actually real, and the show is only an artist's depiction of the events but precise enough to gather data from) to show us she's using magic, so it will appear any time she's doing telekinesis or any magic.

What this means, is at a certain point, it will be the same size no matter how much smaller the power output gets. So in order for a measurement of this to be useful, we have to ascertain what that threshold is. The way to do this will be to find the most powerful use of her magic where the hornglow is at it's regular size.

I believe this would be from her re-shelving day (S2E10) (arguably it's Winter-Wrap up, when she used it on the ploughs, though I'd answer to that: it wasn't telekinesis, it was "animate", so we can't measure power output from it), so that's what I used.

post-1477-0-90478400-1343032800_thumb.png

I marked everything up in 4 categories, "huge", "big", "medium", and "small", which are red, green, blue, and yellow, respectively.

post-1477-0-88845100-1343032883_thumb.png

There's a nice source here (linked in spoiler) from which I got the average volume of a book. Now, I could use this, but the only problem is, Ponies are different in size from humans, so their books will weigh differently. So thanks to the "Reading a Book" PMV on Youtube, and remembering her reading a book in S1E5, I gathered a few pictures of her reading, and made a rough estimation of the average pony book size.

So, uh, in the spoiler is a huge amount of stuff about me finding the masses of various books.

Some notes before we begin, though:

From the source, I determined a hardcover density of about ~0.5587 g/cm^3

(Huh. That's surprisingly light... But that also involves the empty space created by the fact the hard covers are larger than the page, so they could still sink, maybe...)

Work for that figure:

A hardcover book that's 8"x6"x2" weighs 1 pound, 15 ounces. Source:

http://avgpostagewei...rback-book.html

That's

20.32x15.24x5.08 cm, for 878.85 grams.

Giving hardcover books of that size, a density of:

Volume = 1,573.158144 cm^3

~0.5587 g/cm^3

Also, we're assuming all of these books maintain a ratio established here:

post-1477-0-20608300-1343032904_thumb.png

Ignore all other markings...

There's four books in the background with their width and height measured:

Ratio red:

Height = 1.4065 * Width

Ratio blue:

Height = 1.4375 * Width

Ratio green:

Height = 1.3214 * Width

Ratio Yellow:

Height = 1.4746 * Width

Average Ratio:

Height = 1.41 * Width

Which is

Height = 1.41 * Width

I'm going to cheat a little: because it's a 3-D image projected onto a 2-D image, we're going to lose depth. Intuitively, I'm sure I could somehow figure out the field of vision of the camera using a straight line in the field, somewhere, and then calculate from the field of vision, the angle at which the viewed object is skewed, and from there find it's perfect dimensions.

However, I have no idea how to actually do that, maybe I'll work on the skill later, but for now, lol, I'll just deal with a small amount of error.

Now, let's remember a pony's head is 44.45 cm tall, and get rolling!

Note: 3 dimensions: Height, Width, and Depth, will be noted as Hbook, Wbook, and Dbook. Dbook is how "tall" it is

when laying flat. Hbook is Height when it's sitting up on a shelf.

post-1477-0-41097400-1343032810_thumb.png

It looks like Twili's about 60% through this book. So I'll assume he total height is (Green number - actually, I

apologize, but the image isn't updated and I realized my measurement was off. It's actually more around 30 pixels.)

0.6 * (Total) = 30

Total = 50 pixels.

179 px = 44.45 cm

Hbook = 210 px * 44.45/179 = 52.15 cm

52.15 = 1.41 * Wbook

Wbook = ~37 cm

Dbook = 50 * 44.45/179 = 12.4 cm

Book volume = 23,926.42 cm^3

Book mass = 13.368 kg!!!

Whatever she's reading, it's about the size and weight of a huge, old Webster's Dictionary. I'm willing to bet she's

not reading it cover-to-cover! :o

Also, let's note the height to depth ratio and get an idea of what it should be for future books (I'll need it for

the third book)

Height/Depth = 52.15/12.4 = 4.2

post-1477-0-59343100-1343032818_thumb.png

121 px = 44.45 cm

Dbook = 17 px * 44.45/121 = 6.25 cm

Hbook = 124 px * 44.45/121 = 45.55 cm

45.55 = 1.41 * Wbook

Wbook = 32.3 cm

Book Volume = 9,195 cm^3

Book Mass = 5.137 kg

Sheesh! I thought that 13 kg book was an exception! This is a ten-pound book! This is normal for her! Twilight is one heavy reader!

Pud-un Ksshh!

(Yeah... Pun...)

post-1477-0-89326200-1343032960.png

Moving on...

Height/Depth = 7.288

post-1477-0-43698800-1343032829_thumb.png

44.45 cm = 168 px

Hbook = 161 * 44.45/168 = 42.6 cm

42.6 = 1.41 * Wbook

Wbook = 30.21 cm

Let's assume a roughly average height/depth of 6.

Dbook = 7.1 cm

Book Volume = 9,137 cm^3

Book mass = 5.105 kg

And hey, while we're here...

She's holding this book up against gravity. So with almost no effort, she's exerting (once again, as I noted in last post, initial condition is zero, and time is one second, so we can interchange acceleration with velocity, and power with energy)

KE (per second) = 1/2 * 5.105 * 9.82^2

= 246.143701 Joules

~246 Joules per second

= ~246 Watts.

post-1477-0-74144000-1343032833.png

44.45 cm = 64 pixels

Wbook = 46 * 44.45/64 = 31.95 cm

Hbook = 1.41 * Wbook = 1.41 * 31.95

= ~45.05 cm

Assuming our now-standard Height/Depth ratio of 6:

Dbook = 7.51 cm

Book Volume = 10,809.5 cm^3

Book Mass = 6.039 kg

Okay, results:

(Warning: Lots of heavy rounding on the sizes. Only to give a rough idea. Books in Equestria are huge!)

Book1:

20.5"x14.5"x5"

Est. 13.368 kg.

Book2:

18"x13"x2.5"

Est. 5.137 kg.

Book3:

17"x12"x3"

Est. 5.105 kg.

Book4:

18"x12.5"x3"

Est. 6.039 kg.

So, in relation to the shelving image above, I'll roughly say:

Huge:

13 kg

Big:

7 kg

Medium:

5 kg

Small:

2 kg

So the power she's using in that picture is:

(3 huge books, 82 large, 46 medium, 70 small)

3 * 13 + 82 * 7 + 46 * 5 + 70 * 2

= 39 + 574 + 230 + 140

= 983 kg!

That's a ton of books!

(Yeah... Pun again.)

post-1477-0-40207200-1343032955.png

(If you didn't open the first spoiler you wouldn't see the first pun...)

(credit: http://eagle1division.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d4rfbyj )

So she's holding them against gravity.

Every second, gravity would send them at 9.82 m/s, giving the total mass of 983 kg an energy of:

KE = 0.5 * 983 * 9.82^2

= 47,397 Joules.

So to keep them stationary, she's putting out about 47.4 Kilowatts of power.

I realize I used a lot of very big estimations, and it's not the most accurate figure in the world, but it's just what we're going to have to work with until Hasbro and the Department Of Defense's Defense Advanced Research Program Agency (DARPA) and MIT accept my design for a hyperdimensional gate to travel to Equestria and conduct scientific study there on magic and use it to help humanity and become all-powerful.

So how big is her horn glow?

Work:

This is a bit more tricky. For this run, I used two cones, the bigger, rear cone will be the volume, and I'll

subtract the volume of the smaller frontal cone to get it by itself.

Then, I'll have to find the volume of her horn and subtract that.

post-1477-0-20608300-1343032904_thumb.png

44.45 cm = 171 px

r1 = radius of larger cone

r2 = radius of smaller cone

h1 = total height

h2 = height of smaller cone only

h3 = height of glow

r1 = 29 * 44.45 / 171 = 7.5383 cm

r2 = 17.5 * 44.45 / 171 = 4.549 cm

h1 = 174 * 44.45 / 171 = 45.2298 cm

h2 = 82 * 44.45 / 171 = 23.9146 cm

h3 = h2 – h1 = 21.3152 cm

V1 = Pi * 7.5383^2 * 45.2298 * 1/3

= 2,691.54 cm^3

V2 = Pi * 4.549^2 * 23.9146 * 1/3

= 518.23 cm^3

Glow Volume (including horn)

2,691.54 - 518.23

= 2,173.31 cm^3

Watt per volume:

47,400 W / 2,173.31

= 21.81 W/cm^3

Alright, Summary of Data Point One:

Power: 47.4 kW

Glow Volume (including horn) : 2,173.31 cm^3

21.81 W/cm^3

Glow Length: 21.3152 cm

2.22 kW/cm

Alright, now for another example. What better than the one I covered in the OP?

Power: 380 kW

Glow Volume:

Once again, I'm using a cylinder and a cone. That seems to be a very useful simulation shape...

Anyways,

post-1477-0-05417700-1343032917_thumb.png

44.45 cm = 163 px

Variables:

r = radius of cylinder and cone base

h1 = cylinder height

h2 = cone height

v1 = cylinder volume

v2 = cone volume

h3 = glow length

r = 278 * 44.45 / (163 * 2) = 37.9052 cm

h1 = 286 * 44.45 / 163 = 77.9920 cm

h2 = 127 * 44.45 / 163 = 34.6328 cm

h3 = h1 + h2 = 112.6248 cm

v1 = Pi * 37.9052^2 * 77.992

= 352,044.46 cm^3

v2 = Pi * 37.9052^2 * 34.6328 * 1/3

= 52,109.13 cm^3

Hornglow volume: 404,153.59 cm^3

Here goes:

Alright, Summary of Data Point Two:

Power: 380 kW

Glow Volume (including horn) : 404,153.59 cm^3

0.94 W/cm^3

Glow Length: 112.6248 cm

3.374 kW/cm

Interesting! The energy per hornglow volume changed by an entire order of magnitude! Here's data point one again:

Summary of Data Point One:

Power: 47.4 kW

Glow Volume (including horn) : 2,173.31 cm^3

21.81 W/cm^3

Glow Length: 21.3152 cm

2.22 kW/cm

The amount of difference in-between the kW/cm figures is well within error. It may very well be that glow length is directly proportional to power output...

Well, that's all I have for now. I actually wrote a whole bunch about this scene:

post-1477-0-76261500-1343032855_thumb.png

and found that she exerted 2.853 kW, only to realize, because she's facing away from the camera, that I can't determine the size of the horn glow, so I can't use this for a data point.

Though it should be noted, this is an order of magnitude less power than she used on shelving day, yet her horn seems to be glowing much larger than usual.

Obviously it's because it's just a TV show and it's not made by physcists who are making it their own fictional laws and making the show accurate to it Twilight's power has improved drastically since season 1, and especially this particular episode. In the first few, she was much less powerful than later on, this is even before “Boast Busters”.

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 2

Twilight Sparkle is to stronk amazing. Good job on your math!

post-4014-0-34958400-1343039980.png

Twilight approves this thread! And you get a brohoof from me!

• Brohoof 1

well you seem to have missed out one thing , its a cartoon so all Sciency stuff aside she is as powerful as the writers make her.

now on to the subject of could twilight stop a bullet with telecenisis, answer no (unless the writers will it)

now my evedence come from BioShock for those who havent played it there these tape that you can pick up about plasmid power and on is telecenisis, and the sientist stats that the subject could not stop a bullet, not due to the power of the plasmid but the reaction time of the person.

in short Twilight couldnt stop a bullet because by the time she would be able to calculate the speed and forcer of the bullet and compensate her power for it the bullet would have already passed though her brain resulting in a very dead Twilight.

Force field spell would be more effective against bullet as long as they are not coming from diffrent directions

I admit it, I'm not so good at math; such as algebra, square roots, times (I know a little bit), divides (same thing), etc.

BTW, I say Twilight Sparkle is quite a GENIUS like Einstein. :wacko:

+1 brohoof is not enough to encourage the awesomeness displayed here. Is it just a little scary? Yes. Is it amazing? Also yes. As much as I love math, it's not usually something I do just for fun, though you've certainly inspired me otherwise.

Though...I would raise an issue with using kW/cm as a unit measurement for data points. When I did my (extremely rough) calculations, I assumed volume and power were related, not length and power. Then again, you noted a massive difference between W/cm^3...

I guess this is why we do science. To figure this stuff out. For all we know, our assumptions could be wrong*.

FOR SCIENCE!

*In the spoiler below, I'm going to list everything I can think of that could throw anything and/or everything off. Keep in mind, it's more of me being nit-picky; overall, I still think you've done GREAT work; you more than deserve the four brohooves given to each of your posts in this thread.

Equestria's acceleration due to gravity may not necessarily be ~9.81m/s^2

The "eight foot candy cane" used as a measuring stick could have been a few inches longer or shorter, and Twilight could have merely been rounding off. (We call this human...er..."pony error")

A foot as defined by Twilight (in the phrase "eight foot candy cane") may not be the same distance as the foot we define.

We can't be sure what the "eight feet" refers to. It might be the distance from the base of the candy cane to the point where it begins to curve. It might be the distance of the straight cylinder plus the arc-length distance of the curved cylinder. It might be the distance it occupied when standing up (which is more or less what you measured).

Everypony's head may not be the same size.

Due to stance, Scootaloo's height as measured in the first and second images may not be equal.

When she initially picked it up, the water tower may not have been completely filled with water; this could have drastically altered its mass.

well you seem to have missed out one thing , its a cartoon so all Sciency stuff aside she is as powerful as the writers make her.

now on to the subject of could twilight stop a bullet with telecenisis, answer no (unless the writers will it)

now my evedence come from BioShock for those who havent played it there these tape that you can pick up about plasmid power and on is telecenisis, and the sientist stats that the subject could not stop a bullet, not due to the power of the plasmid but the reaction time of the person.

in short Twilight couldnt stop a bullet because by the time she would be able to calculate the speed and forcer of the bullet and compensate her power for it the bullet would have already passed though her brain resulting in a very dead Twilight.

Force field spell would be more effective against bullet as long as they are not coming from diffrent directions

The trick would be this:

A professional league batter doesn't calculate the force needed to hit a baseball. I assume magic works in a similar way. It's intuitive, more than anything. What would take time is finding and feeling the object, or however they "lock on" to a "target".

Someone points a gun at her, she instantly knows it's going to be the bullet she needs to "lock on" to, in about the time it takes the person to aim and pull the trigger, she's already "locked" and pushing.

+1 brohoof is not enough to encourage the awesomeness displayed here. Is it just a little scary? Yes. Is it amazing? Also yes. As much as I love math, it's not usually something I do just for fun, though you've certainly inspired me otherwise.

Though...I would raise an issue with using kW/cm as a unit measurement for data points. When I did my (extremely rough) calculations, I assumed volume and power were related, not length and power. Then again, you noted a massive difference between W/cm^3...

I guess this is why we do science. To figure this stuff out. For all we know, our assumptions could be wrong*.

FOR SCIENCE!

*In the spoiler below, I'm going to list everything I can think of that could throw anything and/or everything off. Keep in mind, it's more of me being nit-picky; overall, I still think you've done GREAT work; you more than deserve the four brohooves given to each of your posts in this thread.

Equestria's acceleration due to gravity may not necessarily be ~9.81m/s^2

The "eight foot candy cane" used as a measuring stick could have been a few inches longer or shorter, and Twilight could have merely been rounding off. (We call this human...er..."pony error")

A foot as defined by Twilight (in the phrase "eight foot candy cane") may not be the same distance as the foot we define.

We can't be sure what the "eight feet" refers to. It might be the distance from the base of the candy cane to the point where it begins to curve. It might be the distance of the straight cylinder plus the arc-length distance of the curved cylinder. It might be the distance it occupied when standing up (which is more or less what you measured).

Everypony's head may not be the same size.

Due to stance, Scootaloo's height as measured in the first and second images may not be equal.

When she initially picked it up, the water tower may not have been completely filled with water; this could have drastically altered its mass.

Most of those things, are impossible to know for sure, unless in some future episode the writers decide to hire consultants, and make a physically-accurate scene in Twili's lab where she has a wall or something marked off in distance units. That would be pure gold :D lol.

But until that happens, we assume everything in the show is the same as Earth, unless stated otherwise, and what appears is the case, if it doesn't contradict possibility (I.e, some things I take as cartoonization, like the piano being dropped on Twilight's head and her surviving, or Pinkie chasing Rainbow Dash. Just an exaggerated way of depicting something, that in reality, occurred more realistically).

So because of that, we assume heads are the same size, g = g, and "feet" means "feet", and in their world the measurement "foot" would be nothing more than a homonym with what spike has on the end of his legs, "feet", in much the same way that a "pound" is both a unit of weight and a homonym for a place where stray animals are taken, a "pound" (which, off-topic, I find extremely cruel).

And I did notice Scoot's stance is different, and I believe I reduced the error a bit by accounting for that. All things considered, though, I would say no more than a +/- 15% error exists.

But the biggest error will be Twilight's, in her estimation of 8 feet. I'm hoping it's the most intuitive - what I measured - and I'm hoping her telekinesis somehow lets her be extraordinarily good at guesstimating size.

For that, I'd add another error margin of about 0.5/8ths, or 6%, assuming she rounded, and would've rounded to the nearest half-foot, but also lost some accuracy in guesstimating.

I could keep going, but all in all, you see what I'm getting at. I wouldn't have thought to measure length as a direct indicator of power output either, but it's well within the error that it probably is.

The volume, then, could be something like a measure of wasted power that failed to convert the "Target"'s thermal potential into kinetic, because all along, I've only been measuring effective output.

It's very likely, then, that volume is directly proportional to actual output, but length is a measure of effective output, where

actual - effective = waste.

Which would make sense. As her total output increases, it becomes less efficient.

All of this would be interesting to discover with more data points. I might be missing some, if someone could find some that'd be great :D

I could use the Ursa, I believe the glow length and volume go slightly up in that part.

Oh, and as for the water tower not being completely full, if you notice I put the water height a bit lower than the top of the cylinder, which basing off of how the water fell out of the water tower moments later, seems to be about the right amount.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUph092Wyec

Good. now find out applejack's bucking power, see if she is strong than Chuck Norris or something..haha :P

See if she could stop a speeding out-of-control vehicle going down a hill to doom!...

Wait, she can. Lol.

Actually, if I wanted to find her kick-force, that's probably the scene I'd use ;)

(Mare Do Well)

That'd be a bazillion times easier than the craziness that'd be involved trying to find out how hard she kicks to get apples out of trees :P

• Brohoof 1

The trick would be this:

A professional league batter doesn't calculate the force needed to hit a baseball. I assume magic works in a similar way. It's intuitive, more than anything. What would take time is finding and feeling the object, or however they "lock on" to a "target".

Someone points a gun at her, she instantly knows it's going to be the bullet she needs to "lock on" to, in about the time it takes the person to aim and pull the trigger, she's already "locked" and pushing.

note: "speeding bullet" so she starts after the bullet is fired meaning in that time she would need to pin point the bullet producing enough magic to stop it compleatly within half a second, there is also there is the factors of fear and dought as well, and it all about reaction time not magicel prowess, her best bet would be to holt the slider in the gun and pray the bullet doesnt fire because she would be unable to get the bullet as its in the gun.

The human mind usues a mere 100 Watts to operate, 1,000 wats are in a killowatt. so twighlight puts out about 47.4 Killo watts and since 10 humans are needed to amass a killowatt, then 474 human minds are equevlent to Twightlight potential. My god, SOME ONE GET THE HOLY HAND GERNADE!

The human mind usues a mere 100 Watts to operate, 1,000 wats are in a killowatt. so twighlight puts out about 47.4 Killo watts and since 10 humans are needed to amass a killowatt, then 474 human minds are equevlent to Twightlight potential. My god, SOME ONE GET THE HOLY HAND GERNADE!

It's a lost cause. Assuming a hand grenade weighs 1kg (which is probably a gross overestimate, but it's better that way, and an easier number to work with), she could propel the grenade back at you at roughly a speed of 217m/s in one second spent doing telekinetic magic. That's roughly 485 miles per hour. In other words, you'll never throw it hard enough to get it and keep it in fatality range. In OTHER other words, she can probably kill you using the force of the speeding grenade alone, never mind the blast.

It's probably a MUCH better idea to simply not make her angry. I doubt she'll kill you with that power if you don't give her a reason.

It's a lost cause. Assuming a hand grenade weighs 1kg (which is probably a gross overestimate, but it's better that way, and an easier number to work with), she could propel the grenade back at you at roughly a speed of 217m/s in one second spent doing telekinetic magic. That's roughly 485 miles per hour. In other words, you'll never throw it hard enough to get it and keep it in fatality range. In OTHER other words, she can probably kill you using the force of the speeding grenade alone, never mind the blast.

It's probably a MUCH better idea to simply not make her angry. I doubt she'll kill you with that power if you don't give her a reason.

i supose your right, but if she DOES turn evil i doubt she could do the same thing with the worlds heavist nuke, the Tsar Bomb weighing in at 27 Tons and haveing a Blast yeild of 50 MegaTons of TNT.

i supose your right, but if she DOES turn evil i doubt she could do the same thing with the worlds heavist nuke, the Tsar Bomb weighing in at 27 Tons and haveing a Blast yeild of 50 MegaTons of TNT.

That might work...Assuming she uses all 380kW of her power and 27 tons is about 24500kg, she might be in trouble.

MATH TIME!

KE = mass * velocity^2

We have mass, but we need velocity. I'm going to assume that the nuke's terminal velocity is the same as a human's, which is about 120 MPH.

120mi/hr = ~53.6m/s

mass = 24500kg

velocity = 53.6m/s

KE = 24500 * 53.6^2 = ~70MJ (70 million joules, 70 megajoules)

That's a lot.

t = energy / power

t = 70,000,000 / 380,000 = ~184 seconds = 3 minutes + 4 seconds

That...is a LOT of exertion.

Still, assume she could keep 380kW of power maintained for that long. How far would the nuke fall in that time?

Now, I'm too lazy to get out my tool called "calculus", so instead I'm going to compute a distance based on a constant deceleration from 53.6m/s to 0, over 184 seconds. (The deceleration isn't actually constant, rather, it increases with time, so the distance it would fall is going to be at LEAST this value)

vi = initial velocity = 53.6m/s

vf = final velocity = 0m/s

t = time = 184sec

d = distance

d = .5(vi+vf)*t

d = .5(53.6)*184

d = ~4931m = ~3.06 miles

In conclusion, if Twilight doesn't spot that nuke heading for Ponyville while it's at LEAST 3 miles away, she's screwed...

But honestly, who in their right mind would nuke Ponyville?

That might work...Assuming she uses all 380kW of her power and 27 tons is about 24500kg, she might be in trouble.

MATH TIME!

KE = mass * velocity^2

We have mass, but we need velocity. I'm going to assume that the nuke's terminal velocity is the same as a human's, which is about 120 MPH.

120mi/hr = ~53.6m/s

mass = 24500kg

velocity = 53.6m/s

That's a lot.

t = energy / power

Still, assume she could keep 380kW of power maintained for that long. How far would the nuke fall in that time?

Now, I'm too lazy to get out my tool called "calculus", so instead I'm going to compute a distance based on a constant deceleration from 53.6m/s to 0, over 184 seconds. (The deceleration isn't actually constant, rather, it increases with time, so the distance it would fall is going to be at LEAST this value)

t = time = 184sec

d = distance

d = .5(vi+vf)*t

d = .5(53.6)*184

d = ~4931m = ~3.06 miles

In conclusion, if Twilight doesn't spot that nuke heading for Ponyville while it's at LEAST 3 miles away, she's screwed...

I was assuming Twighlight turned evil, and a really didn't think about innocent civilians. Now if it wasn't a kids show she would probably kill all of them off, or save a group of them and usuing her wide range of spells control them and destory Canterlot.

(edited)

note: "speeding bullet" so she starts after the bullet is fired meaning in that time she would need to pin point the bullet producing enough magic to stop it compleatly within half a second, there is also there is the factors of fear and dought as well, and it all about reaction time not magicel prowess, her best bet would be to holt the slider in the gun and pray the bullet doesnt fire because she would be unable to get the bullet as its in the gun.

MATH TIME!

KE = mass * velocity^2

120mi/hr = ~53.6m/s

mass = 24500kg

velocity = 53.6m/s

That's a lot.

t = energy / power

t = time = 184sec

d = distance

d = .5(vi+vf)*t

d = .5(53.6)*184

d = ~4931m = ~3.06 miles

I was going to reply to these... I was going to talk about how you can't use the terminal velocity figure, but have to take gravity into account, and then reference my 380 kW figure, and then her 3-4.5 MW figure...

BUT I FORGOT SOMETHING

IN THE OP

HOW DID EVERYPONY MISS IT!?!?!?!

post-1477-0-27021200-1343094260_thumb.png

I FORGOT SOMETHING BIG. SOMETHING MAJOR.

post-1477-0-48477700-1343094306_thumb.gif

I FORGOT GRAVITY!

Posted Image

There. I said it. Now I'm gonna go hide in a corner in shame. I could fix the post, but I dunno if I have the guts to do that. I had everything. I was trusted, respected, popular, smart, but I already admitted it, and my "popular" post is

WRONG!

Wow. I'm not even really joking. I legitimately feel horrible now. I had everything so great, was doing so well and everything, but I wasn't just a little wrong, I'm very, very, very, very, very wrong!

Posted Image

I guess I'd better fix the numbers...

I'll go edit the OP, I guess...

:(

EDIT:

OP edited... *sigh*

I should go to sleep now.

But, the good news is Twilight is way more powerful than even before.

I mean, it bothered the crap out of me that according to your math she'd even struggle with a ~20 ton bomb, not even against the full force of it's weight, when she's lifted a 220 ton water tower!

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 1