mega thread Last Poster Wins

Discord!

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

You think you are sooooo coooool with that MS-DOS mumbo jumbo talk, huh???? :dry:

No, just old. I can remember when they wrote it, and again later when windows was a 16 bit app that you ran on dos called windows.exe :)

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CypherHoof said:

No, just old. I can remember when they wrote it, and again later when windows was a 16 bit app that you ran on dos called windows.exe :)

win.com

I know everything about MS-DOS and Windows. Challenge me!

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Okay, Mr know it all.

You see that minus sign at the top left corner of each window? What was it called (in Windows 3.X)?

IIRC the control menu - was originally the burger menu way back in windows 1.0 like a lot of the wimp interfaces at the time (gem, amiga's desktop, that sort of thing) which is now common again on phones.

3 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

IIRC the control menu - was originally the burger menu way back in windows 1.0 like a lot of the wimp interfaces at the time (gem, amiga's desktop, that sort of thing) which is now common again on phones.

It was called the "System Menu" in Windows 3.X, and it was changed to the "Window Menu" in Windows 95. Its keyboard shortcut is Alt+Space (try it, you'll be surprised it still works).

Do you know in which file, that menu is in? I can tell it is in the %windir%\system folder (%windir%\system32 in Windows NT and above)

Edited by Splashee
grammer
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

It was called the "System Menu" in Windows 3.X, and it was changed to the "Window Menu" in Windows 95. Its keyboard shortcut is Alt+Space (try it, you'll be surprised it still works).

Yup, still use the keyboard shortcuts all the time. :)

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Do you know in which file, that menu is in? I can tell it is in the %windir%\system folder (%windir%\system32 in Windows NT and above)

Not offhand - at a guess, the common dialog dll?

30 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Not offhand - at a guess, the common dialog dll?

In Windows 3.X, the icon (the minus sign and the child minus sign) are bitmap resources in the DISPLAY.DRV 16-bit driver (usually named VGA.DRV, or something else, see SYSTEM.INI for the name). But the menu itself is a resource stored in one of the most important files in Windows, called USER.EXE.

In Windows 9X, the icon and the menu resource are both in USER.EXE. That means they are resources shared in 16 bit protected mode. Every time your 32 bit program tries to show the menu, USER32.DLL has to trunk down to USER.EXE to access it.

In Windows NT, the menu is protected either in a server subsystem DLL called winsrv.dll for older than NT 4, and in the kernel driver win32k.sys for NT 4 and above.

Edited by Splashee
Just saying, I think I won this last poster wins game! No one responded!
  • Brohoof 1